FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

vsepr Mar 12, 2013 5:31 am

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 20405053)
Existing card holder. I thought overseas spending also got bonus?

I called up ANZ. They say the 2.8mile/S$1 is for new to ANZ cardholders only, meaning cannot hold any ANZ card when you apply for the ANZ Travel Card. Nvm, I will call them up to ask them to check on it. Thanks!

vsepr Mar 12, 2013 6:21 am

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 20405155)
Then should redeem it before 1 May right

Yup, called AMEX hotline to confirm on this. Wef 01 May 2013, the rate for miles conversion is 1.8MR points = 1 mile. AMEX card getting worse. Their rewards points to redeem vouchers increase in 2013 and now the mileage rate also increase.

hclee01 Mar 12, 2013 7:42 am

HSBC Visa Infinite Card Singapore Promotion

Just received a flyer from HSBC. Promotion mechanism is as follows:

From 15 March to 30 April 2013, you will now receive 2 air miles for every S$1 charged in Singapore with HSBC Visa Infinite Card.

Simply spend a minimum of S$10,000 locally on your HSBC Visa Infinite card to qualify. You will still continue to enjoy 2 air miles for every S$1 spent overseas.

This privilege is available to only the first 100 primary cardholders who spend at least S$10,000 locally on their HSBC Visa Infinite Card. Upon satisfying the minimum spend criteria, SMS us at 74722 with VI2 <Space> Name <Space> NRIC

T&C:
- Excludes funds transfer, cash advance, finance charges, late charges, fees and tax payments via HSBC tax payment facility

- For this promotion, cardholder is eligible to receive up to a maximum of 62,500 Additional Points.

- Additional Points will be credited to eligible cardholder's account by 31 May 2013.

Savage25 Mar 12, 2013 10:06 am

So, with the income tax season coming up, is paying a lump sum using the DBS Altitude Visa at an AXS machine the best way to earn miles?

aster Mar 12, 2013 11:38 am

Originally Posted by hclee01 (Post 20375494)
You will get 25,000 miles for the annual fee of S$535 paid. So if one is short of some miles, this can be one option to "buy" some miles cheaper than paying the top up via KrisFlyer.

In general I would take the Citi Prestige just for the annual fee that gives cheap miles, but as someone mentioned the relationship bonus is calculated annually so once again "thanks but no thanks, Citi." :)

aster Mar 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by hclee01 (Post 20405140)
I have just seen this note in my latest AMEX Plat Credit Card statement of account:

With effect from 1 May 2013, the points conversion rate for all participating Membership Rewards Frequent Flyer partners will be revised to 450 Membership Rewards points for 250 air miles. Visit americanexpress.com.sg/membershiprewards for more details.

This means that the conversion rate is worse off than before. Currently, based on the website, 1,600 points is required to redeem 1,000 miles. Going forward, you will need 1,800 points to redeem 1,000 miles.

Well it's no secret that most of us are not fans of directly-issued Amex cards (nor the KF ones). Seriously, the best deals have always revolved around other cards, and with this one just dropping down a notch you might want to consider switching.

aster Mar 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by hclee01 (Post 20375584)
http://www.uob.com.sg/assets/images/...Pg-560x180.jpg

If your transactions tend to be online transactions or at PayWave merchants, the UOB Preferred Visa Platinum Card will give good mileage rate.

Some of the PayWave Merchants:
http://www.uob.com.sg/assets/images/...sa_paywave.jpg

Do note the conditions on the online transactions though:

UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Cardmembers will earn 10X UNI$ for every S$5 spent with online merchants with effect from 6 March 2013. Such online merchants includes merchants that fall within the categories of bookstores, cinemas, entertainment, electronics, fast food, music and retail shopping, BUT excludes all travel, hotels, airlines, government, utilities, brokerage/securities, insurance, education and online gaming websites.

http://www.uob.com.sg/assets/pdfs/pe...atinumVisa.pdf

Wow, is this for real as in not just a promo but something that is here to stay? It does say that you enjoy these privileges all year round so this really has to be good news. For as long as this card is offered that is, because they could always "do the Citi" on us and make it disappear from their current offer. ;)

Visa PayWave is expanding rapidly and to be able to earn 4 miles/$ regardless of merchant but just due to payment method is absolutely exceptional. Plus I take it PayWave gives you up to $100 spend limits before you need to sign, which is much higher than the regular "no-signature" approach that some merchants use for Visa ($45 at Cold Storage).

lingua101 Mar 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by hclee01 (Post 20405695)
Just received a flyer from HSBC. Promotion mechanism is as follows:

From 15 March to 30 April 2013, you will now receive 2 air miles for every S$1 charged in Singapore with HSBC Visa Infinite Card.

Simply spend a minimum of S$10,000 locally on your HSBC Visa Infinite card to qualify. You will still continue to enjoy 2 air miles for every S$1 spent overseas.

This privilege is available to only the first 100 primary cardholders who spend at least S$10,000 locally on their HSBC Visa Infinite Card. Upon satisfying the minimum spend criteria, SMS us at 74722 with VI2 <Space> Name <Space> NRIC

T&C:
- Excludes funds transfer, cash advance, finance charges, late charges, fees and tax payments via HSBC tax payment facility

- For this promotion, cardholder is eligible to receive up to a maximum of 62,500 Additional Points.

