FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

vsepr Apr 16, 13 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 20603164)
As a mile earning card, no. There are other cards which earns 4mile/$ which is way much better. But it's a bit better than the old Amex Krisflyer Gold (which is replaced by this card). However, you get a free night in that hotel brand and 4x lounge access (specific brand) annually. And of course 5000 KF miles upon sign up.

The T&Cs for this card is pretty tricky in terms of the bonus miles earned during the first 3 months usage.

Exactly!! Apply the card for the freebies only. After that can put away after first 3 months of usage. 1 KrisFlyer mile for every S$1.20 => $1 = 0.83 mile, => 2.083x only based on $2.50/mile.

"DBS Altitude and UOB PRVImiles is $1=1.6 miles." This is assuming that all your transactions in 1 statement are in multiples of exact S$5. On actual fact, you do not earn that rate. It is always lower than 1.6mile/S$1 and can be as low as 0.8008mile/S$1 for S$9.99, based on number of transactions and rounded down from $0.01 to $4.99.

For DBS Altitude, the correct wording should be: Earn 6 miles for every S$5 spent. Earn 8 miles for every S$5 spent above S$2000 per month from S$2005 onwards.
For UOB PRVI miles, the correct wording should be: Earn 8 miles for every S$5 spent.

lsed Apr 17, 13 5:08 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 20603164)
As a mile earning card, no. There are other cards which earns 4mile/$ which is way much better. But it's a bit better than the old Amex Krisflyer Gold (which is replaced by this card). However, you get a free night in that hotel brand and 4x lounge access (specific brand) annually. And of course 5000 KF miles upon sign up.

The T&Cs for this card is pretty tricky in terms of the bonus miles earned during the first 3 months usage.

Love how its the KF card but they throw you into the Sats lounge "Relax with complimentary access to airport lounges
Start your trip in style with 4 complimentary* access each year to any participating SATS Premier Lounge in Singapore"

And the KF / Star Gold lounge in SIN is an utter disgrace!
The F lounges - quite uninspired as well.
(Except for The Private Room. Love the baked lobster and 98 VC LGD)

enelym1978 Apr 17, 13 5:17 am

Agreed, we should just get it for the first year and cancel it before the end of the free year. At least you get a free hotel night and some lounge access.

it's way too expensive for what it is...

It does replace the existing Gold card though (I remember someone saying it doesn't). The Singapore AmEx website already removed the KF Gold card from its list. SQ's website still shows it, together with this new Ascend card... why am I not surprised haha?

lsed Apr 17, 13 5:22 am

Originally Posted by kunk00 (Post 20593631)
Are you sure there is a minimum of S500 and above? I usually only charge S 80 to get free airport transfer.

As of Apr 1 it is $500.

I'm wondering though. Few weeks back I had a stay at PH Tokyo. Can I use the transaction as a travel related charge for a future limo booking?

I guess I can say I prepaid the rate and havent stayed yet if they try to bill me the limo charge.

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20584750)
4 changes to AMEX in 2013::td:

1. Mileage conversion rate has increased wef 01 May 2013: from 1.6MR = 1 mile since the 1990s to 1.8MR = 1 mile.

2. GST is chargeable for annual fees now. GST used to be included in the annual fees. Anyway no one pays annual fees now.

3. Points required for redemption has increased. Last time 3500 points get you a $20 voucher, now need 3800 points.

4. Merchant list for 5x points from Friday to Sunday has been reduced. No more Cold Storage/Marketplace.

Holy crap they didnt even inform me it is changing to 1.8.

In fact I called 2 months back and ask if they would introduce conversion bonuses like the US does. WTH was I thinking.

To think I charged over 100K last year to my Amex Rewards card that earns peanuts and 90% of my spending is foreign currency, and they woudnt give me a bonus 5000 MR points when I paid my card fee like I did last year.

Then they tried to offer me other cards in the Platinum range that have benefits that are useless to me.

After that call I've cut my spending to $50 a month on my Amex card. Basically transactions that are less than $5 cause that would earn 0 on UOB.

aster Apr 17, 13 5:23 am

Had a strange situation at Meidi-Ya recently. They have one of these contactless terminals that show both the Visa/MC logo, but when I tried to pay using Paypass I was told Paywave (VISA) only. Well that's odd I thought. So I pointed to the MC logo on the terminal as well so the lady says, "let's try."

The terminal lit up with the message that it's ready and I tried using Paypass... but the lady was correct. The screen read "Payment method not supported." Wow.

