FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

aster Oct 26, 2014 10:25 pm

Does anyone have the HSBC Revolution Visa? Are we looking at 2 miles/$ for all online spend? :)

They say it's 5x points for all online spend, but in the T&Cs they use the following explanation:

---
Eligible Cardholders are entitled to earn 5x Rewards Points (every S$1 charged = 5 HSBC Rewards points) when they make Qualifying Transactions with their HSBC Revolution credit card at all merchants locally that have their main business activities classified as Online, Entertainment or Dining merchants. Main business activity of a merchant is determined by the business classification of that merchant outlet which in turn is determined by that merchant's acquiring bank.
---

So only those purchases where the merchant's main business is classified as online will count? Where do we stand with topping up... *ahem*... Imagine/Fevo cards? :)

lcpteck Oct 26, 2014 11:40 pm

I signed up that card recently for the 10k points and 1 American Tourister luggage promo. Not sure about the online use.

Currently using it as a backup card of my backup card for Dining and Cafe.

planetshakers Oct 27, 2014 1:41 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 23741052)
Does anyone have the HSBC Revolution Visa? Are we looking at 2 miles/$ for all online spend? :)

They say it's 5x points for all online spend, but in the T&Cs they use the following explanation:

---
Eligible Cardholders are entitled to earn 5x Rewards Points (every S$1 charged = 5 HSBC Rewards points) when they make Qualifying Transactions with their HSBC Revolution credit card at all merchants locally that have their main business activities classified as Online, Entertainment or Dining merchants. Main business activity of a merchant is determined by the business classification of that merchant outlet which in turn is determined by that merchant's acquiring bank.
---

So only those purchases where the merchant's main business is classified as online will count? Where do we stand with topping up... *ahem*... Imagine/Fevo cards? :)

So far 5x for all Imagine / EZlink online topup :)

I am applying for HSBC Advance platinum which will give 10x online...report back soon :)

lcpteck Oct 27, 2014 3:43 am

Originally Posted by planetshakers (Post 23741472)
I am applying for HSBC Advance platinum which will give 10x online...report back soon :)

This card looks like a better deal than the Revolution but needs a S$30k deposit to open the HSBC Advance Account. Oh well..

aster Oct 27, 2014 5:16 am

I think you can have paid-for Advance status.

What's interesting is that this Advance card seems to be much more generous than the Premier one, which is a higher status with HSBC. I wonder if Premier status-holders would be allowed to have the Advance card if they actually insisted on it? :)

saerogenta13 Oct 27, 2014 6:52 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 23738322)
I assume your wedding reception is abroad as I think the 3 miles promo is only for overseas spend. UOB Visa Signature also has an ongoing promotion for overseas spend @ 4 miles per S$ but capped (Cardmembers will earn UNI$10 for every S$5 spent on transactions in foreign currenciesCardmembers can earn a maximum of UNI$4,000 for spend in foreign currencies (including online transactions in foreign currencies), petrol and with Visa payWave, per statement period, should they qualify), and as you probably know, UOB AMEX Privi earns 2.5 miles per S$ for overseas spend, although the foreign currency charge for AMEX is 3.25% versus 2.5% (?) for visa

It's held in Singapore actually, apologies I missed the part about overseas spend..

saerogenta13 Oct 27, 2014 6:57 am

Originally Posted by chongsss (Post 23740544)
Do you all already have KrisFlyer Ascend Amex and Amex Rewards?

If you don't mind paying the annual fee of S$256.80, you can get 35,000 bonus KrisFlyer miles if you charge S$10,000 within the first 3 months of card approval.

Thus, you get a total of 43,333 KrisFlyer miles (spending S$10,000 get 8,333 KF miles) on an outlay of S$10,256.80.

You can consider getting Amex Rewards as well. Spend S$1,500 within 3 months of approval and get bonus 21,000 Membership Reward points.

You will get 24,000 Membership Reward points with a S$1,500 spend, which can be converted to 13,333 KrisFlyer miles.

If your wife-to-be can apply for them too, that will cover S$23,000.

