FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

percysmith May 19, 15 3:45 am

Oh. There's a slight difference in amount.

Use the code after 82 - Reason Code 83 (Fraud - Card Absent Environment) "The Cardholder did not authorize or participate in a Transaction conducted in a Card-Absent Environment."

Ask for your old card to be cancelled and a new card issued because Expedia has somehow held your card information without authorisation.

lingua101 May 19, 15 5:21 am


Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 24837140)
Oh. There's a slight difference in amount.

Use the code after 82 - Reason Code 83 (Fraud - Card Absent Environment) "The Cardholder did not authorize or participate in a Transaction conducted in a Card-Absent Environment."

Ask for your old card to be cancelled and a new card issued because Expedia has somehow held your card information without authorisation.

I have asked the card to be cancelled straight away once I got the SMS alert, as I did not use the card at that time and it does not even show Expedia.

That's what I want to highlight here. Some how Expedia DOES store CC info.

carrotjuice May 19, 15 7:09 am


Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 24837118)
01/12/2014 P T GARUDA INDONESIA EXPESINGAPORE SGD 175.00
17/02/2015 EXPEDIA*110052082328 EXPEDIA.SG SGD 175.70

Those are the 2 charges. You really think easy to proof it is duplicate? Personally I doubt so. The only common things are "EXPE" and it is 2.5 months apart.

I suppose you can show to Citibank that you've only ever booked one flight on Garuda through Expedia, and the difference is just minor shift in the FX rate over the period.

In my previous case with the TA which got resolved quickly, it was 4-5 months apart and the amount wasn't identical due to FX rate changes. It was resolved without much hassle. All the best in getting yours resolved.

lingua101 May 19, 15 11:47 pm


Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 24837577)
I suppose you can show to Citibank that you've only ever booked one flight on Garuda through Expedia, and the difference is just minor shift in the FX rate over the period.

In my previous case with the TA which got resolved quickly, it was 4-5 months apart and the amount wasn't identical due to FX rate changes. It was resolved without much hassle. All the best in getting yours resolved.

Both transaction are in SGD. Actually I do not even know why Expedia even charge me different amount. May be different tax?

As I said, the issue is not getting the refund. With my relationship with Citibank, I am "force" Citibank to reverse it somehow some way, as the amount is not really big.

Any one has any idea how can Expedia can charge me again in 2.5 months. that's a million dollar question for me.

lokijuh May 20, 15 1:07 am


Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 24837322)
Some how Expedia DOES store CC info.

This is interesting, we all know airlines store CC info when they issue tickets. It is not uncommon for airlines to ask to see the CC which was used to pay for tickets, during check in process. Wonder if expedia uses the same mechanism that airlines do (associated with the ticket itself).

lingua101 May 20, 15 1:26 am


Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 24842225)
This is interesting, we all know airlines store CC info when they issue tickets. It is not uncommon for airlines to ask to see the CC which was used to pay for tickets, during check in process. Wonder if expedia uses the same mechanism that airlines do (associated with the ticket itself).

Not very true. they somehow do store the credit card number information partially. like 4567 xxxx xxxx xxxx 6007. I do not know how exactly they store it. I am guesssing 2 possibilities:
1. They just store that information (with many x). So somehow some way, even I give different credit card as long as the first 4 and last 4 digits the same, they cannot tell. But, I can tell you you cannot use other credit card, becuase the first 4 digit is a BIN number (unique identifier issue to the bank, in this case by VISA) and the last digit is a check sum. so very unlikely you can produce different card from same issuer with the same last 4 digits

2. They store it in the encrypted form. So the only way they verified it is just swipe your card to get the info and encrypt it using same algorithm and see if it match with what they store.

so in either way, there is no way for airlines to submit another charges using the information they save.

Again, I do not work for airlines, so I may be totally talking rubbish here.

I doubt airlines can charge you additional amount using the same CC without you giving the CC info again.

So it is different here.

ZenWorld May 20, 15 4:45 am

I think it is easy to dispute this duplicate charge. Firstly, unless expedia wants to issue another receipt for the feb charges, they cannot claim from your card a 2nd time.

If they are doing it a 2nd time, without any valid reason, this is illegal.

Citibank should stop the 2nd transaction. If expedia insist on charging it, ask them to show proof of transaction, and let citibank verify it is a duplicate charge compared to the 1st transaction in dec 2014. (and if Citibank fails to do their job properly, take them to task and send the exchanges to MAS)

If expedia has done something this ridiculous, and they finally acknowledge they made a big mess, then they should offer you a gesture for all your time wasted in the incident.

You can consider to take this to CASE, as expedia may have been trying their luck all the time to do duplicate transactions and hope they have gone unnoticed. Perhaps if CASE receives a consistent pattern of complaints, they can investigate.

