FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

chrispstan Apr 22, 14 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 22739849)
Do you guys really spend more than 2k a month on online and pay wave?? What kind of purchases are they? Just curious as the most I can spend is around 500 a month.

My monthly grocery bill alone is about $1.5k. I will be switching to UOB Visa Signature for now since it also gives 10x for PayWave but with a higher cap, 4k UNI$ a month.

LAX888 Apr 22, 14 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Archieflyer (Post 22706084)
If you want to maximise your miles earn, consider the following cards.

UOB Visa Signature - 4 miles/$ on all overseas charges, minimum $1k maximum $2k per month
UOB Preferred Platinum Amex - 4 miles/$ on all F&B charges; ie restaurants, etc

Re: hotel bookings
This depends on your travel profile. If you travel frequently (which seems to be the case based on your post) and are able to stick to one or two chains, it is definitely better to book directly with the hotel for the points and status. With status, you get perks like free internet, free breakfast, or even just free bottled water!, which helps save money in the long run.

ANZ Travel Visa is a good card for general use at places that do not accept Amex (those that do, use the PRVI Miles Amex). It's also a source of cheapish miles for income tax, and if you can hit the spending requirements, the processing fee for income tax payment is waived. So, that's worth considering.

hi guys,

Can I just clarify the following?

UOB AMEX PRVI Miles: 1.6 miles for local spend and 2.5 for foreign spend
UOB AMEX PREF PLAT: 4 miles for F&B except the few restrictions (no cap on spending)

(as copied from website: Cardmembers will earn 10X UNI$ at any F&B establishments registered under the following MCC:

5812 Eating Places and Restaurants
5813 Drinking Places (Alcoholic Beverages) – Bars, Taverns, Nightclubs, Cocktail Lounges, and Discotheques
5814 Fast Food Restaurants

F&B establishments does not include bakeries, caterers and F&B spending at establishments that does not have F&B as its main business activity such as hotels and supermarkets. Some examples of these F&B establishments will include Swensens, Crystal Jade, Tung Lok, The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, Les Amis, Overeasy and Wine Bar.

UOB VISA PREF PLAT: 4 miles for Paywave and online excluding travels etc. (cap 12k SGD a year) BTW, does anyone know if Paywave outside of SG counts towards the 4 miles?

UOB VISA SIGNATURE: 4 miles for overseas spend and online in foreign currency with minimum of 1k SGD and max of 2k SGD within statement period. (so this means if my statement period is from the 22/04/14-22/05/14 I will get 4 miles per SGD I spend within that time even though it overlaps two months?) I guess the spending is combined? I.e. max 2k overseas is including online or is that seperate?

Paywave will also get 4 miles but only if you spend more than 1k during a statement period.

Thanks all. UOB has a great way to accumulate miles but they sure make it complicated! I now have all 4 cards from them!! Now I really need to double confirm which card I have to use ;)

jrc999 Apr 22, 14 8:47 pm

I'm looking at signing up for one of the high fee but high welcome bonus miles cards - I know of the HSBC Visa Infinite (30k miles) and Citi Prestige (25k miles bonus) - are there any other ones out there with high welcome bonus miles that don't require loads of spending (e.g. AMEX Ascend)? thanks

lcpteck Apr 22, 14 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 22740757)
The problem is that I don't want to diversify my spend across so many different card/banks that it becomes difficult for me to accummulate enough points to convert to miles... IIRC, DBS redemption starts from 10000 points for 20000 miles , yeah?

I understand what you mean. DBS redemption is a bit high at the 10k points block to 20k Miles (KF or AM).

