FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

demue Jun 24, 2014 2:42 am

Originally Posted by SirJman (Post 23085847)
I believe the only way to pay utilities by CC is to go to the office in Somerset.

DBS Altitude Card has an auto-payment arrangement for SP Power. Only card they accept for that arrangement from what I'm aware of and the only reason I'm keeping it for now (well and the miles for the annual fee payment) . That is if you are too lazy to go to the service office to pay like me. :D

demue Jun 24, 2014 2:44 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 23084453)

For my other bills,
- I pay Singtel online using Citibank Rewards,

Interesting. Does that count for the 10x rewards points or just normal earn rate? I was thinking just normal right?

demue Jun 24, 2014 2:50 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23084736)
My StarHub bill is paid via vbox.com.sg using DBS Woman's.

Hmm that also sounds quite intriguing. Does paying via vbox make it an 'online purchase'? Does that work for UOB PPV too?

Right now for Starhub I have an auto-bill arrangement to be taken out of my Citi PM Amex which gives at least 1.4mls/$. It is okay, but never hurts to optimize right ;)

lcpteck Jun 24, 2014 8:27 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 23086323)
Hmm that also sounds quite intriguing. Does paying via vbox make it an 'online purchase'? Does that work for UOB PPV too?

Right now for Starhub I have an auto-bill arrangement to be taken out of my Citi PM Amex which gives at least 1.4mls/$. It is okay, but never hurts to optimize right ;)

VBOX is a 3rd party online payment portal hence the transaction is deemed online, which in turn earns 10x with DBS Woman's. UOB PPV doesn't work cause it's a bill payment which is under it's exclusion list.

demue Jun 25, 2014 2:48 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23087406)
VBOX is a 3rd party online payment portal hence the transaction is deemed online, which in turn earns 10x with DBS Woman's. UOB PPV doesn't work cause it's a bill payment which is under it's exclusion list.

Got it. Thanks. Thought it was like that. Will leave it on my Citi PM Amex. Too lazy and too many cards. :)

vsepr Jun 25, 2014 5:49 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23087406)

UOB PPV does not work not because of bill payment. It's because the MCC is under government. Same for Citi Rewards Card.

http://www.uob.com.sg/assets/pdfs/pe...atinumVisa.pdf

BUT excludes all merchants that fall within the categories of airline, travel, transport, top-ups for any pre-paid card,
government, utilities, telecommunications, brokerage/securities, insurance, education/tuition,
online money transfers and online gambling websites

Use Citi Rewards Card to pay at SingTel mybill and M1 Internet Bill payment will get 10x points, but not for UOB PPV because its under telecommunications.

I updated lcpteck's google doc under UOB tab:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=2

GIANT is not a SMART$ merchant and earns 10x UNI$ for Paywave transactions, same for Cold Storage, MarketPlace. Comfort cab does not accept VISA anymore. Added Starbucks and Post Offices (buy stamps and pay certain bills).

Anyway, I applied the UOB PPV too even though I don't like UOB cards in the past and totally ignored UOB PPV's 10x UNI$ for Paywave transactions when it was launched in March 2013. I noticed that so many places accept Paywave!! So long as you see the white or blue tapping machines, you can use Paywave!! There are much more places not in the list at the UOB website that accepts Paywave. And I need it to replace the old Citibank VISA which does NOT earn 5x Citidollars for NTUC and Sheng Siong transactions from 01 July 2014 onwards. I estimate it will take 3 months for me to create that 10,000 miles block since I divert Paywave transactions to UOB PPV instead of ANZ Travel Card.

lcpteck Jun 25, 2014 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23092907)
UOB PPV does not work not because of bill payment. It's because the MCC is under government. Same for Citi Rewards Card.

Thanks vsepr for the correction.

I received a mailer from UOB that Guardian is still a 10x merchant under PPV. Haven't tried it yet, will do so when I need to buy my mouthwash/toiletries. I can't seem to find the Green Tea colgate mouthwash in NTUC Fairprice, seems only Guardian has it.

SQ319 Jun 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23097295)
Thanks vsepr for the correction.

I received a mailer from UOB that Guardian is still a 10x merchant under PPV. Haven't tried it yet, will do so when I need to buy my mouthwash/toiletries. I can't seem to find the Green Tea colgate mouthwash in NTUC Fairprice, seems only Guardian has it.

Swanston at Chinatown (next to OG) also stocks it. $6+ for 500ml + 250ml.

This is the only place I buy my toiletries (by cash or nets only), because the prices difference outweighs any miles/points I get from buying at Watsons/Guardian.

OK, this is very random, but since Icpteck talked about mouthwash....

lcpteck Jun 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 23097525)
OK, this is very random, but since Icpteck talked about mouthwash....

:D^ I really like the Colgate Green Tea mouthwash....

vsepr Jun 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23097551)
:D^ I really like the Colgate Green Tea mouthwash....

Buy toiletries from Venus Beauty. Same price as those shops which do not accept credit cards, amazingly cheaper than Swanston at Chinatown.

Venus Beauty accepts VISA/MasterCard, minimum S$20.

http://www.venusbeauty.com.sg/

demue Jun 26, 2014 1:22 am

I added FairPrice to the Excel list of 10x UNI$ merchants for PPV. Definitely works at the NTUC Fairprice Finest I went to last weekend as I checked my statement and it was the first transaction on the brand new card. Now I just got to work out how I can get just a tad above the 5$ multiples to reduce wastage. ;)

BTW, I paid membership fee for SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty against Animals) online and it does not qualify for 10UNI$. I kind of expected it, but it was worth a shot as I had no real good card for that anyways. And after all it is charity.

vsepr Jun 26, 2014 1:43 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 23098198)
I added FairPrice to the Excel list of 10x UNI$ merchants for PPV. Definitely works at the NTUC Fairprice Finest I went to last weekend as I checked my statement and it was the first transaction on the brand new card. Now I just got to work out how I can get just a tad above the 5$ multiples to reduce wastage. ;)

BTW, I paid membership fee for SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty against Animals) online and it does not qualify for 10UNI$. I kind of expected it, but it was worth a shot as I had no real good card for that anyways. And after all it is charity.

UOB has rounding off now:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22418090-post2641.html

Cannot comment on this until I start using my UOB PPV. Minimum charge now is S$2.50.

Please check the MCC code for the SPCA online charge and add to the excel file. Maybe its government.

SQ319 Jun 26, 2014 3:43 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23098247)

I recall it was mentioned somewhere later on in this thread that they have stopped the rounding off, so it's back to $5 min charge.

vsepr Jun 26, 2014 6:54 am

Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 23098494)
I recall it was mentioned somewhere later on in this thread that they have stopped the rounding off, so it's back to $5 min charge.

Any UOB card users can verify this? Thanks

SQ319 Jun 26, 2014 8:02 am

Mentioned in this post with a link to HWZ

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22602449-post2747.html