FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

pompipi Jun 23, 2015 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by chrispstan (Post 25008359)
Can I check - is UOB charging you $25 for each transfer of 15,000 bonus miles to KF? I enquired and was told that this could not be waived.

I have recently transferred from UOB and Citi, both banks charged $25 per transaction, as long as you have met the minimum block.

I'd like to ask the rest here what is DBS's way of charging the transfer? On a per year, per block, or per transaction basis?

shuigao Jun 24, 2015 12:03 am

Just found out from a friend of mine living in JB that Maybank (Malaysia) has some seemingly amazing accrual rates.

Maybank Visa Infinite
- 2 TreatsPoints for every RM1 spend locally
- 5 TreatsPoints for every RM1 spend overseas
- TreatsPoints can be converted to Enrich Miles (MAS) or KrisFlyer Miles (Singapore Airlines) at a low conversion rate. 4,500 TP = 1,000 Air Miles

Doing the math
Spend in MY: SGD 1.00 = RM2.80 = 5.6 TreatsPoints = 1.24 Miles
Spend in SG: SGD 1.00 = RM2.80 = 14 TreatsPoints = 3.11 Miles

So a Singapore resident could theoretically hop across the border to JB, apply for this card, swipe all his "local" transactions in SG and get a steady 3+ miles per S$ (subject to rounding and of course a 1-2% FX loss).

Am I missing something here? :confused:

lokijuh Jun 24, 2015 1:04 am

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 25018694)
(subject to rounding and of course a 1-2% FX loss).

Don't most cards incur FX of more like 2-3%? I know my Citi PM card is 2.8%.

Tennet1979 Jun 24, 2015 1:32 am

Malaysia allows Singapore residents to apply for its cards? Seems unlikely.

lcpteck Jun 24, 2015 4:45 am

Originally Posted by pompipi (Post 25018687)
I have recently transferred from UOB and Citi, both banks charged $25 per transaction, as long as you have met the minimum block.

I'd like to ask the rest here what is DBS's way of charging the transfer? On a per year, per block, or per transaction basis?

DBS's method is the same as UOB, it's charged by per block of 10k miles (5k points) with a transfer fee of $25. Citibank is more flexible where it doesn't use the 'per block' method, you just need to transfer a minimum number of miles.

AFAIK the 'per block' method is used by the following banks:

UOB
DBS
ANZ
HSBC

lcpteck Jun 24, 2015 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Tennet1979 (Post 25018889)
Malaysia allows Singapore residents to apply for its cards? Seems unlikely.

That's true, unless you're like stationed in Malaysia. They'll probably want to see your registered address and utility bills.

lcpteck Jun 24, 2015 4:50 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 25018831)
Don't most cards incur FX of more like 2-3%? I know my Citi PM card is 2.8%.

Yeah Singapore's FX rates are quite high. Besides we have a good number of cards with 4 miles per $ earn rate though they need specific spending. But I think they're good enough.

carrotjuice Jun 24, 2015 5:53 am

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 25018694)
So a Singapore resident could theoretically hop across the border to JB, apply for this card, swipe all his "local" transactions in SG and get a steady 3+ miles per S$ (subject to rounding and of course a 1-2% FX loss).

Am I missing something here? :confused:

Unless you have MYR income which you would use to pay off your (hypothetical) Malaysian credit card, you actually incur FX loss twice - once when you charge your SGD spends to your MYR card, and the second time when you convert your SGD to MYR to pay the card bill.

Volasia Jun 24, 2015 5:28 pm

UOB doesn't charge per block but only per transfer. DBS charges a fee of 49.- per year independently of the number of transfers.

shuigao Jun 24, 2015 8:48 pm

Tennet1979, lcpteck, carrotjuice, Well, something like 15-20% of Singapore's total workforce stays in Malaysia and commutes daily. And an additional x% on top of that (myself included in this statistic) were originally Malaysians and still have Malaysian address(es), banking accounts, etc :P

But yes you're right, after crunching the numbers some more, all the added hassle, FX losses, etc isn't worth the slight increase in miles.

lcpteck Jun 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 25022758)
UOB doesn't charge per block but only per transfer. DBS charges a fee of 49.- per year independently of the number of transfers.

That's true, you just gotta meet the per block requirement.

lcpteck Jun 25, 2015 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 24982421)
My previous experience was they will credit plus or minus the due date. I suggest you wait till 1st July.

Originally Posted by kt85 (Post 24982123)
has anyone received your expedia - citibank 6x miles credited into your account? Miles are supposed to be credited by 30 jun 2015 but it has yet to be posted.

Previous experience I had was that it will will be posted slightly earlier.

I notice this morning (I couldn't sleep due to diarrhea...) that the 6x points are in.

Volasia Jun 25, 2015 9:59 pm

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

...too much info....

kt85 Jun 25, 2015 10:49 pm

yeay! i got the 6x too.!

chewiegranolabar Jun 26, 2015 1:55 am

UOB conversion to miles is super fast! I sent in my request at 7.30 pm last night. It's 3.50 pm and the miles are in! Less than 24 hours.

Note: this isn't my first time converting so my krisflyer account is already linked with my UOB