FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lcpteck Jul 26, 2015 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 25177237)
Call UOB everyday from the day, usually the 1st of the month, the UNI$ are deducted for annual fee to request for reinstatement. Stop until the UNI$ are back to your account.

Who knows, sometimes there are double crediting of UNI$ and you get a bonus of 4800 UNI$!!

You can just call in and request for waiver on their IVR, it's automatic. It will waive if you're eligible. If not, you can speak to a CSO.

shuigao Jul 26, 2015 9:53 pm

What do you guys and gals think of applying for and holding multiple cards specifically for the annual renewal miles 'bonus?'

For example, even without any spending, holding 4 cards (ANZ, Citi PM Visa+Amex and a DBS) gives 50,000 miles via S$927.60 annual fee. i.e. you're effectively buying miles at 1.86 sing cents / 1.35 us cents each.

lcpteck Jul 26, 2015 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 25177274)
What do you guys and gals think of applying for and holding multiple cards specifically for the annual renewal miles 'bonus?'

For example, even without any spending, holding 4 cards (ANZ, Citi PM Visa+Amex and a DBS) gives 50,000 miles via S$927.60 annual fee. i.e. you're effectively buying miles at 1.86 sing cents / 1.35 us cents each.

That's what I do to 'buy' the miles since I want to redeem longhaul business class for my mom between Singapore and US and it sure takes alot of miles....

I'm not eligible for Citibank PM Amex though, anybody got any relationship manager can refer me or something so it can get approved? Tried to apply multiple times but denied since I don't earn $80k per annum.

naro Jul 27, 2015 12:34 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 25177265)
You can just call in and request for waiver on their IVR, it's automatic. It will waive if you're eligible. If not, you can speak to a CSO.

So, UOB will reinstate the points after you call in to request for waiver?

demue Jul 27, 2015 12:35 am

Well I only had the card for a year and it does the job of getting 4mls/$ for the outlets / transactions we maintain in the community Excel, but that part I wasn't aware off. Well I caught it on my statement this month and just called to get a waiver processed, but had never seen this as most banks take your cash first.

Anyways, I find it a bit sneakier by UOB as SQueeze highlighted because folks are more likely to notice a 192$ membership fee on their monthly statement, but not a reduction in UNI$ and hence may never ask for a waiver. YMMV, but transparency doesn't seem the goal here. Oh well.

demue Jul 27, 2015 12:42 am

Originally Posted by naro (Post 25177674)

I called as at first I didn't catch that it was for the annual card fee. Then I asked for a waiver and it was processed. CSR said UNI$ will be back in 5 working days so I will keep an eye on it.

Now say one is not eligible for a waiver, as a customer I should have a choice of cash versus UNI$ which according to my CSR UOB does not offer. That is quite bothersome. 4.8K UNI$ are almost 10K KF miles. I would kick up a major stink if not given a choice. Anyways, theoretical discussion on my end as waiver was given, but not something I was aware of.

chewiegranolabar Jul 27, 2015 5:23 am

I asked for a waiver and got my points reinstated a few months back. I usually don't call them. Just leave a message though Internet banking

Just received this email. Will be moving all my online purchases to UOB Lady's Solitaire

10X UNI$ on Luxury Shopping, Overseas Shopping , Online Shopping, Departmental Store Spend and Taxi Rides
A bonus of 9X UNI$ (“Bonus UNI$”) will be awarded for every S$5 spent on Luxury Shopping Transactions, Overseas Shopping Transactions in foreign currencies, Online Shopping Transactions in foreign currencies, Departmental Store Transactions and Taxi Transactions for the relevant statement cycle subject to a minimum spend of S$3,000 and a maximum spend of S$5,000 charged to the Card and captured/posted in that relevant statement cycle. The total Bonus UNI$ awarded to each Cardmember from qualifying spend will be capped at UNI$9,000 for each statement cycle.

carrotjuice Jul 27, 2015 4:46 pm

Yes. At the menu, select fee waiver and go through the IVR process. Mine always gets approved every year through IVR and the UNI$ deducted will be refunded to you, shown in your next month's statement. I never had to speak to anyone at all.

Which is the stupidity of this whole exercise... if UOB is ready to approve annual fee waiver, why won't they just suppress the fee BEFORE is charged to the cardholder's statement? Instead, it's a waste of time for cardholder to have to call and 'request' the waiver...

carrotjuice Jul 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by chewiegranolabar (Post 25178244)
Just received this email. Will be moving all my online purchases to UOB Lady's Solitaire

Why so? The minimum S$3,000 spend per statement cycle requirement is the stickler here. Citi Rewards doesn't require this minimum to earn comparable rate.

carrotjuice Jul 27, 2015 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 25177688)
Now say one is not eligible for a waiver, as a customer I should have a choice of cash versus UNI$ which according to my CSR UOB does not offer. That is quite bothersome. 4.8K UNI$ are almost 10K KF miles. I would kick up a major stink if not given a choice.

You have discovered yet another wonder of the UOB system!

Though arguably one "may" be able to get them to reinstate the 4,800 UNI$ and charge the fee in cash...

Failing which, drain your UNI$ before the annual charging process.

carrotjuice Jul 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 25177274)

Did you add in the various conversion fees for each card to work out the $ per mile?

chewiegranolabar Jul 27, 2015 6:12 pm

carrotjuice, is that the same earn rate? I don't hold any Citi cards and was looking forward to canceling my bank account soon

$3000 min spending for UOB lady's is OK for me. It is the 5000 limit which is the stickler. I stuck with UOB Preferred Plat from 2012-2014, then HSBC Advance because of the 10x rate and no limit. Happy to find a card with a higher limit than DBS Womans and UOB Preferred Plat

Archieflyer Jul 27, 2015 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 25177237)
Call UOB everyday from the day, usually the 1st of the month, the UNI$ are deducted for annual fee to request for reinstatement. Stop until the UNI$ are back to your account.

I'm not sure calling everyday achieves anything except getting the bank irritated with you. If they need time to reverse the UNI$, they need time to do it. Calling in everyday probably just earns you a nasty tag in your profile in their CRM.

Originally Posted by demue (Post 25177678)
Anyways, I find it a bit sneakier by UOB as SQueeze highlighted because folks are more likely to notice a 192$ membership fee on their monthly statement, but not a reduction in UNI$ and hence may never ask for a waiver. YMMV, but transparency doesn't seem the goal here. Oh well.

I think it's improved already. In the past, they would just take the points and only indication would be in the points summary at the back, that X UNI$ was deducted, with no reason why. Now, it is indicated in the detailed transactions section that X UNI$ was deducted for annual fee. I would prefer if the default was to charge you cash, rather than deduct points, but oh well, this is how UOB rolls, so just work with it.

naro Jul 27, 2015 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by chewiegranolabar (Post 25181865)
carrotjuice, is that the same earn rate? I don't hold any Citi cards and was looking forward to canceling my bank account soon

$3000 min spending for UOB lady's is OK for me. It is the 5000 limit which is the stickler. I stuck with UOB Preferred Plat from 2012-2014, then HSBC Advance because of the 10x rate and no limit. Happy to find a card with a higher limit than DBS Womans and UOB Preferred Plat

Citibank Rewards card has a limit of 120,000 points per year. If all spending earns 10x points, its S$12k cap per year.

lcpteck Jul 27, 2015 8:51 pm

From my own experience yes.

However I have heavy usage on UOB cards so not sure if that matters or not.