FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

Lightraveller Feb 4, 20 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by fone (Post 32029978)
Most of the time, yes, count towards any other promotion.

Thanks

Kilian Zoll Feb 4, 20 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 32019747)
I spoke too soon, we are getting the ‘enhancements’ from March onwards too. No suites, no multi-room rooms, prepaid rates only. Sucks.

Ouch, thanks for letting me know

aster Feb 5, 20 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 32030014)
...and I won't redeem until >1.5c/mile.

Recently I had a big dilemma with regards to redeeming miles and multiple choices all had their pros and cons.

I needed a biz ticket to Europe and the options were:
a) fly with SQ (albeit not a not-stop)
b) non-stop on a partner airline (though obviously not as good business class)
c) use the low-mileage trick of booking a redemption to IST (and then another, cheaper flight from there to final destination)

Option "a" seemed the most reasonable, but do I really want to add a connection if I can actually fly non-stop? So option "b" started to look more logical. But then why burn (aka waste) so many miles when there is a super-cheap redemption option to IST, from where I can probably get a cheap onwards ticket? But then this is still adding a connection (albeit saving heaps of miles), plus I've never flown into IST so new territory here in terms of airports.

After much deliberation I did go with option "b" though it does seem like a waste... even doubly so for burning SQ miles for non-SQ metal. But non-stop is non-stop and at the end of the day it's hard to beat the convenience of just a single flight...

lifeonthego_k Feb 5, 20 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 32030014)
I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but @1.5c per mile that neutralises the 3% FX fee for foreign transactions on a card (like Citi PM) earning 2 pt/$ on foreign txn.

At 2mpd, it doesn't make too much sense using a credit card for forex spend, especial taking into account the increased FX fee banks have started charging in SG. You should really look at other cards earning 3-4 miles/dollar for forex spend. Some come to mind:

1. OCBC 90N offers 4mpd uncapped for forex spend, albeit it's a promotion which runs out at the end of this month - but I've already managed to earn a serious bucket load of miles with this promotion
2. UOB VS - 4 mpd as long as you spend a min of $1k and max of $2K per statement cycle
3. UOB PPV - 4 mpd per month for first $1k, as long as it's contactless (paywave, apple pay, etc.)
4. BOC Elite miles - 3mpd uncapped

carrotjuice Feb 6, 20 2:46 pm

Note Paywave for UOB PPV at 4 mpd is only for Singapore terminals.

sbs2716g Feb 6, 20 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 32041322)
Note Paywave for UOB PPV at 4 mpd is only for Singapore terminals.

not true. Used it at malaysia n gotten the 4mpd as well

carrotjuice Feb 7, 20 12:02 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g (Post 32042403)
not true. Used it at malaysia n gotten the 4mpd as well

This is news to me, but good if it is! Their website says the contrary however...

percysmith Feb 7, 20 12:37 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 32042766)
This is news to me, but good if it is! Their website says the contrary however...

You’ve found a loophole. Congrats. No need to read the website when you have a data point. I haven’t had a bank try and claw back wrongly-awarded points (alternatively, transfer them regularly out of bank’s reach)

Kilian Zoll Feb 7, 20 3:37 am

This bodes the questions:
- Does "payWave" encompass all contactless including Apple Pay?
- And if yes to the above, does it include online Apple Pay transactions?

sbs2716g Feb 7, 20 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll (Post 32043141)
This bodes the questions:
- Does "payWave" encompass all contactless including Apple Pay?
- And if yes to the above, does it include online Apple Pay transactions?

for UOB, it include Apple Pay but the main focus point is Contactless transactions. So you use your HP to tap, you will get 4mpd.

But online Apple Pay does not have 4mpd. I have try once n does not get 4mpd.

lifeonthego_k Feb 7, 20 8:40 am

I and countless others use this card for contactless payments abroad. I've used it for years around the world and got 4mpd.

davidj1 Feb 22, 20 6:57 pm

Anyone else with DBS and find their DBS points crediting very inaccurate, as well as a nightmare to review and audit? Every month I'm finding transactions which were not credited correctly (in particular bonus points on online flight and hotel bookings). There is no point transaction report except for the flimsy chat bot which takes about 5 mins to generate 1 month worth of transactions, and bonus points are always credited with one line making it impossible to reconcile back to a transaction.

This is making me think about reviewing my banking business. Is the grass greener with UOB, OCBC, or AMEX?

demue Feb 22, 20 11:07 pm

Actually the only bank that provides a somewhat comprehensive accrual listing is Citibank to my knowledge. They still combine transactions on the same day, but it is much easier to figure out and follow up on.

It is still necessary to watch even Citibank as at times proven merchants don't get credit. Case in point, my monthly redmart purchases always posted fine in ... Oct, Nov, Dec 2019 and then in Jan 2020 no extra 9 points. Had to call in, got the usual uninformed CSR reciting the rubbish about T&C may have changed, merchant code etc. without knowledge of the rules.
​​​​Only appeal to product manager got it sorted.

DBS, UOB and such even more clueless and they have worse tools on hand to check the transaction postings. YMMV

Kilian Zoll Feb 23, 20 5:48 am

What card does people use for grocery purchases? I imagine this is a fairly large spending category for many. I imagine it would differ depending on if you mainly buy online (e.g. Redmart) or Cold Storage/Fairprice.

lifeonthego_k Feb 23, 20 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 32102362)
Actually the only bank that provides a somewhat comprehensive accrual listing is Citibank to my knowledge. They still combine transactions on the same day, but it is much easier to figure out and follow up on.

OCBC also does, at a transaction level.