FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

demue May 11, 2015 8:51 pm

Well paying rent and accruing points / miles is tough in Singapore unless it is like a Service Apartment company or so. The Paypal scenario could work in theory, but what type of account the recipient needs I also don't know.

I do have a German LH M&M credit card that has a transfer facility (only works to pay bills in Germany). Basically it is like a bank transfer (e.g. FAST in SIN) where you can pay any recipient into their bank account, but the money is taken from your CC balance. You get 1 mile per Euro spend, but nowadays it comes with a hefty 2.5% fee effectively costing you 2.5 Euro cent per mile which is not that attractive (used to be 1.25% which was more palatable). I'm not aware of anything like that available with credit cards over here, except for the IRAS tax payment part discussed a few posts above.

lcpteck May 11, 2015 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by staff (Post 24801577)
Would the landlord need a PayPal business account to be able to accept credit cards, or would a standard account do? If yes, would such a transaction accrue points?

That's a good question. I remember reading about Paypal Singapore limiting personal transfers from last year. Googled and found this article.

As to whether points can be earned from this I'm not really sure as I don't have any personal experience (I don't use paypal much even though I signed up long time ago).

shuigao May 11, 2015 11:36 pm

Do any of you Citi PM guys ever do a reconciliation on the accrued mileage? I haven't bothered checking since I got the card, always assuming the calculation is correct. Looking at the latest statement and calculating for the first time, what I think should accrue and what actually accrued ended up a ~2.3% difference (shortfall).

Can't seem to find any way either off the statement or off the website to find out exactly how many miles were accrued on a per-transaction basis though ...

lcpteck May 12, 2015 12:10 am

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 24802153)
Do any of you Citi PM guys ever do a reconciliation on the accrued mileage? I haven't bothered checking since I got the card, always assuming the calculation is correct. Looking at the latest statement and calculating for the first time, what I think should accrue and what actually accrued ended up a ~2.3% difference (shortfall).

Can't seem to find any way either off the statement or off the website to find out exactly how many miles were accrued on a per-transaction basis though ...

So far no problems with my Citibank PM calculation. Citibank calculates by per transaction and no rounding at all for Citibank PM. So decimal point is counted as well. You will only see the decimal point value in the website and not in the monthly statement.

I put all my transactions in a spreadsheet to do the calculation. If I'm not wrong, no banks currently shows the individual calculation in the spreadsheet or the website.

lokijuh May 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 24802221)
So far no problems with my Citibank PM calculation. Citibank calculates by per transaction and no rounding at all for Citibank PM. So decimal point is counted as well. .

This is only partially correct, Citibank does do rounding. Citibank rounds the dollars down before multiplying by 1.2, but they don't round the points after that multiplication.

So for a spend of $7.95, you get 7*1.2 = 8.4 miles (not 7.95*1.2 = 9.54 miles). For my last statement this led to 0.7% variation - compared to simply multiplying total spend by 1.2, although taking out the one dominant transaction (that was >50% of total statement) it would have been 1.4%. If you had lots of small transactions I could see how it could get up to 2-3% .

lcpteck May 13, 2015 7:15 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 24807137)
This is only partially correct, Citibank does do rounding. Citibank rounds the dollars down before multiplying by 1.2, but they don't round the points after that multiplication.

Lol you're right, guess I forgot about it since my spreadsheet was created in back in 2012.

Only recently updated the UOB Visa Signature calculation formula since that is my latest card (just got it a few months ago). Great for FCY spending between S$1k-2k.

vsepr May 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Looks like DBS is going to increase the blocks to 20,000 miles from 01 July 2015 onwards.

Read this:
http://www.dbs.com.sg/iwov-resources...3miles-tnc.pdf

6. 5,000 DBS Points will be credited in the Principal Card account 3 months after your
annual fee is charged. Cardmembers may request to convert 10,000 DBS Points to
20,000 air miles
(Frequent Flyer Programme terms applies).

lcpteck May 13, 2015 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 24812411)
Looks like DBS is going to increase the blocks to 20,000 miles from 01 July 2015 onwards.

