FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

jagmeets May 23, 19 2:23 am

This thread seems to have lost its life- like the gig here in SIN!

Have a reasonably large USD transaction coming up- $25-30k. What are the current recommendations? Will likely be online, but might have to do over the phone.

fone May 23, 19 5:20 am

Depends on what are your needs. Of the cards I have personally, it will be S$2k towards UOB Visa Signature (for 4mpd) and the rest towards SCB Visa Infinite (for 3mpd). But I've split up such transactions previously to meet my redemption needs, like some towards Citibank premier miles for BR redemption or towards UOB PRVI Amex to meet the annual spending of $50k to get the additional rewards.

Not sure if over the phone still counts as online spending. My spendings usually do not meet "online" requirements or under the 4mpd categories, so unsure if yours does.

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 31130069)
Have a reasonably large USD transaction coming up- $25-30k. What are the current recommendations? Will likely be online, but might have to do over the phone.

carrotjuice May 23, 19 6:15 am

Assuming (1) you can split and pay in smaller bits at around the same time and (2) is not in the exclusion categories of Citi Rewards, then:
- S$1K on Citi Rewards MC
- S$1K on Citi Rewards Visa
- S$2K on DBS WWMC
- S$2K on UOB PPV
- balance on BOC EMMC

Life can be as convoluted as you want it to be! :D

lifeonthego_k May 23, 19 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 31130407)
- S$2K on UOB PPV

I guess you mean UOB VS. The UOB PPV gives only 0.4mpd for foreign transaction (unless it's contactless in which case you'll get 4 mpd to a max of $1k SGD)

lifeonthego_k May 24, 19 12:32 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 31130069)

Apart from the suggestions by @carrotjuice I suggest you take advantage of some of the sign up bonus promos being offered by Amex (Krisflyer Blue + Ascend), SCB Visa Infinite, Amex platinum charge (has a hefty AF of $1,712 but comes with several benefits that may be worth it for you. They've unofficial lowered their income requirement to SGD 150k p.a).

carrotjuice May 24, 19 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k (Post 31133505)
I guess you mean UOB VS. The UOB PPV gives only 0.4mpd for foreign transaction (unless it's contactless in which case you'll get 4 mpd to a max of $1k SGD)

Thanks for pointing this out. Actually I did mean UOB PPV but $1K (not $2K) as it also provides 4 mpd for online transactions, although with more exclusions than DBS WWMC.

But your comment on UOB VS is valid too!

jagmeets May 26, 19 11:50 pm

Thanks folks!
The transaction can't be split, and I don't want to muck around with opening a new line of credit with BoC..so I guess i'll stick to StanC VI.

aster Jan 24, 20 5:20 pm

Greetings in 2020 everyone. :)

Where do we stand today with good deals for purchasing additional miles? Is the 10,000 miles bonus for paying a card's annual fee of S$192.60 considered decent value compared to other options of acquiring miles?

Kilian Zoll Jan 24, 20 7:18 pm

Happy CNY everyone. We're moving back to SG from HK soon and I am planning for my card strategy. I still hold the UOB Visa PPV since the last time we lived in Singapore (over 3 years ago -- I guess I am lucky that UOB haven't charged the annual fee?), but hold no other SG based cards. We are HSBC Premier and DBS Treasures customers if that makes any difference at all.

I read this article on Milelion, which focuses on maximising 4 miles / SGD earning opportunities: https://milelion.com/2020/01/08/the-...card-strategy/

Are people generally following this approach or does anyone have any alternative ideas? Keen to hear people's thoughts.

aster Jan 25, 20 6:56 am

It all depends on how far you're willing to complicate things when it comes to the number of cards in your wallet and remembering which one to use where.

To be honest I'm not much into maximising absolutely everything, so I wouldn't get a separate card to pay for fuel, a different one for public transport, yet another for cinema tix, etc.

From the cards listed on that site I think it's definitely worth getting the DBS Woman’s World MC as 4mpd for online spend (capped at $2k) is useful. The UOB contactless 4mpd - if still valid - would also be great for supermarket spend at Fairprice or Meidi-Ya (unfortunately it wouldn't apply to Cold Storage/Giant).

