FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

LAX888 Jun 3, 14 5:28 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22947395)
Periodically I've this continuing fight with various banks pertaining to under-crediting of bonus points for specific spend categories that's marketed as key features of their credit cards.

I diligently use UOB PPAmex at a bona fide restaurants but if the restaurant for some reason isn't tagged to a dining establishment MCC, then I'm cheated of the bonus points.

Likewise Citibank Rewards MC at certain department stores that may not carry the right MCC (eg. M&S UK is tagged as grocery store!) again losing out on bonus points.

Each time I've had to call up their CS to check if firstly I had been credited the points correctly, and if not raise a request to rectify. Like clockwork, the bank will call back shortly after with a boilerplate reply that it's because the merchant wasn't tagged to the right MCC so they can't award the bonus points.

And each time I've had to fight with CS to tell them how stupid their response is. A cardholder has no means to know what MCC an establishment is tagged to when he decides to use a particular card! He sits at a restaurant table, with fine linen, is served food and drink, signs for the bill at the end - and has every reason to believe that he's dined at a restaurant. He's bought clothing or shoes at a department store that sells these items on 4 out of 5 floors (with the exception of a grocery store at the basement) hence has every reason to believe that he's shopped at a department store.

No matter what the MCC says of these establishments!

What's the cardholder supposed to do? Ask the waiter, "What is your MCC?" Naturally the waiter wouldn't know, not to mention the embarrassment of such interaction, especially if you have dining companions. Neither will a department store checkout counter be able to provide this information readily.

Worst is if it's a standalone restaurant in a large department store - how would the person know which is the "right" card to use to maximise his points earning capability?

And these banks, in their response, effectively expect the onus to know what MCC is tagged to which establishment to rest on the cardholder. Information that's impossible for the cardholder to know at the point of deciding which card to use. This stance by banks is ridiculous and almost amounting to unfair banking practice in my firm opinion.

In my recent fights, I've had to threaten to write to the local papers and/or MAS before the banks deigned to escalate within their senior management to get the missing points credited. But it hasn't come easy from my experience. Oftentimes their initial response is to deny the claim - even though it's of no fault of the cardholder as a merchant's MCC tagging isn't something that the cardholder controls.

These interactions really shouldn't have been so hard... and banks really shouldn't require "threats" for them to see sense and do what's right. I'm frankly tired of having to fight every time to get what's due to me.

In fact, any decent bank should immediately rectify the missing points credit when hearing of a cardholder's complaint, as they full well know how "imperfect" this MCC tagging scheme is.

It appears banks continue to benefit from a cardholder's lack of knowledge to get away with not crediting the right number of points. Such situation is exacerbated by lack of transaction breakdown in the monthly CC statements.

Interested to know if you share similar frustrations, and what you've done in the past to get the banks to honor the bonus points. What's the "path of least resistance" - if there's even one?

For UOB for example: Do you always call them to find out the MCC code after it was posted or how do you find out what MCC it is?

MilesBuzz Jun 4, 14 1:24 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 22964913)
That's right, let's hope their MCC is coded correctly. Remember to save your transaction slip and receipt in case you need to trash it out with Citibank.

The transaction slip is in Japanese and it doesn't say anything about MCC. Hmm....

MilesBuzz Jun 4, 14 1:24 am

Originally Posted by LAX888 (Post 22969559)
For UOB for example: Do you always call them to find out the MCC code after it was posted or how do you find out what MCC it is?

Indeed....I am also curious of how to do that.

vsepr Jun 4, 14 7:58 am

30/05/2014 *PAYPAL *POINTSCOMIN 4029357733 SG SGD 20.49

https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...av&c=SWSideNav

Buy SPG Starpoints, choose to pay with PayPal and earn 10x Citidollars with Citi Rewards Card!!

lcpteck Jun 4, 14 8:14 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 22976091)
30/05/2014 *PAYPAL *POINTSCOMIN 4029357733 SG SGD 20.49

https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...av&c=SWSideNav

Buy SPG Starpoints, choose to pay with PayPal and earn 10x Citidollars with Citi Rewards Card!!

Yeah, recent promo ended. Will wait for the next one. They usually have 2-3 of these promos per year. I use DBS Woman's for the 10x as well.

carrotjuice Jun 4, 14 9:36 am

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

Why would anyone want to buy SPG points? If it's to convert to miles, isn't it horrendous value?

vsepr Jun 4, 14 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22976607)
Why would anyone want to buy SPG points? If it's to convert to miles, isn't it horrendous value?

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...tner_list.html

SMK77 Jun 4, 14 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22976607)

Can you let us know what 'horrendous' is? Or are you just looking for someone to do the maths for you?

You can buy 20,000 SPG points at 20% discount at the moment for 2.8 US-Cents.

You can convert that into 25,000 Krisflyer miles = 2.24 US-Cents.

If you call SQ and top-up for an award, they charge you 4 US-Cents for missing miles.

vsepr Jun 4, 14 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 22980532)
Can you let us know what 'horrendous' is? Or are you just looking for someone to do the maths for you?

If you call SQ and top-up for an award, they charge you 4 US-Cents for missing miles.

Like I mentioned in my previous posts on Air Canada's Aeroplan, for the price of an Economy Class ticket on SIA (non-promo fare), fly First Class within Asia just need S$1350 and Business Class within Asia just need S$840 if buy SPG Starpoints to redeem. Incredible!!

vsepr Jun 5, 14 12:17 am

Originally Posted by LAX888 (Post 22969559)

Either call them up after you made the charge or after the charge is posted to check.

Anyway, in the terms and conditions for the bonus points, bonus points are awarded based on the MCC code. Even if the merchant category does not match (Eg, department store's MCC become supermarket), there is nothing we can do. Its really a gamble when you shop overseas. Just live with it.

LAX888 Jun 5, 14 1:54 am

Does anyone know how long it takes for UOB to link your credit card to KF? I completed the form and faxed it to them. Does it really take up to two weeks?
I faxed it in last Friday (30/05/14) but when I try to redeem it does not work yet.

LAX888 Jun 5, 14 2:17 am

Originally Posted by LAX888 (Post 22981202)
Does anyone know how long it takes for UOB to link your credit card to KF? I completed the form and faxed it to them. Does it really take up to two weeks?
I faxed it in last Friday (30/05/14) but when I try to redeem it does not work yet.

I just answered my own question. It depends with which credit card you login to UOB rewards. I used my Amex PP which was not linked but when I used my Amex PRVI it worked. So it is a bit weird as each card links to the same UNI$ account but you can only use one card number to redeem...

carrotjuice Jun 5, 14 5:51 am

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 22980532)

My personal value is 1 mile should not exceed S$0.02 - anything more that that fits squarely in my definition of horrendous. Indeed there are alternatives in Singapore that generate miles at a much lower price than even that.

lcpteck Jun 5, 14 8:43 am

Originally Posted by LAX888 (Post 22981266)
I just answered my own question. It depends with which credit card you login to UOB rewards. I used my Amex PP which was not linked but when I used my Amex PRVI it worked. So it is a bit weird as each card links to the same UNI$ account but you can only use one card number to redeem...

That's interesting, thanks for the heads up.

percysmith Jun 5, 14 1:30 pm

I also suspect local takeup will be low because it's difficult to get people to pay up here (case in point - Citi Premiermiles card).

Esp. if they keep thinking maybe they'll get opup anyway if CX sets the reserve price too high and the flight is oversold.

More opportunities for non-HKers.