FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

luv_flying Oct 12, 14 8:44 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23659528)
My annual fee for ANZ Travel card was charged on 9 Aug 2014 and I paid the $200 annual fee. The 12,000 bonus Travel$ is in on 9 Oct 2014. Have to wait exactly 2 months!!! Not going to pay for 2015 onwards because not worth since dropped to 10,000 Travel$ only.

I heard DBS Altitude cards need to wait 3 months.

Anyway, Citi PM is best. 10,000 bonus CitiMiles in once the annual fee is charged.

is only $8 more than Citibank Premiermiles. Pay lah lol

aster Oct 12, 14 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 23664130)
can I ask, why would you use this card compared to ANZ Visa ?

I think the best way to explain this would be in cartoon terms...

DBS website: The Jetsons

ANZ website: The Flintstones :)

lcpteck Oct 12, 14 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 23664185)
At present, UOB Signature Visa has a better deal on foreign spend - 4X miles, but capped at S$2,000 foreign spend per month.

Also, Visa charges 2.5% versus 3.25% charged by AMEX for foreign currency transactions.

subject to a minimum foreign currencies spend of S$1,000 per statement period. Online transactions in Singapore Dollars or in foreign currencies at merchants with payment gateway in Singapore will earn UNI$1 for every S$5 spent. Cardmembers will also earn UNI$10 for every S$5 spent on petrol (except at Caltex, which is a SMART$ merchant) and Visa payWave transactions, which is equivalent to 5% cash rebate, subject to a minimum local spend of S$1,000 in total, per statement period. Cardmembers can earn a maximum of UNI$4,000 for spend in foreign currencies (including online transactions in foreign currencies), petrol and with Visa payWave, per statement period,

http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...ml#cash-rebate

I just don't want to deal with DCC issues and keeping track of minimum spending. The free Limousine ride is nice too if I do hit the S$500 threshold.

carrotjuice Oct 12, 14 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23666605)
I just don't want to deal with DCC issues and keeping track of minimum spending.

Indeed. Any card that subjects to monthly minimum spending of different guises is too complex for me and immediately pushed aside.

vsepr Oct 12, 14 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by luv_flying (Post 23664612)
is only $8 more than Citibank Premiermiles. Pay lah lol

Worth paying the $200 annual fee in 2014 because of the 5% rebates from grocery and EZ-link. I got more than $300 in rebates. Like returning ANZ the rebates to exchange for more miles. No more 5% rebates from 01 Sept 2014, so not worth it anymore.

Volasia Oct 12, 14 11:23 pm

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

ANZ still gives you 1.4 miles on all transactions... And unlimited lounge visits

jagmeets Oct 13, 14 1:56 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23666605)
The free Limousine ride is nice too if I do hit the S$500 threshold.

+1

Just looking back, I've already used this 15+ times this year, and mostly at times when a cab ride would cost a pretty penny (booking, esp Friday evenings when it used to be an advance booking/peak/cbd surcharges).

demue Oct 13, 14 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 23664130)
can I ask, why would you use this card compared to ANZ Visa ?

For starters I don't have the ANZ Visa. Their service makes even DBS or UOB look good, but YMMV.

The Altitude Visa is a leftover from the days when one could pay income tax via AXS with that card and earn miles. Now I mostly only get the miles from paying for the renewal and use it to auto-pay my SP Power as it is one of the few cards that allows that linkage and earns 1.2mls/4 which is better for me than trekking to the SP Power office and paying there in person. That's mostly it.

demue Oct 13, 14 5:50 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 23666696)
Indeed. Any card that subjects to monthly minimum spending of different guises is too complex for me and immediately pushed aside.

+1. Can't be bothered. You can't win them all :D

demue Oct 13, 14 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 23667695)
ANZ still gives you 1.4 miles on all transactions... And unlimited lounge visits

I get 1.4mls locally on my Citi PM Amex too (yes it is an Amex - I know :)) and it works for the majority of the purchases I do that don't get better earnings via other cards I hold. Again, it depends what you have in your wallet already. The lounge visits for ANZ are in SIN right (?) so not that interesting to me as I got that covered through airline status.

Nothing wrong with ANZ Visa (other than website and spotty service center) - don't panic ;)

lcpteck Oct 13, 14 6:22 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 23668494)
The lounge visits for ANZ are in SIN right (?) so not that interesting to me as I got that covered through airline status.

The Lounge partner is Veloce Lounges, very limited presence in Asia. So far I've only used it at SIN, KUL, and BKK.

Yeah if you have Airline status then Lounge access isn't an issue. More for leisure travelers I guess.

SQueeze Oct 13, 14 6:26 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23668558)
The Lounge partner is Veloce Lounges, very limited presence in Asia. So far I've only used it at SIN, KUL, and BKK.

Yeah if you have Airline status then Lounge access isn't an issue. More for leisure travelers I guess.

I thought the coverage in Asia is pretty good.
I have used it in SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CGK.

lcpteck Oct 13, 14 7:00 am

Originally Posted by SQueeze (Post 23668569)
I thought the coverage in Asia is pretty good.
I have used it in SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CGK.

Sorry, should have rephrased. Zero coverage in China (besides HKG). No coverage in South Korea as well. Luckily I still have my limited use Priority Passes. ;)

Here's the current list, hope they expand.

aster Oct 13, 14 11:29 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 23668478)
The Altitude Visa is a leftover from the days when one could pay income tax via AXS with that card and earn miles. Now I mostly only get the miles from paying for the renewal and use it to auto-pay my SP Power as it is one of the few cards that allows that linkage and earns 1.2mls/4 which is better for me than trekking to the SP Power office and paying there in person. That's mostly it.

Is that done from the DBS web site? Is it possible to make one-off SP payments onilne using a CC or can that only be done at their offices?

demue Oct 13, 14 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 23669944)
Is that done from the DBS web site? Is it possible to make one-off SP payments online using a CC or can that only be done at their offices?

One time my understanding is that it can only be done in person at their service centers, but you can use any Visa or MasterCard IIRC. For monthly auto charges you can fill in the paper form DBS provides and a few weeks later it will kick in. I'm doing the later.