FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lokijuh May 24, 2015 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 24864649)
Yes, anything under S$ 2 cents is a no-brainer. You can easily get 4/5 cents value for business/first class redemptions.

It depends on whether you will accept any substitute for SQ business! There are some decent fares around on other carriers that would diminish this to 2-3c depending on the route.

machineblue May 25, 2015 12:38 am

I have a question in regard to the calculation of UNI$ on PRVI AMEX. I have had this card for several months and have tracked the previous calculations without issue. However this month, the accrued balance showing on our statement is about 600 UNI$ more than my spreadsheet shows. Also, the calculation for current spending is off in a similar fashion. Is there something i should be looking out for that can create such a difference? I double checked the formulas and looked again to make sure all charges were local charges, but beyond that, i am at a loss. I really don't want to call UOB and ask them in case this is just an error.

Does UOB change their formulas if you hit a certain spend threshold? I assume they don't, but at this point i am trying to find any logical reason to have this discrepancy. Also, there are two charges on my statement that show with an asterisk. One is Expedia and the other is a paypal charge, however they both show as charged in local currency.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

carrotjuice May 25, 2015 3:41 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 24864711)
It depends on whether you will accept any substitute for SQ business! There are some decent fares around on other carriers that would diminish this to 2-3c depending on the route.

Exactly. I recall reading somewhere that the general (conservative) consensus is to value 1 mile at SGD 2 cents.

demue May 25, 2015 3:58 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 24865216)
Exactly. I recall reading somewhere that the general (conservative) consensus is to value 1 mile at SGD 2 cents.

This one becomes quite a personal benchmark and I can understand that some may use 2 cents and some may say they can do much better.

I for one like some others think I can do much better than 2 cents hence 1.7 cents to generate a mile is still quite attractive for the spend and effort involved and not having a better / cheaper way.

I hear you though on the miles piling up, reaching expiry and the related redemption challenges especially when it comes to 2+ passengers type situations.

YMMV

pompipi May 25, 2015 10:02 pm

DBS Altitude Visa 2x miles until end July

http://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/promo...le-miles-promo

What do you guys think of this? 6miles/$ for online flight and hotel transactions & 4miles/$ for overseas spend

shuigao May 25, 2015 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by pompipi (Post 24868807)
What do you guys think of this? 6miles/$ for online flight and hotel transactions & 4miles/$ for overseas spend

It's good if you already have the card, but the low 3,000 cap on bonus miles makes me think not good enough to purposely go out of your way to apply for it if you don't.

Volasia May 25, 2015 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 24864487)
Am I the only one who doesn't quite see the point for UOB to issue a PRVI Visa card that has the same benefits as the PRVI MC?

surprising, I didn't realise the price of the MC has dropped. Indeed, the MC is more advantageous as you get the world benefits.

elliotng May 26, 2015 5:43 am

So.... for Uber rides in SG, do they charge as SGD transaction or forex transaction? I'll use UOB Visa Signature if they charge as forex.

Are uber rides considered online transactions that allow me to use DBS woman's card to get 4 miles/dollar?

MilesBuzz May 27, 2015 3:53 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 24864520)
Not for me. I can pay international school fees at about 1.23 SGD cents per mile.

Care to elaborate about this? Thaks :cool:

demue May 27, 2015 10:43 am

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 24869031)
It's good if you already have the card, but the low 3,000 cap on bonus miles makes me think not good enough to purposely go out of your way to apply for it if you don't.

Just right for my 5 day Bali Holiday which will eat up that amount of bonus miles nicely. But I agree that for shift of larger spend or even applying new it may not be that much of an influencer though if DBS still offers 12k mls bonus for signup this could stack nicely with the minimum spend.

pompipi Jun 3, 2015 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by TTOTY (Post 24783269)
few days back tried to t/f DBS$ from my wife's DBS acct into her KF acct. In the past, all it takes was 24-48 hours. This round however, no sign of the miles even after 96 hours.

not too sure if anyone else experienced the same issue with DBS cards?

I've been saving up for a suite redemption and just earlier this week proceeded with transferring the points from UOB and Citi to KF.

I've not transferred before from either banks, so I need to link the KF and CC accounts.

On the Citi platform, the whole process from linking of accounts to points being reflected in KF took less than 48hrs.

On the UOB platform, I need to download form, fill them up, fax/ email, and then wait 2 weeks before I can do the transfer. And then who knows how long before it will be reflected in my KF acct.

Goes to show the efficiency of the UOB processes. Good thing I started this process 2 months before the redemption window opens.

laurent_rio Jun 4, 2015 1:45 am

Last month i charge 1,103 SGD (i only get 785 DBS point : ( ) using DBS Visa Altitude and i calculate and they only give for charge in SGD they give 1 SGD = 0.6 DBS point and for charge in other currency 1 SGD = 1 DBS point.
I do booking air asia ticket from Johor Bahru (the charge in SGD so they calculate the DBS point 1 SGD = 0.6 DBS point ) also hotel in Medan (agoda charge in SGD also get same).

My question :
1. Will after 90 days, they give the 3 miles/1.5 DBS point for online booking flight and hotel as mentioned in TC, anybody got experiences ?
2. If i book ticket , for example i book Indonesian flight using Indonesian travel agent online (pay online) will i get 3 miles or only 2 miles ?

Thanks

aster Jun 6, 2015 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by laurent_rio (Post 24916569)
Last month i charge 1,103 SGD (i only get 785 DBS point : ( ) using DBS Visa Altitude and i calculate and they only give for charge in SGD they give 1 SGD = 0.6 DBS point

Hi Laurent, and welcome to FT! :cool: ^

From your description that looks about right: keep in mind that 1 DBS point = 2 miles. Hope this helps!

aster Jun 6, 2015 11:22 pm

:-: New promo for DBS Altitude Visa:

From 10 May – 31 July 2015, earn double miles on all your spend. That’s up to 6 miles/S$1 spent!

Online Flight and Hotel transactions: 6 miles/S$1 (currently 3 miles/S$1)

Overseas spend: 4 miles/S$1 (currently 2 miles/S$1)

Local spend: 2.4 miles/S$1 (currently 1.2 miles/S$1)

Unfortunately we cannot go all out on some crazy shopping frenzy as there is the fine print: Accelerated Miles earn rate during promotion period (capped at 3,000 bonus miles)

Enjoy guys! :)

AddictedTraveller Jun 7, 2015 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 24930881)
:-: New promo for DBS Altitude Visa:

From 10 May – 31 July 2015, earn double miles on all your spend. That’s up to 6 miles/S$1 spent!

Online Flight and Hotel transactions: 6 miles/S$1 (currently 3 miles/S$1)

Overseas spend: 4 miles/S$1 (currently 2 miles/S$1)

Local spend: 2.4 miles/S$1 (currently 1.2 miles/S$1)

Unfortunately we cannot go all out on some crazy shopping frenzy as there is the fine print: Accelerated Miles earn rate during promotion period (capped at 3,000 bonus miles)

Enjoy guys! :)

Was a little annoyed with this cap!