Read this:
http://www.dbs.com.sg/iwov-resources...3miles-tnc.pdf

6. 5,000 DBS Points will be credited in the Principal Card account 3 months after your
annual fee is charged. Cardmembers may request to convert 10,000 DBS Points to
20,000 air miles
(Frequent Flyer Programme terms applies).

Heh first it was 5k dbs points, then it became 10k dbs points, afterwhich they drop it back to 5k, and now it going back to 10k again.

I wonder if the T&C is just copy and paste and they forgot to edit it from the previous change. Btw vsepr, where does it say effective July 1st? I can't seem to find it.

vsepr May 13, 2015 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 24812571)
Heh first it was 5k dbs points, then it became 10k dbs points, afterwhich they drop it back to 5k, and now it going back to 10k again.

I wonder if the T&C is just copy and paste and they forgot to edit it from the previous change. Btw vsepr, where does it say effective July 1st? I can't seem to find it.

DBS change their rewards catalogue every July.

lcpteck May 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 24812605)
DBS change their rewards catalogue every July.

Okay let's wait and see.

vsepr May 14, 2015 6:23 am

Valid from 15 May to 14 Jul 2015

ANZ GSS 2015 Promotion Terms and Conditions:

https://sg.anz.com/ANZPrivileges/pro...Conditions.pdf

This time real cash rebate is credited. Not in the form of Travel$. I miss the May 2013 promo. Getting worse each year!

Wadexis May 14, 2015 8:30 pm

Hey Everyone,

I read back in February that EZ-link auto top-ups with Citibank cards (except Citi SMRT card) will no longer be eligible for miles/rewards.

Is there a list of such exceptions somewhere online? I checked the shared google spreadsheet as well as Citibank's website and T&Cs but could not find such list..

That would be helpful.

Cheers

lingua101 May 15, 2015 12:43 am

Expedia Promotion

Guys, if you are thinking to get extra points buying ticket from Expedia, please be careful.

I suspect Expedia stored our credit card information.

I just had a long conversation with Expedia Customer Service who told me because I was complaining about the double charges they did to me.

He hanged up on me after I rejected his offer of $50 voucher and keep insisting him to explain how on earth Expedia can charge me the second time on my CC. (through out the conversation he tried to "confuse" me that that double charges is pre-authorization)

To my knowledge, when I do purchase online, the CC information that I enter will directly go to payment gateway, which then will contact the merchant bank to do per-authorization. Once the per-authorization is approved, the merchant has x days (normally 7-14 days) to settle this transaction to the merchant bank which will then post it to my CC bank.

Without me, entering my credit card information again, there is no way for the merchant to again charge my CC, not to mention 2-3 months later.

So the fact Expedia can charge me again in Feb-2015 (when I did the transaction in Dec-2014) lead me to the conclusion that Expedia DOES store our CC information.

So be careful.

qwerty23 May 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Wadexis (Post 24817838)
Hey Everyone,

I read back in February that EZ-link auto top-ups with Citibank cards (except Citi SMRT card) will no longer be eligible for miles/rewards.

Is there a list of such exceptions somewhere online? I checked the shared google spreadsheet as well as Citibank's website and T&Cs but could not find such list..

That would be helpful.

Cheers

it was only shared at the monthly statement

tboons May 15, 2015 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 24818492)
Guys, if you are thinking to get extra points buying ticket from Expedia, please be careful.

I suspect Expedia stored our credit card information.

I just had a long conversation with Expedia Customer Service who told me because I was complaining about the double charges they did to me.

He hanged up on me after I rejected his offer of $50 voucher and keep insisting him to explain how on earth Expedia can charge me the second time on my CC. (through out the conversation he tried to "confuse" me that that double charges is pre-authorization)

To my knowledge, when I do purchase online, the CC information that I enter will directly go to payment gateway, which then will contact the merchant bank to do per-authorization. Once the per-authorization is approved, the merchant has x days (normally 7-14 days) to settle this transaction to the merchant bank which will then post it to my CC bank.

Without me, entering my credit card information again, there is no way for the merchant to again charge my CC, not to mention 2-3 months later.

So the fact Expedia can charge me again in Feb-2015 (when I did the transaction in Dec-2014) lead me to the conclusion that Expedia DOES store our CC information.

So be careful.

similar experience before with expedia. anywhere to fail a complaint?