FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

vsepr Jan 1, 2013 2:33 am

The list is not updated. If don't believe this Friday, 4th Jan you can try charging at CS/MP/Jason's to see if you are awarded 5x points.

UOB' site also updated: http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...2_int_bann_ros

look under American Express SelectsTM XtraOrdinary Weekends.

enelym1978 Jan 2, 2013 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 19952221)
The list is not updated. If don't believe this Friday, 4th Jan you can try charging at CS/MP/Jason's to see if you are awarded 5x points.

UOB' site also updated: http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...2_int_bann_ros

look under American Express SelectsTM XtraOrdinary Weekends.

I believe this only applies to the 10% discount on wines....

Cold Storage, Market Place and Jasons
• 5x UNI$ for every S$5 spent
• 10% savings on regular-priced wine purchases with a min. spend of S$50'1.

1 Valid till 30 December 2012 , from Fridays - Sundays. Applicable to wines, champagnes and sparklings. Not applicable to Cold Storage Online, ThreeSixty Market Place @ ION Orchard and on storewide promotions, “Buy 5 get 1 free promotion” thematic wine promotions, specific stores' exclusive wine promotions and bulk purchases. S$50 nett price does not include the wine purchase.

Because this page still lists CS/MP/Jasons as earning 5 times the points.

https://www.americanexpress.com/sg/p...ivetimes.shtml

vsepr Jan 2, 2013 8:36 pm

"Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from now onwards, enjoy 5 Times Membership Rewards points on your spend at Cold Storage.
Click here for American Express Selects offers^ and outlet listing."

If you click "here", it will bring you to: http://offers.amexnetwork.com/sg/xo-weekends which does not list CS as one of the 5x merchants.

Anyway, tomorrow, 4th Jan is a Friday. Make a charge at CS and once the charge is posted online the next day on 5th Jan, Saturday, you will know if it is still a 5x weekend merchant.

vsepr Jan 4, 2013 8:13 pm

So did anyone tried using AMEX card at CS/MP/ Jasons this weekend? (4th to 6th Jan) and after the charge is posted did you get 5x points?

I called AMEX and the customer service officer said CS/MP/ Jasons is not a 5x weekend merchant anymore.

demue Jan 4, 2013 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 19951145)
It's confirmed. Cold Storage/Marketplace/Jason's is not a 5x AMEX Weekend merchant in 2013. The rest remains the same.

http://offers.amexnetwork.com/sg/xo-weekends

Maybank Rewards Infinite is beyond reach for most card members unless you are a
Maybank Premier Platinum MasterCard, Maybank Visa Infinite, Maybank World MasterCard and Maybank Catholic High Alumni Platinum Associates Card Cardmembers may enjoy Rewards Infinite programme with compliments. All other Maybank Cardmembers, simply spend S$24,0001 on your Maybank Credit Card in the preceding year to become a Rewards Infinite member.

Merchant list no change, same as 2012:

http://info.maybank2u.com.sg/persona...-infinite.aspx

Sorry if I just hit on that topic of Maybank again. I got the letter that RI is being stopped. I also got the invite for the World Mastercard, but so far didn't act upon it as I did not see any extra benefits.

Now I do think I did make the 24K S$ spending hurdle last year due to lots of business trips and two overseas vacations to Europe and the US. Do I need to do anything to reactivate my RI or will it be activated again? The EZ-Link top at 4mls/1S$ is just sweet.

On top of that, does converting to a World Mastercard now make sense just to maintain RI and the EZ-Link top up benefits? Sorry for the dull question, but just of SQ37 and after 17hrs on the plane the brain is a bit jumbled up. :)

vsepr Jan 5, 2013 12:43 am

RI is not stopped. Just that paying 3000 points or $10.70 to enroll has stopped.
RI is free for Word MasterCard holders without the $24,000 spending. $24,000 spending is for other cardholders like Horizon VISA Platinum. Yes, it's worth it to convert to World MasterCard if you qualify.

SingaporeDon Jan 5, 2013 6:03 am

Getting double points for oversease spend with DBS cards not such a bad deal

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 19892792)
Generally, you'll find the extra miles earned is not enough to offset the fx fees charged.

