FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

SMK77 May 7, 18 5:37 am

I looked out for some nice F-deals using this promotion and found the following:

CDG-ZRH-SIN-SYD return in A class (30 days pre-booking) allows you to fly four times new Suites as ZRH will be the next destination.

Price: 10,000 SGD all-in and you get 80,000 miles for using Apple Pay and 40,000 miles crediting into Krisflyer. Miles are worth 2,400 SGD. That makes an effective price of 7,600 SGD for flying 40 hours in new Suites.

SoulDaddy May 8, 18 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 29724347)
I looked out for some nice F-deals using this promotion and found the following:

CDG-ZRH-SIN-SYD return in A class (30 days pre-booking) allows you to fly four times new Suites as ZRH will be the next destination.

Price: 10,000 SGD all-in and you get 80,000 miles for using Apple Pay and 40,000 miles crediting into Krisflyer. Miles are worth 2,400 SGD. That makes an effective price of 7,600 SGD for flying 40 hours in new Suites.

hi SMKK how does this work? sorry I'm quite a noob at miles. that's flying in and out of Sydney?

elleana May 9, 18 9:38 pm

Flying in and out of Paris (CDG-ZRH would likely be on SWISS though).

spk307 May 10, 18 2:44 am

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 29713011)

Buy NTUC Voucher for 1,000$ using Apple Pay gets you 8,000 Miles in return. Using 2 cents per mile as the given valuation, you get 160$ cash back or discount in form of miles.

Same for Apple products or SQ tickets.

This might sound silly, but i’d suggest try to avoid using the term ‘discount’. Miles is NOT equal to cash! They are two different currencies and have different end uses and are not easily interchangeable.
There’s no way miles can be ‘sold’ for cash without jeopardising your account. And believe it or not, there are some frequent fliers who use discount credit cards (cash back), so you’ll end up confusing them as well.

NetJets Germany May 10, 18 5:42 am

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k (Post 29721805)
Yes, SQ and CX would yield 20x points when using their in-app Apple Pay option to pay. These online transactions would normally give 1x, and not 10x with Citi Rewards, hence they are eligible to get 20x now under the promo.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a few CX flights ex-China and ex-UK using the APP and hoping to benefit from this promotion using my newly acquired Rewards card. Has anyone booked CX and/or SQ flights staring outside of SIN (And therefore not billed in SGD but in a foreign currency) through the APP yet and seen the bonus credited to their card? I know that based on the above information and what it says on the Citi website these bookings should qualify for 20X points, I just want to make 100% sure just so I haven't overlooked anything obvious and end up with a lousy 1X point per SGD equivalent spent in my account...

lifeonthego_k May 10, 18 10:21 am

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany (Post 29737537)
I'm about to pull the trigger on a few CX flights ex-China and ex-UK using the APP and hoping to benefit from this promotion using my newly acquired Rewards card. Has anyone booked CX and/or SQ flights staring outside of SIN (And therefore not billed in SGD but in a foreign currency) through the APP yet and seen the bonus credited to their card? I know that based on the above information and what it says on the Citi website these bookings should qualify for 20X points, I just want to make 100% sure just so I haven't overlooked anything obvious and end up with a lousy 1X point per SGD equivalent spent in my account...

I personally haven't yet used the rewards card to transact in a foreign currency yet but colleagues of mine have and have received 20x.

SMK77 May 10, 18 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by spk307 (Post 29737233)

This might sound silly, but i’d suggest try to avoid using the term ‘discount’. Miles is NOT equal to cash! They are two different currencies and have different end uses and are not easily interchangeable.
There’s no way miles can be ‘sold’ for cash without jeopardising your account. And believe it or not, there are some frequent fliers who use discount credit cards (cash back), so you’ll end up confusing them as well.

Miles have a value and the commonly agreed value for SQ miles is 2 SGD-Cents. I buy any Krisflyer miles I can get my hands on as long as the price per mile is 2 SGD-Cents or less. I use my miles only for redemptions in premium cabins and I as travel quite a bit, I have a constant need for miles.

Agree that someone who never flies or never redeems awards tickets should not see this as 'discount'. As we are catering here for the people that spend countless hours in the air, I think the term 'discount' is more than appropriate.

spk307 May 11, 18 1:56 am

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 29740588)
Miles have a value and the commonly agreed value for SQ miles is 2 SGD-Cents. I buy any Krisflyer miles I can get my hands on as long as the price per mile is 2 SGD-Cents or less. I use my miles only for redemptions in premium cabins and I as travel quite a bit, I have a constant need for miles.

Agree that someone who never flies or never redeems awards tickets should not see this as 'discount'. As we are catering here for the people that spend countless hours in the air, I think the term 'discount' is more than appropriate.

There is a reason why no one else in the same frequent flyer community uses that term in relation to miles redemption. No point arguing if your mind is set on using it. YMMV.

SMK77 May 11, 18 3:12 am

Originally Posted by spk307 (Post 29741295)
There is a reason why no one else in the same frequent flyer community uses that term in relation to miles redemption. No point arguing if your mind is set on using it. YMMV.

I have never used the terminology in the context of redemptions. I have used this in relation to receiving something of value and I stand by that.

percysmith May 11, 18 4:29 am

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 29741445)
I have never used the terminology in the context of redemptions. I have used this in relation to receiving something of value and I stand by that.

I think I used the cash rebate-equivalent myself https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...rfriendly.html . I do that less now, because everyone's valuation of miles truly YMMV.

Zratter May 14, 18 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 29724347)

hi, can you help to advise how we can get the 40k miles using the promotion? I thought the apple pay is 8 mpd? Thank you. If we can get 120k miles on a 10k sgd ticket, its really a bargain.

SMK77 May 14, 18 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Zratter (Post 29753835)

hi, can you help to advise how we can get the 40k miles using the promotion? I thought the apple pay is 8 mpd? Thank you. If we can get 120k miles on a 10k sgd ticket, its really a bargain.

Apple Pay is giving you 80,000 miles for paying 8x the miles on the purchase price of 10,000 SGD.

Krisflyer is giving you 40,000 miles for flying the ticket. They increased mileage earned to 200% for A class this year and the distance flown is 20,000 miles.

If you are an Elite member, you earn another 5,000 miles for flying.

Hope that helps.

w4rd May 14, 18 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 29754148)
Apple Pay is giving you 80,000 miles for paying 8x the miles on the purchase price of 10,000 SGD.

Krisflyer is giving you 40,000 miles for flying the ticket. They increased mileage earned to 200% for A class this year and the distance flown is 20,000 miles.

If you are an Elite member, you earn another 5,000 miles for flying.

Hope that helps.

If you can consume 1 bottle of Krug every few hours its like they are paying you to fly.

SMK77 May 14, 18 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by w4rd (Post 29754304)
If you can consume 1 bottle of Krug every few hours its like they are paying you to fly.

SQ loaded only 2 (!) bottles of Krug 2004 on my last flight from Paris to Singapore for 7 passengers. I guess they anticipated this strategy and prevent it ;)

NetJets Germany May 14, 18 9:39 pm

Quick heads-up: I looked at other airlines accepting payment by Apple Pay, and found that Finnair (AY) - if you book using their app - was one of them. Booked a ticket for the mater recently and was indeed credited with 20X points on my Rewards card. Payment was made in EUR.

Furthermore, I also made a booking on the CX app ex-HKG in HKD, which also credited 20X to my Rewards card. All good so far!