FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

SingaporeDon May 27, 14 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 22932123)
You will get the usual 1X after $2K spending.

Meaning for the first $2K you should get up to 8000 Krisflyer miles,
And then for the $111 you should get 22 miles

But due to the rounding you should get about 8000 miles in total. Versus the PRVI miles card that will get you about only 5200 miles.

Plus you would have saved $20 SGD in exchange rate using Visa.

Confused
Would I get 8,000 Krisflyer miles or would I get the 5% cash rebate? UOB Website does not clarify

carrotjuice May 28, 14 12:16 am

Last week I had a Maxi Cab (Merc Vito van) that didn't help me with my luggage because it was raining!

The driver just sat there in his seat and opened the auto door and waited for me to carry up my luggage in the rain!
And then he asked me for directions to the airport! Seriously!

Yes don't you just hate that!

Slightly OT but I have had on occasions - upon returning to Changi with a large luggage and some carry ons... and the taxi driver just sat in his car waiting as he expected me to load the trunk myself! I would then stand by his taxi, dumbly waiting too, until he deigns to come out from his taxi to lend a hand.

There was another occasion where I saw a domestic helper taking another taxi alone after her employer had left Changi for home in a prior taxi. Obviously the poor girl had a laden trolley with multiple suitcases and bags. The taxi driver just stood by the driver's door and watched the poor maid trying to organize all her employer's baggage into the trunk and back seats. So much so that one of the taxi queue 'aunties' saw her plight and came forward to help her carry stuff, as the driver continued to stand there watching...

SQ319 May 28, 14 12:18 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 22936063)
Confused
Would I get 8,000 Krisflyer miles or would I get the 5% cash rebate? UOB Website does not clarify

You will get the UNI$ which you can choose whether you want to convert to KF or redeem as a cash rebate on your statement.

demue May 28, 14 2:16 am

Only thing is that you get a Limo ride from PRVI but the cars they have been sending are getting worse.

Last week I had a Maxi Cab (Merc Vito van) that didn't help me with my luggage because it was raining!

The driver just sat there in his seat and opened the auto door and waited for me to carry up my luggage in the rain!

OT: Standard behaviour of a Singapore cab driver (limo or not). I expect zero from them in that regard by now and that includes the Limo ones that I get via card usage at times. Yes there are some that will help / assist (rain or not), but they are an absolute minority and not required to do so. Admittedly, when I see some of the old and frail taxi uncles I don't even want them to lift any suit cases as they may injuire themselves doing so.

Well overall basically I expect close to nothing from a cab driver here in SIN in general. I DO NOT expect that he will take me where I want to go if he stops after being flagged down or coming to a taxi stand (not talking shift change here), I DO NOT expect that he will know a reasonably good way to get to my destination so I tell him my preference and also I DO NOT take it for granted that he will accept the many forms of electronic payment that are advertised / displayed on his cabs window and instead demand cash so I rather ask if in doubt. :D.

Okay, rant over, and yes there are really good cab drivers around here, but they are rare these days and you just need to adjust your expectations really down and you will be fine ;)

carrotjuice May 28, 14 2:59 am

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

On the bright side, at least after giving your destination, Singapore taxi drivers repeat your destination as if he didn't hear it originally and in Singlish... while those in Hong Kong would acknowledge your destination with a grunt, if at all... :)

angelyn May 28, 14 3:14 am

Hi, i am planning to book a clubmed holiday. please advise which is the best card to use for accrual of miles?

i have the uob privi miles, uob preferred platinum amex card for 10x dining and uob preferred platinum visa card for 10x paywave and online shopping.

I have the dbs altitude card too but I hardly use it now

lsed May 28, 14 5:19 am

Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 22935629)
Plenty. Most insurance companies don't do online payment using credit card. Some you may be able to do bill payment the internet banking, but that's not a credit card payment.

I see, sad to hear the benefit is gone.

Queueing up to pay for bills at the AXS can be quite a pain as well

We should open a CC payment solution that services these insurance payments and income tax payments that but passes the bulk of the merchant fee to the payment maker but earns the cardholder 10X on PPV!

lsed May 28, 14 5:26 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22936337)
Yes don't you just hate that!

