FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lifeonthego_k Feb 23, 2020 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll (Post 32103066)
What card does people use for grocery purchases? I imagine this is a fairly large spending category for many. I imagine it would differ depending on if you mainly buy online (e.g. Redmart) or Cold Storage/Fairprice.

It really depends on which supermarket - if it's a SMART$ partner of UOB's (e.g. Cold Storage, Giant), then I resort to a typical general spend card like Citi Prestige, Citi Premier Miles, OCBC 90N, etc. However, if it isn't (e.g. NTUC) then I use contactless and get 4 mpd with UOB PPV or UOB VS. If it's online, then I use Citi Rewards or DBS WWMC to also get 4mpd.

Kilian Zoll Feb 23, 2020 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k (Post 32105644)
It really depends on which supermarket - if it's a SMART$ partner of UOB's (e.g. Cold Storage, Giant), then I resort to a typical general spend card like Citi Prestige, Citi Premier Miles, OCBC 90N, etc. However, if it isn't (e.g. NTUC) then I use contactless and get 4 mpd with UOB PPV or UOB VS. If it's online, then I use Citi Rewards or DBS WWMC to also get 4mpd.

Thank you. I'm surprised no card issuer is treating grocery as a distinct category for bonus earning here in Singapore.

demue Feb 24, 2020 4:18 am

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k (Post 32105639)
OCBC also does, at a transaction level.

Ohh good to know, how to get that as I wanted to check on my N90 card earnings? Through website only?

lifeonthego_k Feb 24, 2020 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 32106225)
Ohh good to know, how to get that as I wanted to check on my N90 card earnings? Through website only?

Yeah, it's only visible via ibanking on a desktop. Login and go to 'rewards' and then transaction details.

aster Feb 26, 2020 4:54 am

Has anyone had an issue when using the DBS Altitude Card when paying for a Scoot flight? I recently bought a ticket for someone in Australia and even though I was billed in SGD, I now see a funny second charge on the same transaction date labelled as SINGAPOREXXXXXXXXXXX (11-digits at the end).

Seems like the two are associated as I haven't used the card for weeks before or after the Scoot flight purchase.

carrotjuice Feb 27, 2020 9:50 am

Not directly related but I had a problem with DBS Altitude this past week when I tried to use it on Expedia Singapore. DBS said my charge was authorised (they were even able to provide the authorisation code for each try) but apparently Expedia immediately reverses the transaction despite the authorisation from DBS. In the end, I had to use another card.

demue Mar 3, 2020 12:19 am

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k (Post 32109739)
Yeah, it's only visible via ibanking on a desktop. Login and go to 'rewards' and then transaction details.

Thank you. Just tried it out, not bad. You to guess a little bit which transaction you want to check (refer to date from statement posting), but that is a small trouble. One seems to need to check every month though as at least for me it only shows transactions of current statement month, not past ones.

carrotjuice Mar 3, 2020 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 32135305)
Thank you. Just tried it out, not bad. You to guess a little bit which transaction you want to check (refer to date from statement posting), but that is a small trouble. One seems to need to check every month though as at least for me it only shows transactions of current statement month, not past ones.

Yes it can be a bit cumbersome because all that’s shown on the Rewards page is the reference number, and you have to click on each to see the details. I normally narrow down by searching for individual days.

Lightraveller Mar 3, 2020 8:54 pm

Grocery

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll (Post 32103066)
What card does people use for grocery purchases? I imagine this is a fairly large spending category for many. I imagine it would differ depending on if you mainly buy online (e.g. Redmart) or Cold Storage/Fairprice.

We use the Maybank Family & Friends Card. But it is more of a Cashback Card. As much as 8% If you hit minimum spend 800 on grocery + some other categories. They have a Miles Card too but it doesnt give bonuses for Grocery.

Kilian Zoll Mar 3, 2020 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Lightraveller (Post 32139142)
We use the Maybank Family & Friends Card. But it is more of a Cashback Card. As much as 8% If you hit minimum spend 800 on grocery + some other categories. They have a Miles Card too but it doesnt give bonuses for Grocery.

Nice alternative -- thank you for raising this.

freed0m Mar 4, 2020 1:30 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 32114494)
Has anyone had an issue when using the DBS Altitude Card when paying for a Scoot flight? I recently bought a ticket for someone in Australia and even though I was billed in SGD, I now see a funny second charge on the same transaction date labelled as SINGAPOREXXXXXXXXXXX (11-digits at the end).

Seems like the two are associated as I haven't used the card for weeks before or after the Scoot flight purchase.

cross-border SGD transaction. 1% or 0.8%.

from Australia, it should charge AUD. The payment may be processed as an Australian transaction.

vsepr Mar 9, 2020 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by davidj1 (Post 32101837)
Anyone else with DBS and find their DBS points crediting very inaccurate, as well as a nightmare to review and audit? Every month I'm finding transactions which were not credited correctly (in particular bonus points on online flight and hotel bookings). There is no point transaction report except for the flimsy chat bot which takes about 5 mins to generate 1 month worth of transactions, and bonus points are always credited with one line making it impossible to reconcile back to a transaction.

This is making me think about reviewing my banking business. Is the grass greener with UOB, OCBC, or AMEX?

DBS Cards still have their usefulness. According to these posts, can buy air miles at S$0.01455 a mile.

Read:
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/1...-post5673.html

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/1...-post5677.html

"I was referring to the points for refunded transactions & bonus points (awarded every 16th of the month) from agoda.com, expedia.com, hotels.com. Maybe they have a different rate, S$0.0291 per point. Because DBS's points system DOES NOT have NEGATIVE balance.

Ensure that your credit limit is >$8333.34 for 5000 points, >$16666.67 for 10000 points or >$25000 for 15000 points, charge a refundable hotel reservation for a far away dated stay and cancel after receiving the bonus points on the 16th. Transfer the original 3x points and bonus to KrisFlyer/Asia Miles/Qantas points...."

demue Mar 11, 2020 12:53 am

HWZ and the Googledocs Spreadsheet weren't really forthcoming on this, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with getting 4mpd at Hachi.Tech online store, Best Denki Online or buying online at dell.com.sg for using DBS WWMC, Citi Rewards or UOB PPV? I know Microsoft Online Store works at least with UOB PPV, but was hoping that Hachi.Tech online would as well. Thanks ...

lifeonthego_k Mar 12, 2020 9:49 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 32167784)
HWZ and the Googledocs Spreadsheet weren't really forthcoming on this, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with getting 4mpd at Hachi.Tech online store, Best Denki Online or buying online at dell.com.sg for using DBS WWMC, Citi Rewards or UOB PPV? I know Microsoft Online Store works at least with UOB PPV, but was hoping that Hachi.Tech online would as well. Thanks ...

I don't know the answer to your question but UOB PPV is the most restrictive of the 'online spend bonus' cards, so I wouldn't place my bets on getting 4mpd with that one.

pompipi Mar 16, 2020 1:56 am

Do note that the bonus miles will only be credited in the following month(s).

Read the DBS Altitude T&C in details.

https://www.dbs.com.sg/iwov-resource...-card-T&Cs.pdf