I thought these terminals simultaneously accept Paypass/Paywave and it never, ever crossed by mind that it could be setup to accept just one and not the other.

carrotjuice Apr 17, 13 8:35 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20598384)
1 KrisFlyer mile for every S$1.20 => $1 = 0.83 mile, => 2.083x only based on $2.50/mile.

I don't quite understand the "2.083x only based on $2.50/mile" bit. Care to explain?

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20598384)
Anyway, if you pay the annual fee S$256.80 (incl. of GST), you get extra: 5x KrisFlyer miles* on all eligible purchases made in the first 3 months, up to a cap of 25,000 bonus miles.

My simplistic math: Currently spend S$1.20 to get 1 mile, so 5x means spend S$1.20 to get 5 miles, which works out to 4.16 miles per S$1 (very close to UOB Preferred Plat Amex for dining or UOB Preferred Plat Visa for paywave transactions at 4 miles per S$1)

Also I'm told that to reach the cap, it means spending only S$7,500 within the first 3 months. Annoying that there is a cap... I personally spend about S$12,000 per month. At best, I see this as "equivalent to" paying S$256.80 for the extra 25,000 miles.

Is it really worth the hassle of applying for a new Amex card and paying the fee just to earn the (capped) bonus??

SgFred Apr 17, 13 10:52 am

First year waiver

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 20605900)
I don't quite understand the "2.083x only based on $2.50/mile" bit. Care to explain?

My simplistic math: Currently spend S$1.20 to get 1 mile, so 5x means spend S$1.20 to get 5 miles, which works out to 4.16 miles per S$1 (very close to UOB Preferred Plat Amex for dining or UOB Preferred Plat Visa for paywave transactions at 4 miles per S$1)

Also I'm told that to reach the cap, it means spending only S$7,500 within the first 3 months. Annoying that there is a cap... I personally spend about S$12,000 per month. At best, I see this as "equivalent to" paying S$256.80 for the extra 25,000 miles.

Is it really worth the hassle of applying for a new Amex card and paying the fee just to earn the (capped) bonus??

if you spend 12k then maybe u should consider the free version

jagmeets Apr 17, 13 7:54 pm

UOB PRVI Miles Limo

Given the change requiring S$ 500 in a single receipt, had a small issue in that one of my upcoming trips didn't have a single large transaction charged to the card. I had, however, booked a ticket for 2 persons on the Expedia US site (~SGD350 pp). Expedia has always split the charge per ticket even if I'm doing a single transaction (so it shows as 2*S$350 charges instead of a single charge for S$700).

Called in, explained and got a 'needs to be a single receipt, so this is not eligible, but we will get a supervisor to call you back' (I had insisted with a 'do you really want me to stop using this card because of this reason' line).

They did give in - though not sure if that's as a one-off. Will see.

Oh, and i DO find the limo useful - given my departures are either early mornings from home, or friday evenings from the CBD - and the cars have always been pretty good (well mantained Mercs, and a new Chrysler once).

vsepr Apr 17, 13 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 20605900)

Normal 1x rate: S$2.50 earn 1 mile or S$1 earn 0.4mile. 1 mile for every $1.20 means 2.083x. 2x is S$1.25/mile. 3x is S$0.83/mile. 4x is S$0.625/mile. 5x is S$0.50/mile. 10x is S$0.25/mile.

vsepr Apr 17, 13 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 20605317)
As of Apr 1 it is $500.

I'm wondering though. Few weeks back I had a stay at PH Tokyo. Can I use the transaction as a travel related charge for a future limo booking?

I guess I can say I prepaid the rate and havent stayed yet if they try to bill me the limo charge.

Holy crap they didnt even inform me it is changing to 1.8.

In fact I called 2 months back and ask if they would introduce conversion bonuses like the US does. WTH was I thinking.

To think I charged over 100K last year to my Amex Rewards card that earns peanuts and 90% of my spending is foreign currency, and they woudnt give me a bonus 5000 MR points when I paid my card fee like I did last year.

Then they tried to offer me other cards in the Platinum range that have benefits that are useless to me.

After that call I've cut my spending to $50 a month on my Amex card. Basically transactions that are less than $5 cause that would earn 0 on UOB.

The notice is in your March 2013 AMEX statement under: Cardmember Offers and Information

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Membership Rewards Traveller Option enrolled Cardmembers: With effect from 1 May 2013, the points conversion rate for all participating Membership Rewards Frequent Flyer partners will be revised to 450 Membership Rewards points for 250 air miles.
Visit americanexpress.com.sg/membershiprewards for more details.