Slightly OT but I have had on occasions - upon returning to Changi with a large luggage and some carry ons... and the taxi driver just sat in his car waiting as he expected me to load the trunk myself! I would then stand by his taxi, dumbly waiting too, until he deigns to come out from his taxi to lend a hand.

There was another occasion where I saw a domestic helper taking another taxi alone after her employer had left Changi for home in a prior taxi. Obviously the poor girl had a laden trolley with multiple suitcases and bags. The taxi driver just stood by the driver's door and watched the poor maid trying to organize all her employer's baggage into the trunk and back seats. So much so that one of the taxi queue 'aunties' saw her plight and came forward to help her carry stuff, as the driver continued to stand there watching...

Originally Posted by demue (Post 22936644)
OT: Standard behaviour of a Singapore cab driver (limo or not). I expect zero from them in that regard by now and that includes the Limo ones that I get via card usage at times. Yes there are some that will help / assist (rain or not), but they are an absolute minority and not required to do so. Admittedly, when I see some of the old and frail taxi uncles I don't even want them to lift any suit cases as they may injuire themselves doing so.

Well overall basically I expect close to nothing from a cab driver here in SIN in general. I DO NOT expect that he will take me where I want to go if he stops after being flagged down or coming to a taxi stand (not talking shift change here), I DO NOT expect that he will know a reasonably good way to get to my destination so I tell him my preference and also I DO NOT take it for granted that he will accept the many forms of electronic payment that are advertised / displayed on his cabs window and instead demand cash so I rather ask if in doubt. :D.

Okay, rant over, and yes there are really good cab drivers around here, but they are rare these days and you just need to adjust your expectations really down and you will be fine ;)

And somewhere on FT there's a thread about cities with the best taxi service in the world and many FTers love Singapore taxis. lol

Having said that perhaps we should complain about UOB PRVI's limo. I really hate that 5 X $490 travel spending charges still = 0 approved limo rides.

And 5 X $1000 travel spend on supplementary card = 0 approved limo rides for Main card holder

On top of that they send you ...... vans with ...... drivers.

Once I had a Malaysian registered passenger van (probably sits 12 pax) and it completely reeked of cigarette smoke. When the van arrived to pick me up my family members laughed in disbelief.

I was almost embarrassed to step out of that at the FCL check in at T3

carrotjuice May 28, 14 9:23 am

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 22937032)
Having said that perhaps we should complain about UOB PRVI's limo. I really hate that 5 X $490 travel spending charges still = 0 approved limo rides.

And 5 X $1000 travel spend on supplementary card = 0 approved limo rides for Main card holder

On top of that they send you ...... vans with ...... drivers.

Once I had a Malaysian registered passenger van (probably sits 12 pax) and it completely reeked of cigarette smoke. When the van arrived to pick me up my family members laughed in disbelief.

I was almost embarrassed to step out of that at the FCL check in at T3

Add to that:

If you're a forward planner like me and book your flights more than 3 months in advance = 0 approved limo rides

If you send a request on Saturday for a Monday limo booking = request rejected because "Saturday is not a working day"

lcpteck May 28, 14 9:27 pm

Agree on most points regarding the limo experience using UOB PRVI and Taxi experience. :)^

lcpteck May 28, 14 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by angelyn (Post 22936772)
Hi, i am planning to book a clubmed holiday. please advise which is the best card to use for accrual of miles?

i have the uob privi miles, uob preferred platinum amex card for 10x dining and uob preferred platinum visa card for 10x paywave and online shopping.

I have the dbs altitude card too but I hardly use it now

I've never tried a Clubmed before but I understand it's an all-inclusive thing? You don't pay any extra while you're there to use the facilities and the dining right? Including transport?

Since you're paying in local S$ to the local travel agent (whether offline at the agency or online at their website), you can charge it to your UOB PRVI Amex Card (assuming they accept Amex) to earn 1.6miles per S$1 (in multiples of S$5). If the bill comes up to more than $500 (which it should, cause I heard they are expensive..) in a single transaction, you get a free Limo ride from UOB to the airport via their limo service.

