FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

bluepanda Oct 31, 14 3:24 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 23766746)
So I booked a hotel online using the expedia.com.sg website and paid S$107.83 "all prices quoted in Singapore dollars". When the credit card bill arrived it was shown as a charge of S$110.53. So no explanation and $2.70 added...

Spoke to Expedia who confirmed they had billed in S$107.83 so then called the bank (ANZ) who said they have added a cross border charge "as its not a singapore merchant.." even though the website lists a Singapore address and has a Singapore business reg number..

Have to say this cross border bollocks really gives me the sh*ts. Anybody know if its only ANZ that somehow charges this fee for Singapore travel merchants or would DBS, Citibank all do the same thing in this instance.?

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 23766862)
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=11968

See the list of cross border merchants in the bottom of post #1. I've just added Expedia.com.hk on [email protected]'s behest - it bills from France. Dunno about Expedia.com.sg but won't surprise me if it also did.

The fee is 2.5%??!! So high, this seems to be ANZ AU levels!
We only get charged 0.8% in HK and we're already up in arms about it.

I just booked with Expedia.com.sg a few days ago using my Citibank card. The sms from Citibank shows SGDxx.xx by TRAVEL RESERVATION PARIS FRA. In Citibank internet banking, the amount charged is exactly the same, and it shows the merchant as Expedia SG.

percysmith Oct 31, 14 3:35 am

Bluepanda, what did you book at expedia.com.sg?

I booked a pair of one-way VN air tickets at expedia.com.hk. To my surprise Vietnam Airlines directly billed me (Vietnam Air HK).

bluepanda Oct 31, 14 4:03 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 23767569)
Bluepanda, what did you book at expedia.com.sg?

I booked a pair of one-way VN air tickets at expedia.com.hk. To my surprise Vietnam Airlines directly billed me (Vietnam Air HK).

Hotel in SFO.

percysmith Oct 31, 14 4:11 am

Funny. Groupon HK flip switches between CH and HK

Expedia is another flip switch payee...roll of dice.

cmdsea Oct 31, 14 4:48 am

Originally Posted by bluepanda (Post 23767548)
I just booked with Expedia.com.sg a few days ago using my Citibank card. The sms from Citibank shows SGDxx.xx by TRAVEL RESERVATION PARIS FRA. In Citibank internet banking, the amount charged is exactly the same, and it shows the merchant as Expedia SG.

Ok. Thats interesting.. Lesson learned and will try and remember to use my premier miles card next time

aster Oct 31, 14 5:58 am

Have to say this cross border bollocks really gives me the sh*ts.

This should be done at the legislative level. Ban this nonsense charge, stop the "let's convert to USD first so we can rip-off our customers twice" approach, whack banks with tight spreads for foreign transactions (same tight spreads on visitors' ATM withdrawals conducted in the home currency), force Visa/MC to implement a hard-block on DCC at cardholder's request, etc.

Before anyone asks - yes, I do realise the less banks "steal" the less miles they are likely to give out. :)

lcpteck Oct 31, 14 6:55 am

Originally Posted by bluepanda (Post 23767548)

Same here, what is shown on Expedia.com.sg is charged accordingly to my Citibank and DBS CCs. I booked a couple of flights for myself and 1 hotel for my dad.

lcpteck Oct 31, 14 7:06 am

Wikipost created so we can track promotions.

Fantastic promo from Citibank I must say.

tboons Oct 31, 14 7:31 am

Ah I didn't know that there is no 6x points via Expedia for air asia!!! Damn it. Wasted my points! :-(

percysmith Oct 31, 14 7:41 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 23767743)
Ok. Thats interesting.. Lesson learned and will try and remember to use my premier miles card next time

Just to clarify this is Premiermiles Amex? Cos at least on paper Premiermiles Visa attracts the fee http://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/fees_charge.html

percysmith Oct 31, 14 8:12 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 23767906)
This should be done at the legislative level. Ban this nonsense charge, stop the "let's convert to USD first so we can rip-off our customers twice" approach

AFAIK only Amex does this. We in HK don't really feel the impact here cos we have peg here and spreads are super thin. However we do suffer from Amex cherry picking worse rate over 5 days prior to post date, and our regulators will do nothing to stop them.

whack banks with tight spreads for foreign transactions (same tight spreads on visitors' ATM withdrawals conducted in the home currency),

In theory Plus/Cirrus use the same rates as your Visa/MasterCard credit cards.

Unfortunately SGD has a pretty big spread. I'm sorry but I think this is determined at the wholesale level.

force Visa/MC to implement a hard-block on DCC at cardholder's request, etc.

Not going to happen. Regulators like ACCC see DCC as "legitimate" forex competition (in that they sued Visa Australia to make them allow more of it). If banks are allowed to opt out of DCC for cardholders they'll do it for *all* of them, without asking and without recourse!

Before anyone asks - yes, I do realise the less banks "steal" the less miles they are likely to give out. :)

Yes but I want to cut down on pure theft (DCC, Amex cherry picking) and reduce bank margins (cross border fee, more competition on earn rates).

lcpteck Oct 31, 14 8:15 am

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 23768207)
Ah I didn't know that there is no 6x points via Expedia for air asia!!! Damn it. Wasted my points! :-(

That is correct, look before you leap. ;)

fuschia Oct 31, 14 9:15 am

So I booked a hotel online using the expedia.com.sg website and paid S$107.83 "all prices quoted in Singapore dollars". When the credit card bill arrived it was shown as a charge of S$110.53. So no explanation and $2.70 added...

Spoke to Expedia who confirmed they had billed in S$107.83 so then called the bank (ANZ) who said they have added a cross border charge "as its not a singapore merchant.." even though the website lists a Singapore address and has a Singapore business reg number..

Have to say this cross border bollocks really gives me the sh*ts. Anybody know if its only ANZ that somehow charges this fee for Singapore travel merchants or would DBS, Citibank all do the same thing in this instance.?

I booked hotel via expedia sg twice using citibank card. Both times i was charged exactly the sgd amount shown during booking.

SQueeze Oct 31, 14 11:39 am

These Citibank XP and Agoda promos are superb.
Haven't really made full use of it because I remember in August when I checked it, they slapped a surcharge of 300 bucks on SQ tickets so thought not going to use it much.

Only recently I checked again, and great, it's offering exactly the same fares as booking online with SQ.

So migrating to XP now and just purchased the first business class ticket today for a whopping 24K miles in return :D much more miles than the actual flight will give me.

Am only apprehensive about making changes since I need the flexibility. Usually OTA is a pain to deal with when making changes. But I made a trip to Ion this afternoon and they said they can also change on behalf but with a fee of SGD 65. Any experience on making changes to SQ tickets issued by XP.com?

aster Oct 31, 14 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 23768354)
Unfortunately SGD has a pretty big spread. I'm sorry but I think this is determined at the wholesale level.

I think there's definitely more to it as in the beginning this was actually a much better rate than having MC do the conversion. And then suddenly things went south and the rate used to do the withdrawal in one's home currency turned into daylight robbery basically.

You won't find the same, rip-off rate anywhere else at the bank. Not for currency transactions, not for anything. It's basically an attempt to rob the tourist in broad daylight as the assumption people make is that it must be a better rate when in fact it's a local Singaporean banking scam, plain and simple.