Apart from that a general spend card would be good, but here even 1.4mpd (such as from using the UOB PRVI) would probably have to suffice. You might also want to see what Treasures/Premier offers in terms of any special CCs.

sbs2716g Jan 25, 20 7:38 am

Yes. I got the women card for online. Got the UOB PPV for paywave. Plus OCBC titanium for local purchase. (But usually will use UOB for paywave unless exceed amounts for that month). Plus DBS attitude card for any other misc purchase (ie without paywave)

demue Jan 25, 20 11:06 pm

DBS Altitude (not attitude ;)). Citi Permiermiles, OCBC N90 or so are similar general spending / catch all type cards. YMMV.

Kilian Zoll Jan 26, 20 1:34 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 31992902)
It all depends on how far you're willing to complicate things when it comes to the number of cards in your wallet and remembering which one to use where.

To be honest I'm not much into maximising absolutely everything, so I wouldn't get a separate card to pay for fuel, a different one for public transport, yet another for cinema tix, etc.

From the cards listed on that site I think it's definitely worth getting the DBS Woman’s World MC as 4mpd for online spend (capped at $2k) is useful. The UOB contactless 4mpd - if still valid - would also be great for supermarket spend at Fairprice or Meidi-Ya (unfortunately it wouldn't apply to Cold Storage/Giant).

Apart from that a general spend card would be good, but here even 1.4mpd (such as from using the UOB PRVI) would probably have to suffice. You might also want to see what Treasures/Premier offers in terms of any special CCs.

Fair enough. I don't want to complicate things too much either (mostly so as not to confuse my wife), but am happy to have separate cards for overseas, online, dining, contactless on top of general spending. We typically hold 4-6 spending cards at any given time in HK, apart from any benefits only cards such as Amex Platinum.

What are people typically using as their general spending card? I used to hold the UOB PRVI Miles Mastercard when I was based in SG -- is that still a good idea?

aster Jan 26, 20 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll (Post 31995464)
am happy to have separate cards for overseas, online, dining, contactless on top of general spending.
What are people typically using as their general spending card? I used to hold the UOB PRVI Miles Mastercard when I was based in SG -- is that still a good idea?

Back in the day I would hold a card for contactless payments (x4), online (x4) and regular spend (1.2-1.6 at the time). Those were better days though as the online card could also be used to top-up a prepaid Fevo MC... which in turn could be used anywhere. :). I never needed a local card for foreign transactions and didn't bother with separate ones for dining or department stores either, as my other cards pretty much sufficed and still delivered 4x when dining.

For a general spend card consider the PRVI... but the AMEX one. Of course if you run into AMEX acceptance issues a lot then this might be annoying, but if you are able to rack up $50k spend in an entire year then they do throw in a 20k miles bonus. So the 1.4 ratio gets bumped up to 1.8.

For really small stuff like popping into 7-11 or Cheers consider using a DBS debit card. 3% cashback for contactless (capped at first $666 spend monthly - hence I mentioned "small stuff") is always better than nothing.

Kilian Zoll Jan 26, 20 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 31995685)
Back in the day I would hold a card for contactless payments (x4), online (x4) and regular spend (1.2-1.6 at the time). Those were better days though as the online card could also be used to top-up a prepaid Fevo MC... which in turn could be used anywhere. :).

Yes, I remember experimenting with a few different MS options that were subsequently closed down. That being said, are there any MS opportunities in SG these days? Perhaps similar to what you can do with Alipay, Wechat Pay and PayMe in HK (i.e. top up wallet using a credit card and withdraw to your bank account).

I never needed a local card for foreign transactions and didn't bother with separate ones for dining or department stores either, as my other cards pretty much sufficed and still delivered 4x when dining.

A huge portion of my spend is in foreign countries and/or currencies -- the UOB Visa Signature seems like a good option for this purpose, despite the $2,000 per statement month cap.

For a general spend card consider the PRVI... but the AMEX one. Of course if you run into AMEX acceptance issues a lot then this might be annoying, but if you are able to rack up $50k spend in an entire year then they do throw in a 20k miles bonus. So the 1.4 ratio gets bumped up to 1.8.

Will definitely check out the PRVI Miles Amex - thank you for raising that! Can I use this card to pay for transit/MRT as well or is that limited to Visa/Mastercards?