Even if the payment was online, you can't use UOB Preferred Platinum Visa to earn 10x (4 miles per S$1) since they exclude air ticket/hotel/tour package (transport/travel/holiday) related transactions.

DBS altitude would only earn you 1.2 miles per S$1, same as Citibank Premier Miles.

Just my opinion based on the CCs you're holding on right now. Does your clubmed package include the air ticket? I'm assuming yes.

jagmeets May 28, 14 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22937925)
Add to that:

If you're a forward planner like me and book your flights more than 3 months in advance = 0 approved limo rides

If you send a request on Saturday for a Monday limo booking = request rejected because "Saturday is not a working day"

Agree. However, if you have charges rolling in continuously - like me, then it is useful (just need a note to keep track of the eligible charges vs the rides used). Used it ~10 times this year, all but one was in decent sedans, and the 1 time they sent a van, it was a rather plush merc.

I know this is at odds with the general experience here. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but the experience has been much better after they changed their vendor back to Maxicab.

LAX888 May 29, 14 2:01 am

You will get the usual 1X after $2K spending.

Meaning for the first $2K you should get up to 8000 Krisflyer miles,
And then for the $111 you should get 22 miles

But due to the rounding you should get about 8000 miles in total. Versus the PRVI miles card that will get you about only 5200 miles.

Plus you would have saved $20 SGD in exchange rate using Visa.

Only thing is that you get a Limo ride from PRVI but the cars they have been sending are getting worse.

Thanks for the info on the mileage accrual. I guess 22 miles is better than nothing. :)

I have only used the UOB PRVI taxi once and I had a van picking us up (private one not linked to taxi company) and the van had nice leather seats and was clean and the driver was friendly. So I guess it depends on the company they use.
For HSBC it is usually always a Mercedes taxi.

carrotjuice May 29, 14 8:11 pm

Rant - missing bonus on credit cards geared towards specific spends

Periodically I've this continuing fight with various banks pertaining to under-crediting of bonus points for specific spend categories that's marketed as key features of their credit cards.

I diligently use UOB PPAmex at a bona fide restaurants but if the restaurant for some reason isn't tagged to a dining establishment MCC, then I'm cheated of the bonus points.

Likewise Citibank Rewards MC at certain department stores that may not carry the right MCC (eg. M&S UK is tagged as grocery store!) again losing out on bonus points.

Each time I've had to call up their CS to check if firstly I had been credited the points correctly, and if not raise a request to rectify. Like clockwork, the bank will call back shortly after with a boilerplate reply that it's because the merchant wasn't tagged to the right MCC so they can't award the bonus points.

And each time I've had to fight with CS to tell them how stupid their response is. A cardholder has no means to know what MCC an establishment is tagged to when he decides to use a particular card! He sits at a restaurant table, with fine linen, is served food and drink, signs for the bill at the end - and has every reason to believe that he's dined at a restaurant. He's bought clothing or shoes at a department store that sells these items on 4 out of 5 floors (with the exception of a grocery store at the basement) hence has every reason to believe that he's shopped at a department store.

No matter what the MCC says of these establishments!

What's the cardholder supposed to do? Ask the waiter, "What is your MCC?" Naturally the waiter wouldn't know, not to mention the embarrassment of such interaction, especially if you have dining companions. Neither will a department store checkout counter be able to provide this information readily.

Worst is if it's a standalone restaurant in a large department store - how would the person know which is the "right" card to use to maximise his points earning capability?

And these banks, in their response, effectively expect the onus to know what MCC is tagged to which establishment to rest on the cardholder. Information that's impossible for the cardholder to know at the point of deciding which card to use. This stance by banks is ridiculous and almost amounting to unfair banking practice in my firm opinion.

In my recent fights, I've had to threaten to write to the local papers and/or MAS before the banks deigned to escalate within their senior management to get the missing points credited. But it hasn't come easy from my experience. Oftentimes their initial response is to deny the claim - even though it's of no fault of the cardholder as a merchant's MCC tagging isn't something that the cardholder controls.

