FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lingua101 May 18, 15 11:21 am

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 24823135)
similar experience before with expedia. anywhere to fail a complaint?

No where. I asked to get senior mgt of expedia to call me. But those who called me are a bunch of call centre agents of same races and they keep telling me it was a pre authorization charges.

Not to mention they hang up on me without even saying proper things when i keep pressing them.

What a such customer service.

I have enough with them and i believe on money power and will never ever deal with them anymore.

Tennet1979 May 18, 15 11:25 am

Whole thing doesn't make sense, frankly. Unless I'm missing something, you haven't mentioned what they actually charged you for the second time?

lingua101 May 18, 15 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Tennet1979 (Post 24833375)
Whole thing doesn't make sense, frankly. Unless I'm missing something, you haven't mentioned what they actually charged you for the second time?

It does not make sense at all.

Here is the series of event.
30-Nov-2014 -- I bought GA ticket SIN-CGK-CGK on 12-15 Dec. I got an alert from Citibank on that same night on that charges.

And this is the charge that appear in my December statement

01/12/2014 P T GARUDA INDONESIA EXPESINGAPORE SGD 175.00

On 15-Feb, out of sudden, I got an SMS alert from Citibank saying there is a charges from Travel Reservation SGP of SGD 175.70 which I did ask in this forum also. Later on this charges show as this in my Citibank account
17/02/2015 EXPEDIA*110052082328 EXPEDIA.SG SGD 175.70

110052082328 is indeed the Expedia Confirmation number of my GA booking on 12-15 Dec.

When I asked Expedia said, the airlines told Expedia (after 2 months) that they cannot collect money from my CC on the ticket they issued in Dec. Hence they asked Expedia to charge my CC again (and perhaps pay the airlines)

I told them this is the biggest joke I ever heard. Do they understand how cc works. I keep telling them, when GA charge me in December, when they pre-authorized my CC, Citibank has guaranteed to pay them the amount, unless GA did not settle that transaction (like ET). In fact, GA did settle it, otherwise it won't show in my Dec statement. but this Expedia agent keep going on and on.

As I said my biggest worry, how on earth Expedia can "recharge" me again in Feb.

Does this make it clearer for you?

tycosiao May 18, 15 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 24833404)
It does not make sense at all.

Here is the series of event.
30-Nov-2014 -- I bought GA ticket SIN-CGK-CGK on 12-15 Dec. I got an alert from Citibank on that same night on that charges.

And this is the charge that appear in my December statement

On 15-Feb, out of sudden, I got an SMS alert from Citibank saying there is a charges from Travel Reservation SGP of SGD 175.70 which I did ask in this forum also. Later on this charges show as this in my Citibank account

110052082328 is indeed the Expedia Confirmation number of my GA booking on 12-15 Dec.

When I asked Expedia said, the airlines told Expedia (after 2 months) that they cannot collect money from my CC on the ticket they issued in Dec. Hence they asked Expedia to charge my CC again (and perhaps pay the airlines)

I told them this is the biggest joke I ever heard. Do they understand how cc works. I keep telling them, when GA charge me in December, when they pre-authorized my CC, Citibank has guaranteed to pay them the amount, unless GA did not settle that transaction (like ET). In fact, GA did settle it, otherwise it won't show in my Dec statement. but this Expedia agent keep going on and on.

As I said my biggest worry, how on earth Expedia can "recharge" me again in Feb.

Does this make it clearer for you?

Yes and if there needs to be a recharge, it should be by GA not Expedia.

Open a case with Citibank, skip Expedia.

Change cards

Tennet1979 May 18, 15 1:05 pm

Much clearer. That is very messed up and screams of outright theft. It's akin to someone taking your credit card out of your wallet.

Let us know what comes of it if you can. Hope it all works out.

carrotjuice May 18, 15 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 24833316)
Nothing much Citibank can do as it is legitimate charge, other than file fraud charges case. The charge from expedia even has the booking id. This make it even more legitimate than the airlines charges.

