FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lcpteck Nov 17, 14 4:35 am

Cabrewards

Got a surprise in the mail.

I won $45 worth of Comfort taxi cab vouchers from their past promotion (Ride & Book for free).

vsepr Nov 17, 14 5:04 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 23853040)
For Citi Rewards no. UOB PP Amex should work for 10Uni$ if Din Tai Fung is properly coded with MCC 5812-14.

Otherwise if you have Maybank Rewards Infinite then it also earns 10x points so 4mls/$. However, personal preference is that I rather go to Paradise Dynasty Xiao Long Bao (Ion) over Din Tai Fung :). YMMV

Din Tai Fung does not accept AMEX. Only VISA & MasterCard.

vsepr Nov 17, 14 5:06 am

Originally Posted by markcwj (Post 23853050)
hey vsepr, do you know if this stacks with the usual earning rate? If i spend $10,000, will I be receiving 14,000 Travel$ (the maximum per month) and then additional 22,000 Travel$ bonus if I qualify for the S$400 cashback?

Yes, this is on top of the 14,000 maximum Travel$ earned.

ANZ Year-End Promotion Terms and Conditions:

https://sg.anz.com/ANZPrivileges/pro...Conditions.pdf

lcpteck Nov 17, 14 5:07 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23853501)
Din Tai Fung does not accept AMEX. Only VISA & MasterCard.

Yeah best bet would be using Paywave (if available) or a 5x card.

vsepr Nov 17, 14 5:12 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23853508)
Yeah best bet would be using Paywave (if available) or a 5x card.

Din Tai Fung does not have payWave.

Use Citi Clear Platinum card for 5x Citidollars.

https://www.citibank.com.sg/global_d...lat_5x_tnc.pdf

lcpteck Nov 17, 14 5:20 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23853519)
Din Tai Fung does not have payWave.

Use Citi Clear Platinum card for 5x Citidollars.

https://www.citibank.com.sg/global_d...lat_5x_tnc.pdf

Yeah that's my backup dining card. HSBC Revo card is my 2nd backup. Luckily I do not have a 3rd backup...

machineblue Nov 17, 14 3:35 pm

My family is relocating to Singapore in the new year and have been trying to wrap our heads around choosing our best FF program and the accompanying credit cards. We currently hold several US based cards that we will be putting on a shelf until we return. We also have FF accts and are UA gold and Alaska Air 75k, but would likely switch to KF instead of UA if it makes sense. My main question, does anyone have experience charging educational expenses to an accruing card. I have skimmed through this thread and couldn't find this exact answer. With 4 kids, we are going to be racking up a considerable yearly educational bill and was hoping to find a card where i could recoup some of that pain with points/miles. We were looking at DBS, but i don't have a lot of faith that there isn't some sort of exclusion in the fine print. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tboons Nov 17, 14 6:47 pm

If your school accepts amex, u can use one of the prepaid card to charge which can be top up with DBS cards for 4 miles/dollar

Usually, recurring bills don't get a lot of miles so I have changed all my recurring bill to online payment to get more miles

machineblue Nov 17, 14 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 23857098)
If your school accepts amex, u can use one of the prepaid card to charge which can be top up with DBS cards for 4 miles/dollar

Usually, recurring bills don't get a lot of miles so I have changed all my recurring bill to online payment to get more miles

The school does accept Amex, Visa and MasterCard. The payments aren't recurring, but lump sums every 6 months. The school in conjunction with DBS does offer a 6 month payment plan, but DBS specifically exempts this plan from their point accumulation. As for the DBS amex, i haven't seen any card that accumulates at 4miles/dollar. At most it is 3miles/GSD overseas spend. I know the DBS Womans card accumulates 10x DBS points for online purchases, but i would guess that the school payment isn't processed as an online purchase.

tboons Nov 17, 14 7:08 pm

U can get Amex imagine prepaid card. Top up the amex card using DBS woman card. U can top up 1000 for the maximum amount inside the card

U can top up 1000 and credit them to the school twice a month to maximize the 2000 limit. If you and your wife apply tog, you will get 4000 to spend.

I have a friend who would use these cards and prepaid into account to let the organisation deduct every month.

tboons Nov 17, 14 7:09 pm

For one off payment, apply Amex Ascend card and pay the annual fees. It will come up for 4miles/dollar if you hit the maximum expenditure.

machineblue Nov 17, 14 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 23857204)
U can get Amex imagine prepaid card. Top up the amex card using DBS woman card. U can top up 1000 for the maximum amount inside the card

U can top up 1000 and credit them to the school twice a month to maximize the 2000 limit. If you and your wife apply tog, you will get 4000 to spend.

I have a friend who would use these cards and prepaid into account to let the organisation deduct every month.

I like that plan, however our school is very inflexible with the payment schedule. Unfortunately the two payments are significantly larger than 4K SGD. This is definitely a great way to pay for incidentals during the month at a high earn rate.

machineblue Nov 17, 14 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 23857211)
For one off payment, apply Amex Ascend card and pay the annual fees. It will come up for 4miles/dollar if you hit the maximum expenditure.

The Ascend miles go directly into KF FF account correct? The nice thing about other cards, i.e.. citi or DBS is that their points sit in their program indefinitely until we transfer them out to KF. I don't want a ton of KF miles sitting in our KF acct with the clock ticking, unless the earn makes it too compelling to avoid.

Edit: After looking more closely at the KF Ascend card and adding up all the bonus miles plus the sign up bonus miles, it tops out at around 2KF/SGD. Incidentally, the CITI Premier AMEX and the ascend both have a similar earn rate of around 1.4 KF/SGD (not including any sign up bonus miles). The odd thing to me is that the CITI AMEX has a better earn for flights booked on SQ at 2.5KF/SGD than the KF branded Ascend card.

Also, is there a good rule of thumb when trying to figure out credit limits for these cards in terms of X/monthly salary? The only thing i have seen are the maximums of something like 4x monthly salary or 100k.

lcpteck Nov 17, 14 11:46 pm

Welcome to Singapore in advance!

Welcome welcome machineblue!

Credit limit is still determined by the bank, there isn't any hard rule on this.

I suggest you should bring some of your US CCs over as there are probably some with no foreign transaction fee? Unfortunately in Singapore, all CCs have foreign transaction fees if you're gonna be using outside of Singapore.

Do note that majority of the CCs in Singapore can only credit to SQ KF or CX AM. Only a handful like Amex-issued CCs and Citibank CCs can credit to a little more FFPs.

Unfortunately for us all, SQ FFP is difficult to accumulate miles by flying. The discounted fares only earns 10% of the mileage. The more expensive and full fares would earn 50-100%. The only feasible way for us to earn is via CC spending.

Anyways I mainly fly discounted MH fares since I only travel for leisure.

planetshakers Nov 18, 14 1:32 am

Originally Posted by machineblue (Post 23857269)
I like that plan, however our school is very inflexible with the payment schedule. Unfortunately the two payments are significantly larger than 4K SGD. This is definitely a great way to pay for incidentals during the month at a high earn rate.

You get can get 8 of these AMEX prepaids.

Use 2x DBS Woman to top up 2k x 2 = 4x prepaid AMEX each month

Next month, Use 2x DBS Woman to top up 2k x 2 = another 4x prepaid AMEX.

Go to school and pay 1k each + any balance using the AMEX prepaid.