These interactions really shouldn't have been so hard... and banks really shouldn't require "threats" for them to see sense and do what's right. I'm frankly tired of having to fight every time to get what's due to me.

In fact, any decent bank should immediately rectify the missing points credit when hearing of a cardholder's complaint, as they full well know how "imperfect" this MCC tagging scheme is.

It appears banks continue to benefit from a cardholder's lack of knowledge to get away with not crediting the right number of points. Such situation is exacerbated by lack of transaction breakdown in the monthly CC statements.

Interested to know if you share similar frustrations, and what you've done in the past to get the banks to honor the bonus points. What's the "path of least resistance" - if there's even one?

lcpteck May 29, 14 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22947395)
Periodically I've this continuing fight with various banks pertaining to under-crediting of bonus points for specific spend categories that's marketed as key features of their credit cards.

I diligently use UOB PPAmex at a bona fide restaurants but if the restaurant for some reason isn't tagged to a dining establishment MCC, then I'm cheated of the bonus points.

Likewise Citibank Rewards MC at certain department stores that may not carry the right MCC (eg. M&S UK is tagged as grocery store!) again losing out on bonus points.

Each time I've had to call up their CS to check if firstly I had been credited the points correctly, and if not raise a request to rectify. Like clockwork, the bank will call back shortly after with a boilerplate reply that it's because the merchant wasn't tagged to the right MCC so they can't award the bonus points.

And each time I've had to fight with CS to tell them how stupid their response is. A cardholder has no means to know what MCC an establishment is tagged to when he decides to use a particular card! He sits at a restaurant table, with fine linen, is served food and drink, signs for the bill at the end - and has every reason to believe that he's dined at a restaurant. He's bought clothing or shoes at a department store that sells these items on 4 out of 5 floors (with the exception of a grocery store at the basement) hence has every reason to believe that he's shopped at a department store.

No matter what the MCC says of these establishments!

What's the cardholder supposed to do? Ask the waiter, "What is your MCC?" Naturally the waiter wouldn't know, not to mention the embarrassment of such interaction, especially if you have dining companions. Neither will a department store checkout counter be able to provide this information readily.

Worst is if it's a standalone restaurant in a large department store - how would the person know which is the "right" card to use to maximise his points earning capability?

And these banks, in their response, effectively expect the onus to know what MCC is tagged to which establishment to rest on the cardholder. Information that's impossible for the cardholder to know at the point of deciding which card to use. This stance by banks is ridiculous and almost amounting to unfair banking practice in my firm opinion.

In my recent fights, I've had to threaten to write to the local papers and/or MAS before the banks deigned to escalate within their senior management to get the missing points credited. But it hasn't come easy from my experience. Oftentimes their initial response is to deny the claim - even though it's of no fault of the cardholder as a merchant's MCC tagging isn't something that the cardholder controls.

These interactions really shouldn't have been so hard... and banks really shouldn't require "threats" for them to see sense and do what's right. I'm frankly tired of having to fight every time to get what's due to me.

In fact, any decent bank should immediately rectify the missing points credit when hearing of a cardholder's complaint, as they full well know how "imperfect" this MCC tagging scheme is.

It appears banks continue to benefit from a cardholder's lack of knowledge to get away with not crediting the right number of points. Such situation is exacerbated by lack of transaction breakdown in the monthly CC statements.

Interested to know if you share similar frustrations, and what you've done in the past to get the banks to honor the bonus points. What's the "path of least resistance" - if there's even one?

I understand your frustration though I have only encountered once where points wasn't credited properly with my Citibank Rewards due to MCC issue (Timberland Taiwan). As for UOB PP Amex, I haven't encountered any problems thus far when dining at restaurants (that is not operated by hotel chain) or drinking at pubs/clubs.

But you're absolutely right, if the merchant tagging is wrong then it's the merchant who is wrong, not the consumer. Unfortunately Banks would care less until we complain to the press or online social media.