Make the dispute with Citibank. It is NOT a legitimate charge if it is a duplicate.

I would be very concerned if that was Citibank's response - just because a merchant can concoct a booking ID doesn't mean it is legitimate... in any case it should be very easy to trace that you have been charged for the same booking ID if the transaction had been duplicated.

I remember years ago using a card on another TA (though not online) and resulted in a duplicated charge. I raised it with my bank, transaction immediately reversed, I got a slip in the mail where I signed and sent back. Never heard from the bank nor the TA again on the same issue again. TAs have various billing methods (eg. some charged directly, some charged at issuance, some are billed to company) therefore errors have been known to happen.

lingua101 May 18, 15 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 24835393)
Make the dispute with Citibank. It is NOT a legitimate charge if it is a duplicate.

I would be very concerned if that was Citibank's response - just because a merchant can concoct a booking ID doesn't mean it is legitimate... in any case it should be very easy to trace that you have been charged for the same booking ID if the transaction had been duplicated.

I remember years ago using a card on another TA (though not online) and resulted in a duplicated charge. I raised it with my bank, transaction immediately reversed, I got a slip in the mail where I signed and sent back. Never heard from the bank nor the TA again on the same issue again. TAs have various billing methods (eg. some charged directly, some charged at issuance, some are billed to company) therefore errors have been known to happen.

I have posted both charges. Personally, I think it is hard to argue it is duplicate charges. 2 different merchant. Date very far apart. Not exactly same amount.

Duplicate charges normally occur within same time, same amount and same merchant. Not correct?

lingua101 May 18, 15 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tennet1979 (Post 24833956)
Much clearer. That is very messed up and screams of outright theft. It's akin to someone taking your credit card out of your wallet.

Let us know what comes of it if you can. Hope it all works out.

Well, finally after long battle from Feb to late April, Expedia has reversed the charges. this is not until, I have many emails to them. Many long calls fighting with them.

I have prepared to lost that $175.80 anyway (not really a big amount). I seriously think the effort I put is worth more than that amount. But it is a matter of principle, why I should give Expedia extra money when they do not deserve it.

Like I said my main concern is how on earth Expedia can recharge my CC again in February. This remain unanswered by Expedia, and they keep trying to confuse me by telling me it was a pre-authorization and hang up my call after I rejected $50 voucher and keep pressing them for an answer how they can charge me again.

I called Citibank right away when I got an SMS alert in Feb and decided to block my CC as I did not make any charge on that card.

I indeed put a Fraud charges case on Citibank in parallel, the temporarily reversed the charges pending investigation which may take 2-3 months. If I am not wrong, Citibank will contact Expedia (indirectly) to ask about the charges. I am quite sure Expedia will then show the booking that made. Indeed I made the booking and the ticket has been issued under my name and I did fly it. So how to classify this as double charges or fraud case.

Tennet1979 May 18, 15 8:51 pm

Well I'm glad you managed to sort it.

Without wanting to wander too far off-topic, given that this is still a thread about accruing miles:

Let me get this straight - on the one hand Expedia claimed the second charge was legitimate yet on the other hand they were offering you a $50 voucher? Did you ask them what this was for? To make you go away? Or are they just in the business of routinely giving away money? The whole thing seems like an exercise in idiocy.

If it was me, I would have reported it to Citibank (as you did), refused to pay the charge on your monthly statement and pursued it via email and calls (making them explicitly aware that you were recording every call, as you can do with MIUI's built-in call recorder).

demue May 18, 15 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by planetshakers (Post 24832944)
Policy is one thing, but from my experience, my AMEX Imagine works nicely.

Interesting. For the Fevo it definitely does not work as it gets rejected by Uber. I tried a few times and even tried to switch card after the ride and they wrote back to me that their payment processor will reject any prepaid / preloaded credit cards.

