FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

jagmeets Nov 8, 14 12:48 pm

one could argue that pretending to stay away, and getting the boss active on here would augur well for the future!!

carrotjuice Nov 8, 14 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 23810358)
No kids yet, but,

Drat!!

I'd been hoping that having seen the benefits of 'optimization' (largely CX related in our case, and that's a part of the reason for avoiding SQ), the boss would have absolutely no issues whatsoever with any hare-brained strategies that I came up with! She's been awesomely unedrstanding so far - finger's crossed!

Wait till the kid(s) come along and boss may be less than understanding when it's her alone contending with screaming infant and/or terrible toddler who refuses to sit still... while hubby is sipping champagne blissfully unaware in a different flight!

carrotjuice Nov 8, 14 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23810956)
This is bad, we should all stay away from this forum...

Oh wait, I'm still single... I should stay away from this forum..

When you eventually do give up your singlehood, make sure you "infect" your would-be spouse first. Or put acceptance of your "condition" as a term in your pre-nup.

lcpteck Nov 8, 14 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 23812834)
When you eventually do give up your singlehood, make sure you "infect" your would-be spouse first. Or put acceptance of your "condition" as a term in your pre-nup.

Hmm, maybe find a gf/wife that likes to travel as well...

aster Nov 8, 14 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 23810082)
We're so alike! As a family, we've split flights too several times in the past - much to the chagrin of my spouse who very much prefer that we fly together as a family.

In fact I'm having a hard time now trying to plan the next family holiday, whether spouse should take children on one airline's redemption tickets, while I originate from a different city on a purchased ticket purely to accumulate tier points for next year's qualification.

It's a disease!!

Fly with these airlines and credit to Velocity:
http://www.velocityfrequentflyer.com...ners/index.htm

They even allow you to pool status credits! ^

Giving it a go next week with a family trip (x4 pax) on Etihad. Never flown with them before so hope it's a decent experience. :)

vsepr Nov 8, 14 11:37 pm

I'm glad I made the switch to UOB suite of cards in end June 2014: UOB PP VISA, PP AMEX and PRVI Miles.

8th Nov 14 statement out today.

Total spending from all 3 cards: S$1421.90.

Total amount from all 3 cards wasted due to S$5 rounding off: S$41.90

Total UNI$ earned from all 3 cards (4x to 10x): 1930 = 3860 miles

That's S$1 = 2.7146 miles!! Almost 2x that of ANZ Travel card!!

If all S$1421.90 is charged to ANZ Travel card, I earn 1990 miles only, 93.96% less.

But have to wait almost 3 months to create that 5,000 UNI$ block to transfer to KF or AM.

lcpteck Nov 9, 14 12:09 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23813481)
I'm glad I made the switch to UOB suite of cards in end June 2014: UOB PP VISA, PP AMEX and PRVI Miles.

If all S$1421.90 is charged to ANZ Travel card, I earn 1990 miles only, 93.96% less.

But have to wait almost 3 months to create that 5,000 UNI$ block to transfer to KF or AM.

Ah so you're no longer promoting ANZ I see. :p

Well, all CCs have their uses, good and bad. Just have to be careful of UOB's specific spending requirements, they can change anytime. I do a checkup on my points once a week to see if there's any discrepancies.

demue Nov 9, 14 3:09 am

Did anyone buy from Challenger or Courts online and get 10Uni$ with UOB PPV? If not I guess 1.4mls on my Citi PM Amex will be it. Thanks.

lcpteck Nov 9, 14 3:36 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 23813837)
Did anyone buy from Challenger or Courts online and get 10Uni$ with UOB PPV? If not I guess 1.4mls on my Citi PM Amex will be it. Thanks.

I wonder what merchant category does Courts fall under. Challenger should as reported. If anybody tried Courts, please update spreadsheet, thanks.

demue Nov 9, 14 6:37 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23813890)
I wonder what merchant category does Courts fall under. Challenger should as reported. If anybody tried Courts, please update spreadsheet, thanks.

Thanks, if Challenger online works then I'll go with that one. Can link via Krisflyer Spree for an extra few miles. There is also a link for Courts online and one would hope it counts accordingly as online store, but if they process all like an in store purchase then maybe not.

aster Nov 9, 14 12:28 pm

Interesting. With that spend you have no excuse not to be making 4 miles/$. You should be sitting on 5,684 miles, not just 3,860. Sticking to UOB only is where you went wrong and wasted quite a bit of mileage accrual potential... :)

Just a single DBS card would have made your current UOB setup look EXTREMELY poor in comparison...

jagmeets Nov 9, 14 8:32 pm

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

But if the spend isn't online, is there a way of avoiding the FEVO topup fee using the DBS WMC?
I find myself moving away from FEVO of late- have usually had enough spend online which goes to DBS (with some promotion specific exceptions) and the remaining going to UOB...

SQ319 Nov 9, 14 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23813543)
Ah so you're no longer promoting ANZ I see. :p

Well, all CCs have their uses, good and bad. Just have to be careful of UOB's specific spending requirements, they can change anytime. I do a checkup on my points once a week to see if there's any discrepancies.

This made me laugh out loud. I seriously though vespr was an ANZ employee...

aster Nov 9, 14 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 23817219)
But if the spend isn't online, is there a way of avoiding the FEVO topup fee using the DBS WMC?

Nope. But overall I think that a mix of Fevo and Imagine topups could have been done at no cost overall. Some of the spend mentioned could have been done with the Imagine Amex, which can be topped up without any fees. And that card also has a 5% rebate on the first $100 spent each month, so that alone (from each Imagine card) would cover the costs of a $500 Fevo topup...

lsed Nov 10, 14 1:06 am

I thought something was wrong with my eyes! Vsepr no longer hawking the ANZ card?! :p