FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

Volasia Apr 30, 15 8:02 pm


Originally Posted by Reg84 (Post 24742285)
Hey all, long time follower, first time posting.

Not sure if you Gurus already know about all these information i'm about the post but its a more visual experience to see it from this site that my friend made to explain which cards to use and when to use it.

Hope this helps you guys, feel free to share it! Good stuff must share!

You should really delete this website. You are not helping anyone by publishing this.

Aeran May 1, 15 3:56 am


Originally Posted by demue (Post 24745146)
Hmm, a first post with flattery and self-promotion. Not sure I'm buying it. Looks more like generating traffic to the site.

All the info on that blog can be gained from this forum or HWZ with a bit of effort. While you guys can do what you want, highlighting certain earn methods over and over to broader audiences will sooner or later lead to their elimination. Just saying.

Thought I'd chime in here to give some context - I'm the creator of the site that was shared (deetiles). The site is a platform for user generated content and the list that was shared is a tiny fraction of the overall site. A comparison would be the Wordpress platform vs. a blog post by a single user, or the Forum platform vs. a specific thread on a single forum like FlyerTalk.

Reg84 does not have a stake in the site nor the specific list. He is a friend of mine whom I shared the link with months ago to summarise which cards to use for what. I did not ask for it to be posted here and was unaware until I checked the thread just now.

I completely agree that this thread is the best source of information for earning miles via credit cards in SG - I've made posts in it myself and check it regularly. The motivation behind creating the list was to distill the info for close friends and family who always ask about credit cards but still have trouble after being sent the link to this thread and/or a long, detailed email about it. In no way was it meant to compete with much more thorough resources such as this thread, and I don't share/promote it in a public manner - I like my 4 miles / S$ too!

Apologies if this response comes off as defensive but I have deliberately not posted links to potentially relevant lists created on my site (e.g. credit cards for miles in SG, SQ Book the Cook options, trip reports of SQ F 77WN & Suites) on FT because I knew that would likely come off as self-promoting and not be received well. So it is a bit disheartening to see it happen beyond of my control and then read comments that the entire site should be deleted as a result.

chewiegranolabar May 1, 15 9:03 pm

Thanks for sharing the link. I'd be sure to check some of the HK food recs when I'm there next week!

rakso79 May 3, 15 3:00 am


Originally Posted by rakso79 (Post 24736404)
What should you do with the Ascend... spent S$10,000 on it within 3 months and not just go for the 5,000 bonus miles for the first transaction?

From the AMEX site: Earn 15,000 Bonus KrisFlyer miles when you spend S$5,000 in the first 3 months upon Card approval OR Earn 35,000 Bonus KrisFlyer miles when you spend S$10,000 and above in the first 3 months upon Card approval

So do people generally agree that the Singapore AMEX Ascend and its 35,000 bonus miles on S$10,000 spend in three months is better than the Singapore AMEX Krisflyer Gold and its 5,000 bonus miles on the first transaction?

w4rd May 3, 15 3:34 am


Originally Posted by rakso79 (Post 24757202)
So do people generally agree that the Singapore AMEX Ascend and its 35,000 bonus miles on S$10,000 spend in three months is better than the Singapore AMEX Krisflyer Gold and its 5,000 bonus miles on the first transaction?

Depends on how much you plan to spend in the next 3 months. I'm waiting for some large spend to come along before applying for the Ascend.

hclee01 May 3, 15 11:08 pm

SG ANZ Cards - Income Tax Payment Rewards Programme
 
This is to share the new miles earning rates for ANZ Travel Card wef May 2015 Income Tax payment:

https://sg.anz.com/ANZPrivileges/tax-payment/

Card: ANZ Travel Visa Signature
Travel$ Earned: 0.5 Travel$
Processing Fee: 1%

Card: ANZ Platinum & Switch Platinum Credit Card
Rewards Point Earned: 1 Rewards Point for every S$5 charged
Processing Fee: 1%

Card: ANZ Signature Priority Banking Visa Infinite Credit Card
Rewards Point Earned: 1 Rewards Point for every S$5 charged
Processing Fee: 0.5%

Also, there is no more mention that the processing fee will be refunded upon meeting the minimum spending annually (unlike the Y2014 programme)

vsepr May 4, 15 1:34 am


Originally Posted by hclee01 (Post 24760782)
This is to share the new miles earning rates for ANZ Travel Card wef May 2015 Income Tax payment:

https://sg.anz.com/ANZPrivileges/tax-payment/

Card: ANZ Travel Visa Signature
Travel$ Earned: 0.5 Travel$
Processing Fee: 1%

Card: ANZ Platinum & Switch Platinum Credit Card
Rewards Point Earned: 1 Rewards Point for every S$5 charged
Processing Fee: 1%

Card: ANZ Signature Priority Banking Visa Infinite Credit Card
Rewards Point Earned: 1 Rewards Point for every S$5 charged
Processing Fee: 0.5%

Also, there is no more mention that the processing fee will be refunded upon meeting the minimum spending annually (unlike the Y2014 programme)

How about "Winter Time" and "Cold Wear" outlets?

http://www.wintertime.com.sg/

Can earn 10x Citidollars with Citi Rewards Card?

lcpteck May 4, 15 9:35 am


Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 24761085)
How about "Winter Time" and "Cold Wear" outlets?

http://www.wintertime.com.sg/

Can earn 10x Citidollars with Citi Rewards Card?