Thanks for that, the ascend card sounds like the card to do the trick

SingaporeDon Oct 27, 2014 9:00 am

Originally Posted by saerogenta13 (Post 23742363)
Thanks for that, the ascend card sounds like the card to do the trick

When I got the Singapore Airlines AMEX Ascend, they also had a promotional gift (Samsonite bag?) and they had extra bonus miles on spend. So do check their current promo and talk to them - they offer different promos on the phone at times

demue Oct 29, 2014 5:30 am

I cancelled my KF Gold Amex in Feb and was waiting to apply for Ascend. How are your experiences with previous KF CC holders getting the full bonus and all? I heard some stories where people were told they would not get it and some where it still worked?

It's not urgent and worst case I wait until 12 months period is over, but without the bonus it is a no go. Thanks.

carrotjuice Oct 29, 2014 7:19 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 23755021)
I cancelled my KF Gold Amex in Feb and was waiting to apply for Ascend. How are your experiences with previous KF CC holders getting the full bonus and all? I heard some stories where people were told they would not get it and some where it still worked?

It's not urgent and worst case I wait until 12 months period is over, but without the bonus it is a no go. Thanks.

Would be interested to find out about other peoples' experience too.

I was previously told by Amex customer service that if your KF number (not NRIC) has been given sign-up miles via KF Gold Amex previously, then you wouldn't get the sign-up miles for KF Ascend. But like you I heard that people have received the sign-up miles for both in succession, though unsure how updated this news is.

Marsy Oct 29, 2014 10:33 pm

Enjoy up to 8 Citi Miles per S$1 Spend on Agoda.com

http://www.citibank.com.sg/global_do...EMOWNSGPAUENEC

This is massive :)
I usually book directly with hotel to earn status, sometimes on hotels.com to collect the welcome reward nights. How is the return itself on Agoda?

planetshakers Oct 30, 2014 12:50 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23741775)
This card looks like a better deal than the Revolution but needs a S$30k deposit to open the HSBC Advance Account. Oh well..

An alternative is to credit your salary to HSBC advance account, min of SGD$3750 per month by salary credit is needed. After that, withdraw it out.

No need $30k FD.

fuschia Oct 30, 2014 5:24 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23735622)
I made a AXS bill payment at on 25 Oct 2014, charge posted 26 Oct 2014, no CitiMiles awarded. I think Citibank has really stopped issuing rewards for AXS bill payments this time.

Enjoy while it lasted.

cmdsea Oct 30, 2014 8:50 pm

So I booked a hotel online using the expedia.com.sg website and paid S$107.83 "all prices quoted in Singapore dollars". When the credit card bill arrived it was shown as a charge of S$110.53. So no explanation and $2.70 added...

Spoke to Expedia who confirmed they had billed in S$107.83 so then called the bank (ANZ) who said they have added a cross border charge "as its not a singapore merchant.." even though the website lists a Singapore address and has a Singapore business reg number..

Have to say this cross border bollocks really gives me the sh*ts. Anybody know if its only ANZ that somehow charges this fee for Singapore travel merchants or would DBS, Citibank all do the same thing in this instance.?

percysmith Oct 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 23766746)
So I booked a hotel online using the expedia.com.sg website and paid S$107.83 "all prices quoted in Singapore dollars". When the credit card bill arrived it was shown as a charge of S$110.53. So no explanation and $2.70 added...

Spoke to Expedia who confirmed they had billed in S$107.83 so then called the bank (ANZ) who said they have added a cross border charge "as its not a singapore merchant.." even though the website lists a Singapore address and has a Singapore business reg number..

Have to say this cross border bollocks really gives me the sh*ts. Anybody know if its only ANZ that somehow charges this fee for Singapore travel merchants or would DBS, Citibank all do the same thing in this instance.?

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=11968

See the list of cross border merchants in the bottom of post #1. I've just added Expedia.com.hk on theworld@FT's behest - it bills from France. Dunno about Expedia.com.sg but won't surprise me if it also did.

The fee is 2.5%??!! So high, this seems to be ANZ AU levels!
We only get charged 0.8% in HK and we're already up in arms about it.