FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lcpteck Aug 3, 2015 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Phaze (Post 25216209)
Looks like 45,000 to me, unless your DBS card is different to mine (Altitude Visa).

Yeah it's 45,000 miles, I think shuigao's calculator broke. :D

shuigao Aug 3, 2015 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by appledabble (Post 25214107)
I just come across this article.

http://upgrd.com/pursuedadventures/h...-not-dead.html

Wonder if there have been discussions on how we can reverse engineer certain scenario using SQ as the base.

Essentially, many strategies you read about in US blogs and articles are either not applicable to Singapore, or applicable in a greatly reduced effectiveness.

Specific to SQ, mileage runs are as rare as hitting 4D. SQ's really cheap fares are practically always 10% mileage accrual rate.

Specific to credit card sign-ups, we don't get those crazy spend $3k, get 50,000 miles bonuses that US cards get.

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 25214826)
The question is whether Citibank PremierMiles Amex and Visa CitiMiles can be combined (which previously stated was they couldn't). Citi$ can be combined from different Cards (though not sure whether it's still valid).

I can now confirm that they are in a separate pool. Got conned by phone lady liao (sadface). Miles swiped on PM Amex vs on PM Visa accrue to their own separate pools. I will assume that redemption also needs to be separate (with its' own $25 fee).

lcpteck Aug 3, 2015 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 25217106)
I can now confirm that they are in a separate pool. Got conned by phone lady liao (sadface). Miles swiped on PM Amex vs on PM Visa accrue to their own separate pools. I will assume that redemption also needs to be separate (with its' own $25 fee).

That is correct, points earned for Citibank Cards are always in separate pools (regardless if they're in the same currency type; CitiMiles or Citi$). The question you have to ask them is whether can you combine the 2 pools (Visa CitiMiles and Amex CitiMiles) together into one and whether there are any charges for doing so. Citi$ was possible before not sure about now (it was stated in the T&Cs somewhere). CitiMiles wasn't but not sure about now as well. Maybe you can call Citibank and let us know?

Better yet is someone go read through the T&Cs. ;)

appledabble Aug 4, 2015 4:44 am

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 25217106)
Essentially, many strategies you read about in US blogs and articles are either not applicable to Singapore, or applicable in a greatly reduced effectiveness.

Specific to SQ, mileage runs are as rare as hitting 4D. SQ's really cheap fares are practically always 10% mileage accrual rate.

Specific to credit card sign-ups, we don't get those crazy spend $3k, get 50,000 miles bonuses that US cards get.

Thanks for enlightening that it's a different mechanism that can't be replicated in a similar fashion. I shall focus more on the essential steps for now :) have a good day.

appledabble Aug 5, 2015 5:35 am

Ez-link

I was following on the ez-link top up option via credit card to earn miles. But I'm kind of lost at this stage because the many options I thought would work, have now been reported by members that the options have been removed by the respective bank. Can some kind soul guide me the current method u all are using please ? Thanks a lot !

TTOTY Aug 5, 2015 5:45 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 25217134)
That is correct, points earned for Citibank Cards are always in separate pools (regardless if they're in the same currency type; CitiMiles or Citi$). The question you have to ask them is whether can you combine the 2 pools (Visa CitiMiles and Amex CitiMiles) together into one and whether there are any charges for doing so. Citi$ was possible before not sure about now (it was stated in the T&Cs somewhere). CitiMiles wasn't but not sure about now as well. Maybe you can call Citibank and let us know?

Better yet is someone go read through the T&Cs. ;)

as of July 2015 - I was still able to t/f my Rewards citi$ to prestige.. but they seemed reluctant to do it and they kept reminding me that this is a special arrangement by virtue of my Citi Prestige card. Took more than 1 week before the transfer was executed.

as for citimiles, I have not tried it yet.

BTLim Aug 5, 2015 9:11 pm

DBS Altitude Visa/Amex now says you earn 3 miles per $1 on all ONLINE flight and hotel bookings.

demue Aug 5, 2015 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by BTLim (Post 25228142)
DBS Altitude Visa/Amex now says you earn 3 miles per $1 on all ONLINE flight and hotel bookings.

Nice, but do keep in mind that not every booking or reservation made online via an app or website gets processed as an online transaction by the merchant / vendor / provider ... For example, a hotel booking via Starwood.com or other chains will likely be processed offline even for an advance purchase rate where you get charged immediately.

DBS has this passage in the T&Cs in accordance with that:

Online Transactions shall mean retail transactions made via the internet and processed by the respective merchants/ acquirers as an online transaction type through the networks. DBS Bank Ltd (the “DBS”) determines an online transaction based on system indicators. These indicators are decided by the merchant and their bank, and passed to DBS when the transaction is posted to the card.

So be careful what you book where. YMMV.

SingaporeDon Aug 6, 2015 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by BTLim (Post 25228142)

UOB PRVI Miles American Express Card is currently giving 3 miles per S$ for ALL SQ, Silkair and SQ KrisShop purchases.

skysun Aug 7, 2015 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Wadexis (Post 25213727)
Hi,

No you will not earn miles on award flights.
Cheers

SQ award flight can't. But other ffp bug tix can

Wadexis Aug 7, 2015 9:09 am

Originally Posted by skysun (Post 25234980)
SQ award flight can't. But other ffp bug tix can

I did change ffp number on an award flight once but did not get anything. Any reported airlines where this works?

yosithezet Aug 7, 2015 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by appledabble (Post 25223838)
I was following on the ez-link top up option via credit card to earn miles. But I'm kind of lost at this stage because the many options I thought would work, have now been reported by members that the options have been removed by the respective bank. Can some kind soul guide me the current method u all are using please ? Thanks a lot !

Me too!

carrotjuice Aug 10, 2015 10:23 am

I noticed this on the wiki at the top of this thread for the UOB PRVI Miles VISA / MC / AMEX:
"From 15 May 2015, the earn rate will be 1.4 miles for every $1 spent in multiples of S$10 (every multiple of S$5 gives 6 to 7 miles due to 3.5 UNI$ rounding off...)"

Don't quite understand this statement... can whoever updated the wiki (or anyone who understood) please explain?

vsepr Aug 11, 2015 8:28 pm

$10 get 14 miles.

$5 get 6 miles, due to 3.5 UNI$ round down to 3 UNI$.

$95 get 66.5 ~ 66 UNI$ = 132 miles or every $5 get 6.947 miles and so on.......

carrotjuice Aug 11, 2015 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 25257501)
$10 get 14 miles.

$5 get 6 miles, due to 3.5 UNI$ round down to 3 UNI$.

$95 get 66.5 ~ 66 UNI$ = 132 miles or every $5 get 6.947 miles and so on.......

UOB is darn sneaky!