- Additional Points will be credited to eligible cardholder's account by 31 May 2013.

The problem is my credit limit with them is not even $10,000!!!

lingua101 Mar 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20406981)
In general I would take the Citi Prestige just for the annual fee that gives cheap miles, but as someone mentioned the relationship bonus is calculated annually so once again "thanks but no thanks, Citi." :)

Please boycott this card for now. I found it is redicoulous, as there is no "real" benefit for most of us. At least they should throw in limo service to airport like any other "elite" credit card. Of course, another perks such as throw in 2-4 times free MasterCard Airport Concierge annually will be great.

After all, the card cost $535 and the miles suppose to be a "gift" not buying it.

SQueeze Mar 12, 2013 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20407227)
Wow, is this for real as in not just a promo but something that is here to stay? It does say that you enjoy these privileges all year round so this really has to be good news. For as long as this card is offered that is, because they could always "do the Citi" on us and make it disappear from their current offer. ;)

Visa PayWave is expanding rapidly and to be able to earn 4 miles/$ regardless of merchant but just due to payment method is absolutely exceptional. Plus I take it PayWave gives you up to $100 spend limits before you need to sign, which is much higher than the regular "no-signature" approach that some merchants use for Visa ($45 at Cold Storage).

I just looked at the website and it says 10x is also awarded for online transactions:

"Online shopping has never been more rewarding. Earn rewards faster with 10X UNI$ when you make purchases over the internet. Whether you are shopping for clothes, shoes, bags, electronic items, books or even paying for the latest app, movie tickets and your fast food delivery order online, you will earn 10 UNI$ for every S$5 spent. With the UNI$ earned, you can redeem for your rewards instantly at over 4,000 stores and restaurants islandwide with our Instant Rewards partners"

At first look, seems to be extremely generous, then there is the following T&C:

"Such online merchants
includes merchants that fall within the categories of bookstores, cinemas,
entertainment, electronics, fast food, music and retail shopping, BUT excludes all
travel, hotels, airlines, government, utilities, brokerage/securities, insurance,
education and online gaming websites."

But i.m.o still good overall and could easily be the best card out there at the moment.

Archieflyer Mar 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20406981)

Just curious but why is the relationship bonus being calculated annually a bad thing?

aster Mar 12, 2013 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by SQueeze (Post 20410325)
At first look, seems to be extremely generous, then there is the following T&C:

"Such online merchants
includes merchants that fall within the categories of bookstores, cinemas,
entertainment, electronics, fast food, music and retail shopping, BUT excludes all
travel, hotels, airlines, government, utilities, brokerage/securities, insurance,
education and online gaming websites."

But i.m.o still good overall and could easily be the best card out there at the moment.

True, the lack of 4 miles/$ for online spend on travel is a drawback to the online benefits of this card, though at least it pays to shop online using this card to get 4 miles/$ on foreign spend conducted this way...

I agree though that this is probably going to be the most valuable card out there to add to one's portfolio of CCs. Not so long ago we were crying over Citi pulling it's Platinum card that gave 2 miles/$ on supermarket spend and here we are with a card that gives an astronomical 4 miles.

Gymrat76 Mar 13, 2013 12:38 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20405207)
I called up ANZ. They say the 2.8mile/S$1 is for new to ANZ cardholders only, meaning cannot hold any ANZ card when you apply for the ANZ Travel Card. Nvm, I will call them up to ask them to check on it. Thanks!

Don't think so. I clarified a few times and read the terms of conditions before I signed up. If you're an existing cardholder you're not eligible for the bonus miles, but the 2.8 miles / $1 for overseas spend applies regardless if you're an existing cardholder or not.

lingua101 Mar 13, 2013 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Gymrat76 (Post 20410558)
Don't think so. I clarified a few times and read the terms of conditions before I signed up. If you're an existing cardholder you're not eligible for the bonus miles, but the 2.8 miles / $1 for overseas spend applies regardless if you're an existing cardholder or not.

I remember I called them that was told the existing cardholder is not eligible for bonus (2,000 points or miles) but the rest should be the same.

The 2.8 miles should be calculated as per transaction right? i.e. monthly. so not sure what other bonus we are talking

Gymrat76 Mar 13, 2013 3:05 am

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 20410712)
I remember I called them that was told the existing cardholder is not eligible for bonus (2,000 points or miles) but the rest should be the same.

The 2.8 miles should be calculated as per transaction right? i.e. monthly. so not sure what other bonus we are talking

I just checked the website and its been changed! I'm very sure that it never mentioned new cardholder before for the 2.8 miles and I even asked 2-3 different CSO's including the guys manning the ANZ roadshow. That was rather sneaky of them.

Will call them to verify again, because I specifically applied for this card and used extensively during my Feb trip :mad:

Never saw this clause before for the 2.8 miles only for the bonus miles (2,000 miles):
+Open to new Principal Cardmembers who successfully apply for an ANZ Travel Visa Signature Credit Card from 29 July 2012 to 5 March 2013. All applications must be approved by the Bank by 15 March 2013. The maximum number of Travel$ which can be awarded under the Promotion will be limited to 14,000 Travel$ per Principal Cardmember per calendar month. Approved Cardmembers with any retail spend in any foreign currency other than Singapore Dollars before 31 March 2013 will be eligible to receive 2.8 air miles per S$1 equivalent of overseas spend. 1 Travel$ = 1 air mile.