As I divert all my online spending (excluding hotel bookings) to DBS Woman's World MC, I'm able to hit the redemption threshold. I'm also paying the annual fee for the DBS Altitude Visa and Amex cards hence am getting 10K DBS points per membership year on top of my usual online spending on DBS Woman's World MC.

lcpteck Apr 22, 14 8:56 pm

Citi Prestige Card (MasterCard World Elite)

I wonder if I signup for a secured Citi Prestige Card, would I get the welcome points as well?

feizhu Apr 24, 14 1:41 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 22745281)
I understand what you mean. DBS redemption is a bit high at the 10k points block to 20k Miles (KF or AM).

As I divert all my online spending (excluding hotel bookings) to DBS Woman's World MC, I'm able to hit the redemption threshold. I'm also paying the annual fee for the DBS Altitude Visa and Amex cards hence am getting 20K DBS points per membership year on top of my usual online spending on DBS Woman's World MC.

I believe you mean 10K DBS points per membership year from the annual fee for DBS?

lcpteck Apr 24, 14 5:41 am

Originally Posted by feizhu (Post 22752028)
I believe you mean 10K DBS points per membership year from the annual fee for DBS?

You're right, was thinking about the points to miles conversion hehe.. Let me edit my post.

fern76 Apr 25, 14 7:37 am

RE: UOB and UNI$ calculations

Hi all

Does anyone find that there are many discrepancies as to how UOB awards the bonus UNI$?

Spent so much time on the phone with the CSO last week but I still don't understand how they came up with my points balance.

I seem to be short on quite a fair bit.

Has anyone had any success in asking UOB for any missing points?

TIA

vsepr Apr 25, 14 6:21 pm

So fast...it's been a year since the American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card was launched and the annual was charged today:

26 Apr CARD ANNUAL FEE $240.00
26 Apr GST $16.80
$256.80
Statement Closing balance $256.80

I called up AMEX and the CSO was telling me how good this card was....free hotel stay and other vouchers worth up to S$500, bonus miles for spending met, free miles transfer every month etc etc etc...and I told them how good other banks' cards was like ANZ Travel Card, Citi PM etc.....many places do not welcome AMEX card etc...in the end the CSO say the card was not suitable for my lifestyle and sorry this is not a free card, the best they can do is a 50% fee waiver. So I cancelled the card!!! PLEASE DO THE SAME!!

carrotjuice Apr 25, 14 6:34 pm

Good for you and unsurprising.

Previously when I held the Amex KF Gold card and called up to cancel, the CS also tried their best to encourage me to stay... almost a pathetic 'plead' but completely ignorant of how uncompetitive their card is against others in the market. Almost feel sorry they have to do this to every caller who wants to cancel... a battle that they almost never wins.

lcpteck Apr 25, 14 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22762744)

Previously when I held the Amex KF Gold card and called up to cancel, the CS also tried their best to encourage me to stay... almost a pathetic 'plead' but completely ignorant of how uncompetitive their card is against others in the market. Almost feel sorry they have to do this to every caller who wants to cancel... a battle that they almost never wins.

Yeah, the marketing folks at Amex seems to be living in their own world.

percysmith Apr 25, 14 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22762744)

Same here in HK http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=9103&p=6 #52

Card cutting day today...Amex CS did her best to retain Mum

"If $5,500 I would have kept it...but new fee.."

"Shangri La? All the red days are blocked out! I hardly want to eat there anyway"

"Peninsula? Their restaurants are getting worse and worse. When my eldest child was a little boy..."

"I don't travel! When I do, I get a guy who does this private tour"

Sounds like my mum reads what I write here!

Awesom Andy Apr 26, 14 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 22762708)
in the end the CSO say the card was not suitable for my lifestyle

Just what lifestyle exactly (if any) does this card suit?

carrotjuice Apr 27, 14 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 22767582)

An oblivious lifestyle where people do not care or (or can be duped into not caring) much about miles value and like to prepay one nights stay at a Millenium hotel. :p

vsepr Apr 27, 14 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 22767582)

Frequent flyers, high income & high spenders, people who do not do research if there are better miles earning cards, people who DO NOT frequent neighbourhood shops that accepts VISA/MasterCard only...............