FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

SQ319 Nov 18, 14 2:39 am

Originally Posted by machineblue (Post 23857294)
Also, is there a good rule of thumb when trying to figure out credit limits for these cards in terms of X/monthly salary? The only thing i have seen are the maximums of something like 4x monthly salary or 100k.

My credit limit ranges from 2x monthly salary to 6x monthly salary, depending on type of card.

The safe assumption since you are new to Singapore is probably 2x monthly salary, however, if you expect a huge expense coming up, you can always request for a temp credit limit increase.

SingaporeDon Nov 18, 14 2:50 am

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 23857204)
U can get Amex imagine prepaid card. Top up the amex card using DBS woman card. U can top up 1000 for the maximum amount inside the card

U can top up 1000 and credit them to the school twice a month to maximize the 2000 limit. If you and your wife apply tog, you will get 4000 to spend.

But remember, AMEX Imagine prepaid is a pain when it comes to tracking your expenses, as you don't get a monthly statement. You will have to download your transactions online and keep track of them. May be you should bring Quicken software with you and use it in Singapore to track your spend on such cards. Incidentally, Quicken has no auto update feature in Singapore as none of the local banks/credit card cos don't support it.

Also, bringing a no foreign fee credit card from US is a good idea. Why don't you and wife apply for no FC fee US credit cards with large sign on bonuses for $xx spend, and use those for your kids's school fees? BA Chase 50, Ink Bold 50/70k, United 50k, etc etc

SirJman Nov 18, 14 3:04 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23853431)
Got a surprise in the mail.

I won $45 worth of Comfort taxi cab vouchers from their past promotion (Ride & Book for free).

You didn't win, it was a promo, every 5 bookings = $5. They sent ours ($85) registered post which means I have to go to the bloody post office on Saturday to get it.

demue Nov 18, 14 4:13 am

Originally Posted by SirJman (Post 23858665)
You didn't win, it was a promo, every 5 bookings = $5. They sent ours ($85) registered post which means I have to go to the bloody post office on Saturday to get it.

Ohh that's what it is. Yup same here I'll have to run over there on Sat to collect. At least I got another package from Europe that I also need to collect so it works out just about okay (that is if those geniuses at Speedpost ever manage to leave a notice for me to collect the parcel, I know they tried to deliver based on online tracking :rolleyes:).

lcpteck Nov 18, 14 7:20 am

Originally Posted by SirJman (Post 23858665)

Oh I see, cool promo nonetheless. Yeah it's sent by registered mail so vouchers won't get lost/stolen.

lcpteck Nov 18, 14 7:24 am

Do take note that there is quite a discrepancy in bonus points posting for DBS Woman's World MC for the 16th of this month (bonus points for last month's spending). I suggest everyone to keep do some calculation and see what transactions are not getting the extra 9x points.

Have emailed to DBS to enquire about this. Hope to hear some good news. I hope they did not do what I think they did. :(

machineblue Nov 18, 14 9:50 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 23858641)
But remember, AMEX Imagine prepaid is a pain when it comes to tracking your expenses, as you don't get a monthly statement. You will have to download your transactions online and keep track of them. May be you should bring Quicken software with you and use it in Singapore to track your spend on such cards. Incidentally, Quicken has no auto update feature in Singapore as none of the local banks/credit card cos don't support it.

Also, bringing a no foreign fee credit card from US is a good idea. Why don't you and wife apply for no FC fee US credit cards with large sign on bonuses for $xx spend, and use those for your kids's school fees? BA Chase 50, Ink Bold 50/70k, United 50k, etc etc

Unfortunately we don't currently have a no fee card for foreign travel, since the majority of international travel to this point has been reimbursable. That being said, the last three trips to Mexico definitely made me wish we had a no fee card. We definitely could apply for one of those cards here, however the credit is a little more tight in the US market than in Singapore. Usually <1x monthly salary, and that wouldn't be enough to pay tuition x4.

machineblue Nov 18, 14 9:51 am

Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 23858626)
My credit limit ranges from 2x monthly salary to 6x monthly salary, depending on type of card.

The safe assumption since you are new to Singapore is probably 2x monthly salary, however, if you expect a huge expense coming up, you can always request for a temp credit limit increase.

That is a large range, but at least it is a place to start. We would be fine with 2x.

SingaporeDon Nov 18, 14 10:07 am

Originally Posted by machineblue (Post 23859912)
That is a large range, but at least it is a place to start. We would be fine with 2x.

Also remember, getting the credit cards may take some time, especially for a new comer. They usually ask for Singapore Income Tax assessments for last two years, CPF statements if you have them, copy of Idendity Card or Employment Pass etc.

machineblue Nov 18, 14 10:58 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 23859986)
Also remember, getting the credit cards may take some time, especially for a new comer. They usually ask for Singapore Income Tax assessments for last two years, CPF statements if you have them, copy of Idendity Card or Employment Pass etc.

I was under the impression that they typically look for two things in expats. 1. Employment Pass and 2. Offer Letter with terms of employment. When i talked to someone at DBS they seemed to think it wouldn't be too much of a problem, but it would take "some time". I assumed that meant like 4 weeks, not two years.:eek:

AddictedTraveller Nov 18, 14 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by machineblue (Post 23860260)
I was under the impression that they typically look for two things in expats. 1. Employment Pass and 2. Offer Letter with terms of employment. When i talked to someone at DBS they seemed to think it wouldn't be too much of a problem, but it would take "some time". I assumed that meant like 4 weeks, not two years.:eek:

Just some notes on this:

You are right some banks will offer based on your contract and EP. But this is mainly from those that are more "open" like DBS, Standard Chartered etc. DBS is a common local bank that expats go with so not surprising the response.

However some banks require 3-6 months worth of payslips for expats. In addition if you are paid in different currencies then they'll usually only consider the SGD amount.

machineblue Nov 18, 14 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller (Post 23862604)
Just some notes on this:

You are right some banks will offer based on your contract and EP. But this is mainly from those that are more "open" like DBS, Standard Chartered etc. DBS is a common local bank that expats go with so not surprising the response.

However some banks require 3-6 months worth of payslips for expats. In addition if you are paid in different currencies then they'll usually only consider the SGD amount.

Well, it seems like there will be plenty of time (and need) to accumulate other cards after we have been there for a few months. I appreciate all the advice and i have decided that our main priority right now is getting a US based card that doesn't have FC fees before we leave the states, most likely the Chase Sapphire or the Ink Plus. Neither one have great earn rates, but they both offer a decent amount of miles upfront and it will be nice to not pay 3% more while traveling abroad for pleasure. As for the tuition situation, we don't have to make our first tuition payment until Dec. 15 but i get the feeling that it would take a miracle to be approved for an SG based card by then.

lcpteck Nov 19, 14 12:40 am

Veloce Lounge new partners in SIN

As reported by the traveling mcdonald dude in HWZ (can't remember his nickname here), ANZ just partnered with SIN T2 The Green Market! They also partnered with the new Airport Wellness Oasis in T1.

You can see the list from the Wiki link that I posted up. Thanks ANZ!

Oh great, now I sound like Vsepr.... :D

SQ319 Nov 19, 14 1:34 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23863794)
As reported by the traveling mcdonald dude in HWZ (can't remember his nickname here)...

SirJman

SirJman Nov 19, 14 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 23863904)
SirJman

You rang?