Oh well, so much for that :). I had an Imagine Amex, but top-ups would always fail (5 instances) while my CC would be charged so I gave up on it as I couldn't be bothered to raise a case with Ezlink every time and wait days / weeks for the credit to come. YMMV.

lingua101 May 18, 15 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tennet1979 (Post 24836049)
Well I'm glad you managed to sort it.

Without wanting to wander too far off-topic, given that this is still a thread about accruing miles:

Let me get this straight - on the one hand Expedia claimed the second charge was legitimate yet on the other hand they were offering you a $50 voucher? Did you ask them what this was for? To make you go away? Or are they just in the business of routinely giving away money? The whole thing seems like an exercise in idiocy.

If it was me, I would have reported it to Citibank (as you did), refused to pay the charge on your monthly statement and pursued it via email and calls (making them explicitly aware that you were recording every call, as you can do with MIUI's built-in call recorder).

I do not know if Expedia officially think the charge is legitimate.

In many correspondence and call, they keep telling me it is pre-authorization. The $50 voucher is only offered on the call few days ago when I asked the agent, if it is pre-authorization and not double charge (which to me a big difference), why Expedia refunded me the amount and how can they charge me for second time? When I pressing for answer, he simply hang up on me. The fact that Expedia refunded the amount, to me show, the finally accepted that this is a double charge, but they do not want to acknowledge it, as this will raise a bigger question that I keep asking, how on earth they charge my CC for the second time in 2-3 months apart?

The reason I posted here, because I know many of us, do get attracted to buy the ticket from Expedia due to the extra miles.

It can be I am unlucky that this happen to me.

As I said, my biggest question that remain unanswered, which I think a very valid question, how on earth Expedia can charge me for the second time without me giving my CC details. AccorAdvantagePlus, for example, told me many time that they cannot do it, when I told them just simply charge the same CC that I used before, as they told me they do not save my CC details.

percysmith May 18, 15 11:19 pm

I wouldn't have been so patient. After getting Expedia's first reply (pre-authorisation) and Citi's confirmation it is actually charged to my card, I'll file a Visa International Opreating Regulations Reason Code 82 Duplicate Processing http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan...4.pdf#page=842 / Mastercard Chargeback Guide Code 4823 Duplicate Processing http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchan...l.pdf#page=143 chargeback. Do it in writing, attach copy of the VIOR/MC Chargeback Guide. Resend paperwork to MAS if Citi drags its feet.

I've done something similar http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=14880&p=1 #2 and #4. I don't know where to find Unionpay's chargeback policies but if Maxims's don't refund in 60 days I will ask the bank to charge it back.

lingua101 May 19, 15 2:12 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 24836546)
I wouldn't have been so patient. After getting Expedia's first reply (pre-authorisation) and Citi's confirmation it is actually charged to my card, I'll file a Visa International Opreating Regulations Reason Code 82 Duplicate Processing http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan...4.pdf#page=842 / Mastercard Chargeback Guide Code 4823 Duplicate Processing http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchan...l.pdf#page=143 chargeback. Do it in writing, attach copy of the VIOR/MC Chargeback Guide. Resend paperwork to MAS if Citi drags its feet.

I've done something similar http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=14880&p=1 #2 and #4. I don't know where to find Unionpay's chargeback policies but if Maxims's don't refund in 60 days I will ask the bank to charge it back.

I guess in your case, the charges are both from Maxims of the same amount and about the same time?

Not in my case. 2 different merchant, slightly different amount and 3 months apart :) my question how to proof this is double charge?

percysmith May 19, 15 2:13 am

Same amount perhaps? How often can you get the exact same charge from Expedia?

lingua101 May 19, 15 3:31 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 24836959)
Same amount perhaps? How often can you get the exact same charge from Expedia?

Those are the 2 charges. You really think easy to proof it is duplicate? Personally I doubt so. The only common things are "EXPE" and it is 2.5 months apart.