FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

slacker Mar 16, 13 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Archieflyer (Post 20424189)
Are there even any SCB cards (in SG) that give a good miles earning rate? :p

ya, even their Visa Infinite card for Priority Banking Cust only earn 1 mile per $ spent. but their earn/burn ratio for other sort of redemption are quite decent though.

used to charge most of my stuff to their cards, but due to mileage earning rate, I have switched out of it.

but SCB cards are good for some reasons or scenarios :p

jagmeets Mar 16, 13 8:01 pm

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

Scb- decent for the 'free' miles on mortgage, cash and investment balances.
(Need a charge on your visa infinite each month for these to accrue- lower earning on non visa infinite/non priority banking accounts)

Additionally, you can top up points when transferring :at S$0.02/mile. If you have 50% of the points you intend to transfer, you can purchase upto 70% of the total points being transferred.

vsepr Mar 18, 13 12:36 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 20398988)
Typical of Singapore credit cards, there are lots of terms pertaining to the points earning capability. Take for example UOB:
- PRVI Amex earns 2 miles (1 UNI$) per S$1 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for SPC petrol
- Preferred Plat Amex earns 4 miles (8 UNI$) per S$1 for dining locally and foreign

But in the monthly statement, the UNI$ from multiple cards are credited into a big pot and the statement only breaks down to say X UNI$ earned + Y bonus UNI$ earned for that month. I've heard of people not being credited with the right bonus mainly because certain merchants have not been assigned the right merchant code (MCC).

How is it even possible to verify that UOB has credited you with the right bonus UNI$ for selected transactions, as opposed to just the regular UNI$ in every month's statement?

Do you call up and ask the customer service person to check transaction by transaction? Or too much hassle to bother?

UOB cards earn 1UNI$ for every S$5 spent. Should be:
- PRVI Amex earns 10 miles per S$5 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for SPC petrol
- Preferred Plat Amex earns 20 miles per S$5 for dining locally and foreign

If you charge <S$5, u earn 0UNI$.

Savage25 Mar 18, 13 7:47 am

Applied for a DBS Altitude Visa last Thursday.

Today I get a letter in the mail from DBS: "We have reviewed your application and regret to inform you that your application has not been successful." :eek:

Just now a courier just knocked on my door and handed me a DBS Altitude Visa with a credit limit significantly north of $100,000 and more than 10 times my monthly income. :eek::eek:

That's like two operational failures at DBS in a day (isn't the MAS guideline for a credit limit of 4 times your monthly income?).

SirJman Mar 18, 13 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Savage25 (Post 20439176)
That's like two operational failures at DBS in a day (isn't the MAS guideline for a credit limit of 4 times your monthly income?).

Citi refuses to give me a limit which is higher than 1/2 a months salary.

SC even denied me a card that only needed 40,000 annual income!

Not sure what's going on...Sure I'm youngish, but that can't be the only factor!

Awesom Andy Mar 18, 13 8:32 pm

Just now a courier just knocked on my door and handed me a DBS Altitude Visa with a credit limit significantly north of $100,000 and more than 10 times my monthly income. :eek::eek:

If I remember correctly, high income earners can have a limit higher than 4 times their income.

demue Mar 18, 13 11:48 pm

Applied for a DBS Altitude Visa last Thursday.

Today I get a letter in the mail from DBS: "We have reviewed your application and regret to inform you that your application has not been successful." :eek:

One reason why I don't want to bank with DBS (add a previous project experience too ;)). My Citi Platinum also has an exorbitant limit north of 100K SGD and I have no idea how they came up with it. I charge maybe 300-500 SGD a month for Cold storage department stores and some small stuff and that's it. I mean if that would be 4x monthly pay I would be looking at a serious raise anytime soon :D

demue Mar 18, 13 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by SirJman (Post 20439200)
Citi refuses to give me a limit which is higher than 1/2 a months salary.

SC even denied me a card that only needed 40,000 annual income!

Not sure what's going on...Sure I'm youngish, but that can't be the only factor!