450 MR points = 250 miles
900 MR points = 500 miles
1800 MR points = 1000 miles
ie: 1.8 MR points = 1 mile

For Rewards Card, normal 1x: S$1.80 = 1 mile, S$1 = 0.556 mile.
For Platinum Credit Card, normal 1x: S$1.44 = 1 mile, S$1 = 0.694 mile.
(S$1.60 earn 2 MR points, 1.8 MR points = 1 mile, wef 01 May 2013)

carrotjuice Apr 17, 13 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20609575)
Normal 1x rate: S$2.50 earn 1 mile or S$1 earn 0.4mile. 1 mile for every $1.20 means 2.083x. 2x is S$1.25/mile. 3x is S$0.83/mile. 4x is S$0.625/mile. 5x is S$0.50/mile. 10x is S$0.25/mile.

Thanks for explanation.

So this means for the Ascend card:
- non fee paying at 2x earns 1 mile per S$1.20 spend or 0.83 mile per S$1 only
- fee paying at 5x earns 1 mile per S$0.50 spend or 2 miles per S$1 only
Correct?

If so, for those with UOB PRVI Amex and who isn't a first time applicant:
- it doesn't make sense to get the non fee paying Ascend because its earn rate is lower than UOB PRVI Amex
- again it doesn't make sense to pay the fee for Ascend for marginal 0.4 bonus miles per S$1 spend over UOB PRVI Amex, that's capped at S$7,500 spend
Thoughts?

carrotjuice Apr 17, 13 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 20609572)
Given the change requiring S$ 500 in a single receipt, had a small issue in that one of my upcoming trips didn't have a single large transaction charged to the card. I had, however, booked a ticket for 2 persons on the Expedia US site (~SGD350 pp). Expedia has always split the charge per ticket even if I'm doing a single transaction (so it shows as 2*S$350 charges instead of a single charge for S$700).

Called in, explained and got a 'needs to be a single receipt, so this is not eligible, but we will get a supervisor to call you back' (I had insisted with a 'do you really want me to stop using this card because of this reason' line).

They did give in - though not sure if that's as a one-off. Will see.

From my experience, UOB does exercise some discretion on this, especially when you "make a bit of noise". :)

enelym1978 Apr 17, 13 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20609617)
The notice is in your March 2013 AMEX statement under: Cardmember Offers and Information

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Membership Rewards Traveller Option enrolled Cardmembers: With effect from 1 May 2013, the points conversion rate for all participating Membership Rewards Frequent Flyer partners will be revised to 450 Membership Rewards points for 250 air miles.
Visit americanexpress.com.sg/membershiprewards for more details.

450 MR points = 250 miles
900 MR points = 500 miles
1800 MR points = 1000 miles
ie: 1.8 MR points = 1 mile

For Rewards Card, normal 1x: S$1.80 = 1 mile, S$1 = 0.556 mile.
For Platinum Credit Card, normal 1x: S$1.44 = 1 mile, S$1 = 0.694 mile.
(S$1.60 earn 2 MR points, 1.8 MR points = 1 mile, wef 01 May 2013)

Oh wow I skipped that... I have so mar MR points.... I should consider converting to miles right before May 1st then?

vsepr Apr 17, 13 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by enelym1978 (Post 20610204)
Oh wow I skipped that... I have so mar MR points.... I should consider converting to miles right before May 1st then?

Yes, and you have 2 weekends left in April 2013 to earn 5x points and go as high as S$1=3.4375miles, CS/MP/Jasons is still a 5x merchant in 2013. Confirmed.

https://www.americanexpress.com/sg/p...ivetimes.shtml

vsepr Apr 17, 13 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 20610179)
Thanks for explanation.

So this means for the Ascend card:
- non fee paying at 2x earns 1 mile per S$1.20 spend or 0.83 mile per S$1 only
- fee paying at 5x earns 1 mile per S$0.50 spend or 2 miles per S$1 only
Correct?

If so, for those with UOB PRVI Amex and who isn't a first time applicant:
- it doesn't make sense to get the non fee paying Ascend because its earn rate is lower than UOB PRVI Amex
- again it doesn't make sense to pay the fee for Ascend for marginal 0.4 bonus miles per S$1 spend over UOB PRVI Amex, that's capped at S$7,500 spend
Thoughts?

My opinion on this is no need to pay the fee. Just apply the free Ascend card online before 31 July 2013, get the freebies and at most use for the first 3 months, S$1 = 1.66 miles. After that can keep in drawer collect dust.