FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lcpteck Oct 9, 14 10:51 pm

As reported by numerous peeps, direct bookings with hotel chains does not seem to get processed online so you most likely will not get the bonus points/miles (even for advanced purchased rates). For Online Travel Agencies though, they are processed online (If paid at time of booking).

Do refer to my signature for the useful spreadsheet, it is your life saver for SIN-Based CCs.

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle... G.I.Joe!" :D

percysmith Oct 9, 14 11:08 pm

feizhu and lcpteck: your posts are consistent with our understanding from HK for online transaction promos also.

Generally if limit gets drawn down immediately after online transaction, yes. If not, no. And direct booking with a hotel chain does *not* usually result in immediate drawdown, even if non-cancellable rate.

Hotels.com does result in immediate drawdown
As does Apple Online Store, even tho the transaction date is the date they actually dispatch the goods.

BryanHuang Oct 10, 14 12:32 am

@tboons thank you for that! Will use WWMC for AirBnB

@lcpteck awesome spreadsheet! So useful! Will pm you if I have any updates on expenditure that isn't on your sheet

So am I right to say for my accommodation (hotel chain direct) bookings it is best to book using a card that rewards the best Overseas spend? Would that be UOB PRVI Miles Amex? Would the Amex overseas cost be worth it or what cards would you recommend (both Amex n non Amex).

Also does expenditure at NTUC qualify for 10x UNI for paywave? (did not notice NTUC on @lcpteck 's comprehensive excel sheet but will be updating that soon!)

If spend more than $2,000/month on flights (which I will be solely diverting to WWMC) what will be the next best card for online purchases of flights?

lcpteck Oct 10, 14 3:32 am


Originally Posted by BryanHuang (Post 23654602)
@lcpteck awesome spreadsheet! So useful! Will pm you if I have any updates on expenditure that isn't on your sheet

Hehe, it's not necessary, the spreadsheet was open for editing a long time ago. You can edit/add new information (be careful and not delete or mess up the format.)


Originally Posted by BryanHuang (Post 23654602)
So am I right to say for my accommodation (hotel chain direct) bookings it is best to book using a card that rewards the best Overseas spend? Would that be UOB PRVI Miles Amex? Would the Amex overseas cost be worth it or what cards would you recommend (both Amex n non Amex).

I use UOB PRVI Miles Amex as my main expenditure card when overseas. It earns 2.5 miles/S$ and also it is not prone to DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion).


Originally Posted by BryanHuang (Post 23654602)
Also does expenditure at NTUC qualify for 10x UNI for paywave? (did not notice NTUC on @lcpteck 's comprehensive excel sheet but will be updating that soon!)

NTUC Fairprice do earn 10x UNI for UOB PP Visa Paywave. I found it listed as Fairprice NTUC in the spreadsheet. :p


Originally Posted by BryanHuang (Post 23654602)
If spend more than $2,000/month on flights (which I will be solely diverting to WWMC) what will be the next best card for online purchases of flights?

That's a good question, I haven't hit that hurdle yet so haven't explored the alternative.... Hmm...

vsepr Oct 10, 14 11:28 pm

My annual fee for ANZ Travel card was charged on 9 Aug 2014 and I paid the $200 annual fee. The 12,000 bonus Travel$ is in on 9 Oct 2014. Have to wait exactly 2 months!!! Not going to pay for 2015 onwards because not worth since dropped to 10,000 Travel$ only.

I heard DBS Altitude cards need to wait 3 months.

Anyway, Citi PM is best. 10,000 bonus CitiMiles in once the annual fee is charged.

vsepr Oct 10, 14 11:39 pm

Updates on Citibank Clear Platinum Card:

https://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/cred...CACPENCCHOCALM

Earn 5X Rewards (5 Rewards Points or 2 Miles for every S$1 spend) on Overseas Spend, Dining & Online Shopping. Earn 1 Rewards Point for all other spend.

aster Oct 11, 14 1:07 am

@:-) For overseas spend DBS still has their promo on both Visa and Amex Altitude cards:

From 1 September to 31 December 2014, get 3 miles per S$1 overseas spend when you charge at least S$2,000 a month to your DBS Altitude Visa/Amex Signature Card!

demue Oct 11, 14 2:36 am


Originally Posted by aster (Post 23659693)
@:-) For overseas spend DBS still has their promo on both Visa and Amex Altitude cards:

From 1 September to 31 December 2014, get 3 miles per S$1 overseas spend when you charge at least S$2,000 a month to your DBS Altitude Visa/Amex Signature Card!

Reading the T&Cs I guess if one missed spending 2K in Sep on the card then one would not meet the promo criteria as it says "each" month. So won't be able to leverage it for my upcoming overseas trips. Oh well, you gain some you loose / miss out on some. :)

WestofSIN Oct 11, 14 6:15 am

UOB Privi Amex
 
I don't see it mentioned, am I correct to assume that there are no bonus miles if I pay the annual fee each year?

lcpteck Oct 11, 14 8:13 am


Originally Posted by WestofSIN (Post 23660226)
I don't see it mentioned, am I correct to assume that there are no bonus miles if I pay the annual fee each year?

That is correct.

MilesBuzz Oct 12, 14 3:57 am


Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23659528)
I heard DBS Altitude cards need to wait 3 months.

Anyway, Citi PM is best. 10,000 bonus CitiMiles in once the annual fee is charged.

Just received my 10k bonus miles for paying the annual fee of DBS Altitude card and indeed, you need to wait 3 months for it.

demue Oct 12, 14 4:10 am


Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 23663951)
Just received my 10k bonus miles for paying the annual fee of DBS Altitude card and indeed, you need to wait 3 months for it.

+1. I paid the renewal fee in July and should get it on the 15th of this month. Quite long for my taste, but,not much choice. At least now you can use 5k increments again to transfer out.

Volasia Oct 12, 14 5:19 am


Originally Posted by demue (Post 23663983)
+1. I paid the renewal fee in July and should get it on the 15th of this month. Quite long for my taste, but,not much choice. At least now you can use 5k increments again to transfer out.

can I ask, why would you use this card compared to ANZ Visa ?

SingaporeDon Oct 12, 14 5:52 am


Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23655002)


I use UOB PRVI Miles Amex as my main expenditure card when overseas. It earns 2.5 miles/S$ and also it is not prone to DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion).

At present, UOB Signature Visa has a better deal on foreign spend - 4X miles, but capped at S$2,000 foreign spend per month.

Also, Visa charges 2.5% versus 3.25% charged by AMEX for foreign currency transactions.

subject to a minimum foreign currencies spend of S$1,000 per statement period. Online transactions in Singapore Dollars or in foreign currencies at merchants with payment gateway in Singapore will earn UNI$1 for every S$5 spent. Cardmembers will also earn UNI$10 for every S$5 spent on petrol (except at Caltex, which is a SMART$ merchant) and Visa payWave transactions, which is equivalent to 5% cash rebate, subject to a minimum local spend of S$1,000 in total, per statement period. Cardmembers can earn a maximum of UNI$4,000 for spend in foreign currencies (including online transactions in foreign currencies), petrol and with Visa payWave, per statement period,

http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...ml#cash-rebate

SingaporeDon Oct 12, 14 5:55 am


Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 23664130)
can I ask, why would you use this card compared to ANZ Visa ?

some reasons - better online/phone service at DBS, miles never expire at DBS etc.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:20 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.