You can also consider filing this to Expedia's HQ, to let them know that their SG office has some dubious practices, like what you have experienced. Expedia has lots to answer to you.

I am personally surprised that Expedia did not do their own internal investigation arising from your dispute, and tried to brush you off nonchalantly at first. This is quite poor.

tboons May 20, 15 8:14 am

after booking on expedia 3 months ago, my card has been charged 3 times for different tickets. had to call in to dispute the charges, expedia Singapore refused to do anything and had to call the bank which i claimed back the amount.

ZenWorld May 20, 15 10:16 am


Originally Posted by tboons (Post 24843282)
after booking on expedia 3 months ago, my card has been charged 3 times for different tickets. had to call in to dispute the charges, expedia Singapore refused to do anything and had to call the bank which i claimed back the amount.

Looks like a potential pattern here....

lingua101 May 20, 15 11:28 pm


Originally Posted by ZenWorld (Post 24842741)
I think it is easy to dispute this duplicate charge. Firstly, unless expedia wants to issue another receipt for the feb charges, they cannot claim from your card a 2nd time.

If they are doing it a 2nd time, without any valid reason, this is illegal.

Citibank should stop the 2nd transaction. If expedia insist on charging it, ask them to show proof of transaction, and let citibank verify it is a duplicate charge compared to the 1st transaction in dec 2014. (and if Citibank fails to do their job properly, take them to task and send the exchanges to MAS)

If expedia has done something this ridiculous, and they finally acknowledge they made a big mess, then they should offer you a gesture for all your time wasted in the incident.

You can consider to take this to CASE, as expedia may have been trying their luck all the time to do duplicate transactions and hope they have gone unnoticed. Perhaps if CASE receives a consistent pattern of complaints, they can investigate.

You can also consider filing this to Expedia's HQ, to let them know that their SG office has some dubious practices, like what you have experienced. Expedia has lots to answer to you.

I am personally surprised that Expedia did not do their own internal investigation arising from your dispute, and tried to brush you off nonchalantly at first. This is quite poor.


First charge is from PT GARUDA ....

Citibank said they cannot stop the 2nd transactions, even I called them once I got the per-authorization. They said once pre-authorization is done, they cannot stop. the only way to cancel the transaction is for the merchant not to present it for settlement. This simply make sense to me. The bank has to honor the per-authorization when the merchant comes for settlement.

Citibank told me the only way is to dispute the charge as illegal or fraud charge and this will take months. Of course they can temporarily reverse it first.

Just to add why I really think, Expedia people are a joke, as they do not understand how CC works. This is my other experience with ET.

I bought ET ticket online (KUL-BKK-BKK) in Dec-2012, for travel in Jan-2013. They per-authorized my card, issue me a ticket. Then later on, they cancel my return portion (BKK-KUL) of the flight saying because I have not paid for the ticket and force me to pay the ticket before they can transfer me to TG flight (as the flight from ADD was 8 hours late). I did check the charges never show up in my CC. This case, I think ET simply "forget" to do the settlement. They did fly me for "free" on KUL-BKK though and I earn my KF miles :)

tboons May 21, 15 1:28 am

DBS officer just advised me to file a fraud charge and it was resolved. Just need to be careful and observant.

lingua101 May 21, 15 3:04 am


Originally Posted by tboons (Post 24847861)
DBS officer just advised me to file a fraud charge and it was resolved. Just need to be careful and observant.

both charges were from Expedia?

lsed May 21, 15 7:14 am


Originally Posted by demue (Post 24824091)
Any advice on what card to use for Uber rides? Currently linked to my Citi PM Amex and also getting SPG points, but was looking to see if I can do better. Unfortunately the prepaid cards don't work. Guessing the transactions come in as offline charges so cards with online bonus also wouldn't work. Thanks.

I'm using PRVI miles as the UBER transactions are billed as an overseas transaction so I've been getting 2.5 MPD on my Uber rides even though they are SGD transactions.

Using Imagine card you get billed with a foreign transaction fee. But it may still be worth it to get 4 MPD.

Tennet1979 May 21, 15 11:41 am


Originally Posted by tboons (Post 24847861)
DBS officer just advised me to file a fraud charge and it was resolved. Just need to be careful and observant.

Who did you file the fraud charge with?

lcpteck May 21, 15 8:26 pm


Originally Posted by lsed (Post 24848673)
I'm using PRVI miles as the UBER transactions are billed as an overseas transaction so I've been getting 2.5 MPD on my Uber rides even though they are SGD transactions.

Using Imagine card you get billed with a foreign transaction fee. But it may still be worth it to get 4 MPD.

Since I usually use Uber overseas, I just use UOB Visa Signature (if between S$1k-2k) or DBS Woman's.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.