FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lcpteck Oct 14, 14 2:06 am

RI Membership Eligibility

As seen on HWZ:

RI Membership Eligibility

Simply charge S$24,000 to your Maybank Credit Card1 in the preceding year to become an RI member or to renew your RI membership.

(Cards that currently enjoy complimentary RI membership without this card-spend criteria include Maybank Visa Infinite, Maybank Catholic High Alumni Platinum Associates, Maybank World MasterCard, Maybank Premier Platinum MasterCard).

Maybank World MasterCard is now excluded from the spend requirement.

SQueeze Oct 16, 14 11:02 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 23659822)
Reading the T&Cs I guess if one missed spending 2K in Sep on the card then one would not meet the promo criteria as it says "each" month. So won't be able to leverage it for my upcoming overseas trips. Oh well, you gain some you loose / miss out on some. :)

I just called DBS.

The particular agent said that it is evaluated monthly.
So if i didn't qualify in September, I can qualify in other months as long as the minimum spend is met within each of the month.

aster Oct 16, 14 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 23669944)
Is that done from the DBS web site? Is it possible to make one-off SP payments onilne using a CC or can that only be done at their offices?

Anyone know whether it's possible to pay for SP (electricity) online using a CC as a simple bill payment (and not recurring auto-payment)?

mingster23 Oct 16, 14 6:40 pm

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

Not as far as I know. I used to pay on an AXS machine till DBS stopped giving points. Now I make a monthly trip to the SPSP office in Somerset. Not too bad, the carpark gives 15 mins grace and you're in and out within no time on a Saturday morning.

dickson_g Oct 16, 14 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 23687628)
Anyone know whether it's possible to pay for SP (electricity) online using a CC as a simple bill payment (and not recurring auto-payment)?

Use DBS Internet banking. On the website, choose "Payment" and select "SP Power" as the vendor. Key in your PUB account number and under "Pay From", select "DBS Credit card".

However, note that this falls under "bill payment transaction" and will not earn any points. Just like AXS payment. So this is merely an administrative convenience.

The only way to earn points will be to make a payment in person at SP Power's office in Somerset using your credit card.

vsepr Oct 16, 14 9:32 pm

Btw, Citibank still awards CitiMiles/Citidollars for AXS bill payments even though it is stated that wef 01 July 2014, no points will be awarded. The last time I made payment at AXS machines was 25 Sept 2014 for Great Eastern Insurance.

Cannot pay SP Services bill with Citibank cards at AXS machines...too bad.

planetshakers Oct 16, 14 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 23687628)

Use Nets Flashpay Enabled CC at Nets flashpay machine.

cmdsea Oct 17, 14 12:21 am

Originally Posted by mingster23 (Post 23689409)
Now I make a monthly trip to the SPSP office in Somerset.

They will let you pay current month and pre-pay 2 more months estimated so actually only need to make the trip every quarter, not every month...

aster Oct 17, 14 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 23690480)
They will let you pay current month and pre-pay 2 more months estimated so actually only need to make the trip every quarter, not every month...

Interesting. So they won't just bill according to the slip you give them and will allow to pay more?

percysmith Oct 17, 14 2:37 pm

Prepay 2 months only?

Last December I prepaid 3 quarters of HK electric, towngas, water services, government rates and rent because ICBC Asia in HK was silly enough to put out a 10% cash back offer that included online bill payment from their online banking website.

I heard an urban legend that when HSBC HK started offering points on tax payment thru HSBC online banking, some freak bill paid HK$24 million salary taxes and had the gall to ask IRD (HK IRAS) for a refund cheque (not sure if one bullet refund or multiple payments and refunds), earning 2 million free miles in the process. IRD caught on and wrote HSBC, and made refunds much more difficult.

cmdsea Oct 17, 14 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 23693617)
Prepay 2 months only?

Last December I prepaid 3 quarters of HK electric, towngas, water services, government rates and rent because ICBC Asia in HK was silly enough to put out a 10% cash back offer that included online bill payment from their online banking website.

I heard an urban legend that when HSBC HK started offering points on tax payment thru HSBC online banking, some freak bill paid HK$24 million salary taxes and had the gall to ask IRD (HK IRAS) for a refund cheque (not sure if one bullet refund or multiple payments and refunds), earning 2 million free miles in the process. IRD caught on and wrote HSBC, and made refunds much more difficult.

Not quite in the same league but until they canned it this time last year, I used to make my company quarterly GST payment on my credit card via AXS. Used to take me 2 weeks of daily payments at the maximum daily limit.... Sigh, got very used to Suites courtesy of DBS ;)

vsepr Oct 18, 14 6:41 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23667127)
Worth paying the $200 annual fee in 2014 because of the 5% rebates from grocery and EZ-link. I got more than $300 in rebates. Like returning ANZ the rebates to exchange for more miles. No more 5% rebates from 01 Sept 2014, so not worth it anymore.

It's like 11x points for paying the $200 annual fee if you got back >$200 in 5% cash rebates.

For $200 cash rebate you need to spend $4000 (200 divide by 0.05) in for grocery or EZ-link and earn 5600 Travel$.

If you decide to pay the $200 annual fee and take it that you return ANZ the $200 cashback, you get 12,000 Travel$. (For annual fee charged before 01 October 2014. If charged from 01 Oct 2014 onwards get 10,000 Travel$)

Total Travel$ for the $4000 you spend: 17,600.

Hence S$1 = 4.4 Travel$!! 11x points!!:D

aster Oct 18, 14 8:29 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 23693617)

Interesting. Did they try to recoup their CC fees for that payment or does HSBC/CC company waive their cut for such gov't payments? :)

percysmith Oct 18, 14 9:16 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 23696346)
Interesting. Did they try to recoup their CC fees for that payment or does HSBC/CC company waive their cut for such gov't payments? :)

Banks here earn nothing for providing IRD bill payment to customers. Banks do it as low risk lending and hoping u'll fall behind on payments down the road.

Because there is no fees earned most banks don't credit points/rebates for tax payment. We have to use two cards to earn any form of reward now Wacko earn strategy

I'm not sure what eventually happened to that 24m guy. IRD made refunds much more difficult to discourage refunds, tho there's theoretically nothing wrong with overpaying the IRD and assuring the assessor you want the overpayment to be applied against your future assessments. HSBC for its part stopped giving out bonus points for tax payments (though if you see the Wacko earn strategy there is still a way to earn bonus points from HSBC through indirect payment) and includes a warning it will claw back any points earned from payments not settling genuine liabilities.

aster Oct 18, 14 12:12 pm

Man, you have it all figured out over in HK. :) Sure you don't want to move to Singapore? I'm sure you would quickly figure out how to improve even our current (and quite efficient) methods of "miles extraction." :)