Depends

With DBS Treasures Black Amex, for every $$100 spend, you get an additional 120 Krisflyer miles if the spend is overseas.
If they charge you 2% extra for overseas transactions, you pay S$2 in Fx charges for these 120 additional Krisflyer miles

Effectively you are buying Krisflyer miles at 1.67 Singapore cents or 1.37 US cents per miles, which is not a bad deal

aster Jan 6, 2013 6:35 pm

Has anyone taken up UOB's offer for their Privi Milles AMEX card? :)

On a side note I'm contemplating moving from my DBS Altitude AMEX to the Visa version. I would have loved to see the PayWave feature on this card as this would certainly help with smaller transactions.

Does the Visa version use the "verified by visa" scheme or is that only used by DBS' debit cards?

SirJman Jan 6, 2013 9:44 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread. Anyone know if any banks in SG have any miles/points for issuing cheques? (Citibank eliminated earning points for using their Ready Credit cheques). Naturally, on a credit cheque like those, I'd be crediting the account before the transaction to not pay interest when the cheque is drawn. Any ideas?

demue Jan 7, 2013 1:19 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 19979288)
RI is not stopped. Just that paying 3000 points or $10.70 to enroll has stopped.
RI is free for Word MasterCard holders without the $24,000 spending. $24,000 spending is for other cardholders like Horizon VISA Platinum. Yes, it's worth it to convert to World MasterCard if you qualify.

Thanks. I understand RI is not stopped. I called Maybank and my current RI actually still runs till 30/04/13 and I'm already comfortably above the 24K SGD so good for another year. When the offer for World MasterCard comes along again I will take it up this time around just to secure the RI as I can't imagine doing the same revenue in 2013 again due to less planned biz travel.

lokijuh Jan 8, 2013 8:27 pm

Not sure if anyone out there has a PPS Amex. Some changes that allow double points now at departments stores, Kris Shop & Tradewinds travel (:rolleyes:). Most significant change is removal of 50% off Krisflyer redemption voucher associated with the card, for renewals from 1 March. I will certainly be discontinuing my PPS Amex card, as this was the one useful feature of the card. Annual fee increased from $150 to $267.50 also because of these "enhancements".

enelym1978 Jan 9, 2013 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 19990139)
Has anyone taken up UOB's offer for their Privi Milles AMEX card? :)

On a side note I'm contemplating moving from my DBS Altitude AMEX to the Visa version. I would have loved to see the PayWave feature on this card as this would certainly help with smaller transactions.

Does the Visa version use the "verified by visa" scheme or is that only used by DBS' debit cards?

I have both the UOB PRVI Amex and the DBS Altitude Visa.

The Altitude Visa is using the Verified by Visa feature.

aster Jan 9, 2013 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by enelym1978 (Post 20014907)
I have both the UOB PRVI Amex and the DBS Altitude Visa.

The Altitude Visa is using the Verified by Visa feature.

Many thanks. ^ Yet another reason to go for the Visa version of the Altitude card as the AMEX one does not have any additional verification for online transactions.

It almost seems too good to be true for DBS to keep everything the same for the Visa version, so I'd hate to switch and then see a disparity between the cards at some point in the future. Then again I could always switch back if that every happens...

How do you find the UOB card, any issues, are you happy with it in terms of everyday use (regardless of special perks like limo transfer, etc.)?

enelym1978 Jan 9, 2013 9:29 pm

Well I use the PRVI as main card, unless Amex is not accepted. I use it overseas as well, and yes I know, the exchange rate and rounding is not the best on the market but honestly, I don't want to juggle with 15 different cards in my wallet, these two are more than enough.

Not sure what you want to know regarding issues...? It's just a simple Amex card :p

The limo service is not bad, used it a few times so far and every time I got one of those white Mercedes that comes and pick me up. Saves a good $20-30 depending on where you stay on the island.

aster Jan 10, 2013 6:12 am

Originally Posted by enelym1978 (Post 20015035)
Not sure what you want to know regarding issues...? It's just a simple Amex card :p

The limo service is not bad, used it a few times so far and every time I got one of those white Mercedes that comes and pick me up. Saves a good $20-30 depending on where you stay on the island.

Is the online banking system for checking transactions and everything similar to the DBS one? I'm considering giving it a shot as this is a card that I could keep even if I happen to move to a different country - they are probably the only ones who post such requirements on their site (nobody else even mentions the possibility of a non-resident being able to get a CC).

As for the limo service, this seems like a nice perk to have. Do you just sign off on whatever the meter reads or is it completely off (flat fee arranged by the bank)?