FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

carrotjuice Apr 11, 13 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Archieflyer (Post 20572568)
Overall, the bonus is hardly attractive enough to change my charging patterns but given that I already use the PRVI Miles card as a main card, it's free miles for doing what I normally do.

Wonder if UOB actually thought through this promo and who exactly they intended to target... seems not those who they hope will switch spending to UOB cards, because that's too much bother for too little incentive. At the end this promo only (very minorly) "benefits" those who'd be using the same card anyway.

vsepr Apr 11, 13 7:30 pm

1 thing you must take note if you use UOB cards. The rate of 1.6mile/S$1 or 1.7mile/S$1 (incl 25% bonus) for UOB PRVI card is the maximum rate you can earn. The actual fact is, on a monthly statement basis, you do not earn that rate at all unless all your transactions are in multiples of S$5.
Say in a month's statement you have 10 transactions and each transaction has been rounded down S$4.99 and each transaction is S$19.99. You spent S$199.90 but is awarded 120 UNI$ or earn 240 miles. Hence the rate drops to 1.2mile/S$1.

yosithezet Apr 12, 13 4:28 am

Does the UOB PRIVI or any other card have the airport transport and Meet & Greet that the HsBC Infinite has?

lcpteck Apr 12, 13 5:33 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 20578998)
Does the UOB PRIVI or any other card have the airport transport and Meet & Greet that the HsBC Infinite has?

UOB PRVI offers a 1 way airport transfer (home to airport) with a prior travel related transaction (update to 3 months before date of transfer) of minimum S$500 and above.

Do note it has to be a single transaction and related to either hotel bookings, air tickets, or travel agency spending.

SgFred Apr 12, 13 6:09 am

AMEX Singapore is terrible!

Got my Amex platinum credit card last year and used it sparingly because the earnings on other cards seem to be better.

However, I noticed half of my MR points were missing when I looked at the statements.

So I called Amex to inquire.

The response took 2 weeks, and they seem to have lost the details of my compliant.

Another week passed and I received a rude phone call telling me the points are credited and they have done all they can.

I called back to cancel the card and was told they would review and perhaps give some goodwill.

Another week passed and today they called and said they do not provide any goodwill gifts at all.

Considering the poor earn rates and service, I see no reason to keep the card.

This post is to alert everyone to review their points regularly and to avoid Amex terrible service.

SingaporeDon Apr 12, 13 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 20579183)
UOB PRVI offers a 1 way airport transfer (home to airport) with a prior travel related transaction (update to 3 months before date of transfer) of minimum S$500 and above.

Do note it has to be a single transaction and related to either hotel bookings, air tickets, or travel agency spending.

I guess I can use my Lifemiles purchase as qualifying travel spend as it shows up as a Taca Airlines purchase.

vsepr Apr 13, 13 6:17 am

Originally Posted by SgFred (Post 20579272)
Got my Amex platinum credit card last year and used it sparingly because the earnings on other cards seem to be better.

However, I noticed half of my MR points were missing when I looked at the statements.

So I called Amex to inquire.

The response took 2 weeks, and they seem to have lost the details of my compliant.

Another week passed and I received a rude phone call telling me the points are credited and they have done all they can.

I called back to cancel the card and was told they would review and perhaps give some goodwill.

Another week passed and today they called and said they do not provide any goodwill gifts at all.

Considering the poor earn rates and service, I see no reason to keep the card.

This post is to alert everyone to review their points regularly and to avoid Amex terrible service.

4 changes to AMEX in 2013::td:

1. Mileage conversion rate has increased wef 01 May 2013: from 1.6MR = 1 mile since the 1990s to 1.8MR = 1 mile.

2. GST is chargeable for annual fees now. GST used to be included in the annual fees. Anyway no one pays annual fees now.

3. Points required for redemption has increased. Last time 3500 points get you a $20 voucher, now need 3800 points.

4. Merchant list for 5x points from Friday to Sunday has been reduced. No more Cold Storage/Marketplace.

Archieflyer Apr 13, 13 8:23 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20584750)
4. Merchant list for 5x points from Friday to Sunday has been reduced. No more Cold Storage/Marketplace.

Cold Storage is still giving 5x points. Quite a number of people in the hwz forum have attested to this and I have also personally tried it and got the 5x points.

vsepr Apr 13, 13 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Archieflyer (Post 20585165)
Cold Storage is still giving 5x points. Quite a number of people in the hwz forum have attested to this and I have also personally tried it and got the 5x points.

Weird...some ppl got 5x points for CS/MP/Jasons in March 2013:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/cr...819852-55.html

I called up AMEX customer service. They say CS/MP/Jasons still gives 5x points for Fri-Sun in 2013. The only difference is that there is no more discounts for AMEX cards like it used to be, hence it is removed from the "Selects" website.
http://offers.amexnetwork.com/sg/xo-weekends

That's why it was not removed in the 5x merchant list here:
https://www.americanexpress.com/sg/p...ivetimes.shtml

Quick!! 2 more weekends in April 2013 to earn 5x points and transfer to miles at 1.6MR = 1 mile!!

Awesom Andy Apr 14, 13 10:43 am

I'm now quite relieved/happy that I spent the miles on a SIN-SFO trip last month.

lokijuh Apr 14, 13 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20584750)
4 changes to AMEX in 2013::td:

With these and the PPS amex changes, are Amex actively trying to get rid of customers?

When I rang to cancel my PPS amex, I got the hard sell first on the "enhancements" to the PPS amex, and then on switching to another card (which of course I wasn't interested in as they seem to be inferior to many Visa's out there).

SgFred Apr 14, 13 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 20592523)
With these and the PPS amex changes, are Amex actively trying to get rid of customers?

When I rang to cancel my PPS amex, I got the hard sell first on the "enhancements" to the PPS amex, and then on switching to another card (which of course I wasn't interested in as they seem to be inferior to many Visa's out there).

Well I'm still pissed. No way are they good to new members either.

No idea what Amex is doing.

carrotjuice Apr 15, 13 12:57 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 20592523)

Funny you should say that. I had similar experience when I rang to cancel.

For every hard sell they gave, I had a ready rebuttal.

At the end they admitted defeat that Amex isn't compelling anymore.

Wonder who are the crazies who actually renew and pay their annual fee?! ;)

kunk00 Apr 15, 13 2:47 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 20579183)

Are you sure there is a minimum of S500 and above? I usually only charge S 80 to get free airport transfer.

SgFred Apr 15, 13 3:36 am

Originally Posted by kunk00 (Post 20593631)
Are you sure there is a minimum of S500 and above? I usually only charge S 80 to get free airport transfer.

heard this is the new rule, but I never got an update from UOB

$500 isnt a lot anyway.