What does it have to do with tax payment??? :confused:

carrotjuice May 4, 15 11:37 am


Originally Posted by hclee01 (Post 24760782)
This is to share the new miles earning rates for ANZ Travel Card wef May 2015 Income Tax payment:

https://sg.anz.com/ANZPrivileges/tax-payment/

Card: ANZ Travel Visa Signature
Travel$ Earned: 0.5 Travel$
Processing Fee: 1%

Card: ANZ Platinum & Switch Platinum Credit Card
Rewards Point Earned: 1 Rewards Point for every S$5 charged
Processing Fee: 1%

Card: ANZ Signature Priority Banking Visa Infinite Credit Card
Rewards Point Earned: 1 Rewards Point for every S$5 charged
Processing Fee: 0.5%

Also, there is no more mention that the processing fee will be refunded upon meeting the minimum spending annually (unlike the Y2014 programme)

Wow... this scheme is no longer as competitive as previous years.

Now to get 1 point (= 2 miles) need to charge S$5 in taxes.
For Priority Banking Visa Infinite, the fee is 0.5% or 2.5 cents which works out to 1.25 cents per mile.
For other ANZ cards, the fee is 1% which makes it 2.5 cents per mile!

Considering the 'broad consensus value' of 1 mile is 2 cents, seems this may still be worthwhile if one signs up for Priority Banking and charge taxes to the Visa Infinite card only.

The worst devaluation for the Travel Visa Signature. This year earn a measly 0.5 Travel$ (= 0.5 mile) for every S$1 tax charged but need to pay 1%, which works out to 2 cents per mile. Last year it was 1 Travel$ (= 1 mile) for every S$1 tax charged and need only pay 0.5% with Priority Banking, thus just 0.5 cent per mile. Price has gone up four fold!!

tycosiao May 4, 15 12:40 pm

Tried booking 3 MH tickets on expedia.com.sg on 30 May and it just won't go through the booking page.

There goes my 6x points on Citi PM.

Side: No more Jetquay for HSBC VI = No more free parking :td::td:

No more rebate on shell petrol too!

God, what's with all the devaluation that is happening?

lcpteck May 4, 15 11:21 pm


Originally Posted by tycosiao (Post 24763554)
Tried booking 3 MH tickets on expedia.com.sg on 30 May and it just won't go through the booking page.

There goes my 6x points on Citi PM.

I guess it's sold out.

shuigao May 5, 15 2:17 am

Can anyone check my math here? Was just looking at the KF Ascend. The "base" accrue rate of 1 mile per $1.20 spend is horrendous, but actually after adding on the "monthly accelerator" seems OK for months that you have big purchases leh.


Monthly accelerator

Spend a minimum of S$1,000 in a calendar month, and receive a bonus of 300 KrisFlyer miles* for every additional S$500 you spend in the same month, with no cap to what you can earn!
Code:

Spend  KF Ascend    Citi PM
$1,000        833      1,200
$1,500      1,550      1,800
$2,000      2,267      2,400
$2,500      2,983      3,000
$4,000      5,133      4,800
$5,000      6,567      6,000


carrotjuice May 5, 15 2:22 am


Originally Posted by tycosiao (Post 24763554)
Tried booking 3 MH tickets on expedia.com.sg on 30 May and it just won't go through the booking page.

There goes my 6x points on Citi PM.

I recall encountering the same problem with Citi PM previously, but when I switched to my Citi Rewards MC - it worked. Why this is so, I have absolutely no idea.

Try another Citi card - the bonus when translated to miles is the same.

carrotjuice May 5, 15 2:29 am


Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 24767032)
Can anyone check my math here? Was just looking at the KF Ascend. The "base" accrue rate of 1 mile per $1.20 spend is horrendous, but actually after adding on the "monthly accelerator" seems OK for months that you have big purchases leh.



Code:

Spend  KF Ascend    Citi PM
$1,000        833      1,200
$1,500      1,550      1,800
$2,000      2,267      2,400
$2,500      2,983      3,000
$4,000      5,133      4,800
$5,000      6,567      6,000


That's because you're only comparing to Citi PM at 1.2 miles per S$1. If you compare to the ANZ Travel Visa Signature or UOB PRVI at 1.4 miles per S$1 the math can be rather different...

markcwj May 5, 15 9:17 pm


Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 24767064)
That's because you're only comparing to Citi PM at 1.2 miles per S$1. If you compare to the ANZ Travel Visa Signature or UOB PRVI at 1.4 miles per S$1 the math can be rather different...

I second that - the ANZ Travel Visa Signature is still a strong contender for miles accrual.

http://i.imgur.com/vyjaN7W.png

Unless you are spending approximately above $20,000, the ANZ Travel Visa Signature is still your best bet for non-bonus spending.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:48 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.