FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

Memphis8 Aug 11, 2015 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 25257752)
UOB is darn sneaky!

First time poster, long time lurker =)

I don't think the effect is as bad as it looks, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Eg. $95 = 132 miles based on the above. That's 1.389 miles per dollar spent, which is better than the DBS Altitude and Citi Premier Visa (both 1.2 miles per $ on local spend).

UOB does get a bad rep for clawbacks and it's rather high foreign currency fees of 3.25%, while DBS and Citi seem to be pretty good from a customer service perspective and their coversion fees are lower.

Phaze Aug 11, 2015 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Memphis8 (Post 25257921)
Eg. $95 = 132 miles based on the above. That's 1.389 miles per dollar spent, which is better than the DBS Altitude and Citi Premier Visa (both 1.2 miles per $ on local spend).

This is how I've understood it to be too. Anyone disagree?

carrotjuice Aug 12, 2015 2:41 am

The sneaky part is referring to small ticket transactions above $5 to below $10.

Memphis8 Aug 12, 2015 3:48 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 25258536)
The sneaky part is referring to small ticket transactions above $5 to below $10.

If it's small value purchases ($5-$10), what kills you is not the UNI$ rounding but the minimum dollar spend required i.e. in multiples of $5.

So $5 spend = UNI$ 3.5, $9.99 spend is also UNI$ 3.5. If you make a lot of these small purchases, it's probably better to get Citibank Premiermiles and ANZ Travel.

Volasia Aug 12, 2015 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Memphis8 (Post 25257921)
First time poster, long time lurker =)

I don't think the effect is as bad as it looks, someone correct me if I am wrong.

UOB does get a bad rep for clawbacks and it's rather high foreign currency fees of 3.25%, while DBS and Citi seem to be pretty good from a customer service perspective and their coversion fees are lower.

Locally, ANZ is much better, plain and simple.

vsepr Aug 12, 2015 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 25258883)
Locally, ANZ is much better, plain and simple.

ANZ Travel Card is better for S$ transactions compared to UOB PRVI Miles.

UOB PRVI Miles is better for foreign transactions any amount >S$20, compared to Citi PM.

UOB Preferred Platinum VISA is best for payWave transactions >S$5 even for S$9.99 because of 10x UNI$. Same for UOB Preferred Platinum AMEX.

demue Aug 12, 2015 10:24 am

UOB PPV is fine as long as the merchant does not fall into the Smart$ category.

laurent_rio Aug 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi

has anybody experienced fraud/illegal transaction on DBS credit card before ?

my DBS Visa altitude card has been hacked and it shown transaction on unbilled statement for AEROFLOT Flight NY about 3000 SGD (in USD amount) and at almost same time my DBS Woman MasterCard also charged almost 5000 SGD (in USD amount ).
I already called DBS and they closed/blocked the card immediately but the charge put under dispute and under investigation (they said 21-40 days). Now i will be crazy if i need to pay that 8000 SGD .

Can anybody share what normally the process will be for this fraud/hack case ? The statement this month show this transaction, if i not pay (DBS already put under dispute), will i still be charged for interest fee ?

lcpteck Aug 12, 2015 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 25260308)
UOB PPV is fine as long as the merchant does not fall into the Smart$ category.

Agreed, I use it extensively for Paywave merchants not belonging to SMART$ category.

Frankly speaking, UOB's suite of cards is very versatile if you can get pass the exceptions.

shuigao Aug 12, 2015 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by laurent_rio (Post 25263096)
Can anybody share what normally the process will be for this fraud/hack case ? The statement this month show this transaction, if i not pay (DBS already put under dispute), will i still be charged for interest fee ?

I can't comment on DBS, but for my other Singapore card that got fraud'ed (specifically, StanChart) I didn't pay the dispute amount and they later waived off the interest.

Memphis8 Aug 12, 2015 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 25259133)
ANZ Travel Card is better for S$ transactions compared to UOB PRVI Miles.

UOB PRVI Miles is better for foreign transactions any amount >S$20, compared to Citi PM.

Other than the fact that ANZ Travel can get points per dollar and cents, is there a reason why ANZ card would better? I'm genuinely curious since I already have the UOB Miles and other than bill payments and normal financial charges, the UOB card should get miles for eveything else right?

I don't quite understand the foreign spend over $20 statement. Can you explain this please?

Memphis8 Aug 13, 2015 2:03 am

UOB Preferred Platinum Visa

Question on the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa.

If I buy a laptop online from Dell Australia, does this count under the 10X UNI$?

demue Aug 13, 2015 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Memphis8 (Post 25264062)
Question on the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa.

If I buy a laptop online from Dell Australia, does this count under the 10X UNI$?

Unless someone has done such a purchase before with that card only trial and error will work. Suggestion would be to buy some smaller item, e.g. an accessory and wait for the transaction to post. Either you track your balance exactly and figure it out that way or call UOB CS and ask on the specific transaction if it got 10x UNI$. Bit of effort, but that way you will be sure.

I did this with Microsoft online store here in SIN when I bought a Surface 3 Pro. I basically bought a mouse first and it got 10x so then I pulled the trigger on the big purchase.

Memphis8 Aug 13, 2015 2:40 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 25264077)
Unless someone has done such a purchase before with that card only trial and error will work.

Thanks for the feedback demue. How knowledgeable are their customer service officers? Is it worth my time to call in and ask?

Seriously, this is the single thing that drives me insane about UOB. For all their great earning rate, these Bermuda Triangle transactions make it such a risky card to use.

Another question - does paywave 10x UNI$ work overseas as well?

lcpteck Aug 13, 2015 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Memphis8 (Post 25264128)
Seriously, this is the single thing that drives me insane about UOB. For all their great earning rate, these Bermuda Triangle transactions make it such a risky card to use.

True, just need to use it on those verified transactions.

Originally Posted by Memphis8 (Post 25264128)
Another question - does paywave 10x UNI$ work overseas as well?

Yes it does.