Yeah sometimes it is odd. Maybank did a whole dance with me for raising my limit from 10K to 20K SGD a month on my Platinum Horizon as I wanted to use it for foreign spend, cover company travel stuff like hotels etc. and had a Europe vacation coming up.

In addition to having my salary and CPF data I also had a decent savings account with them so all taken together the risk was super low. Still they were totally incapable (still are to some degree). I almost handed the card back to them, but 10x Points for EZ-Link top up made me suck it up :)

Fight it if you care for the card or just go with one of the many other options. YMMV.

demue Mar 19, 13 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 20443187)
If I remember correctly, high income earners can have a limit higher than 4 times their income.

That would explain things. I still find 100K plus spending limits on CCs silly unless our card holder shows that kind of spending and has finances to back it up like high-net worth individuals or folks running company cost / spending over a CC.

SirJman Mar 19, 13 12:09 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 20443961)
In addition to having my salary and CPF data I also had a decent savings account with them so all taken together the risk was super low. Still they were totally incapable (still are to some degree). I almost handed the card back to them, but 10x Points for EZ-Link top up made me suck it up :)

Fight it if you care for the card or just go with one of the many other options. YMMV.

Maybe has to do with the fact that I am not a PR, and therefore don't pay into CPF?

My wife just opened a citigold account in her home country (Korea), so if that doesn't translate into any better services once we open one here, we'll be moving to another card.

lingua101 Mar 19, 13 4:46 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 20443939)
One reason why I don't want to bank with DBS (add a previous project experience too ;)). My Citi Platinum also has an exorbitant limit north of 100K SGD and I have no idea how they came up with it. I charge maybe 300-500 SGD a month for Cold storage department stores and some small stuff and that's it. I mean if that would be 4x monthly pay I would be looking at a serious raise anytime soon :D

If I am not wrong that if you earn $120K and above, the sky is the limit. It is up to the bank to decide

feizhu Mar 19, 13 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Gymrat76 (Post 20410851)
Well, I just called to re-verify and the CSO assured me that the 2.8 miles promotion is available for all cardmembers.. will wait for my statement I guess

I just called ANZ to dispute my bonus points. They short changed me about 3K points and the CSO mentioned something about only giving out bonus points for the highest spending currency during the period. She also said she would direct my query to the relevant department to see if my entire foreign currency expenditure could be eligible for the bonus points :confused:

So please do check your bonus points...

hclee01 Mar 19, 13 9:24 am

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 20444648)
If I am not wrong that if you earn $120K and above, the sky is the limit. It is up to the bank to decide

This is what it is indicated in the AMEX charge card website, basically you can get a "limitless" card:

https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet...GoldCard.html#

1. As per MAS regulations, no pre-set spending limit on your Charge Card may be granted only if your current income is at least S$120,000 p.a. If your income is between S$30,000 p.a. and S$120,000 p.a., your limit may be set to up to four times your monthly income combined for all your Credit and Charge Cards with American Express.

vsepr Mar 19, 13 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by feizhu (Post 20445461)
I just called ANZ to dispute my bonus points. They short changed me about 3K points and the CSO mentioned something about only giving out bonus points for the highest spending currency during the period. She also said she would direct my query to the relevant department to see if my entire foreign currency expenditure could be eligible for the bonus points :confused:

So please do check your bonus points...

I got my bonus 1.4mile/S$1 for foreign spend before 31 Dec 12 after asking the CSO to check and after waiting a few weeks.

The CSO is trying to smoke you. The promotion is for everyone who holds the card, regardless of whether you are a new to ANZ cardholder or not. No such thing as highest spending currency.

feizhu Mar 19, 13 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20448997)
I got my bonus 1.4mile/S$1 for foreign spend before 31 Dec 12 after asking the CSO to check and after waiting a few weeks.

The CSO is trying to smoke you. The promotion is for everyone who holds the card, regardless of whether you are a new to ANZ cardholder or not. No such thing as highest spending currency.

Thanks for the confirmation. I understand that the highest spending currency methodology is for the ANZ Visa Infinite and not the Travel card. I think they need to train their CSOs properly :td: