FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

BryanHuang Apr 10, 14 1:36 pm

For the free limousine svc from UOB do you guys tip the drivers? What is a good gauge on what to tip?

Also no problem for a guy to actually own a DBS Womans card? Wow.

MilesBuzz Apr 10, 14 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22674750)
Anyone with annual income > S$500,000 and want an invitation to the Citibank Ultima Visa card please PM me:
- 1.6 miles for S$1 local and 2 miles for S$1 foreign spends
- pay S$3,888 + GST and receive 150,000 miles!
- plus various bells and whistles...

Nah....will pass this card.

MilesBuzz Apr 10, 14 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by BryanHuang (Post 22683856)
For the free limousine svc from UOB do you guys tip the drivers? What is a good gauge on what to tip?

I just got the DBS Woman's Card and have already utilized it for PayPal and online transactions :)

jagmeets Apr 10, 14 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by BryanHuang (Post 22683856)

Tips - I do, sometimes, not always..depending on if the driver helped with bags etc, and a hefty one the one time he was actively thinking/planning how to get to the airport in time (massive jam on the ECP eastbound) - the dude was looking up traffic on each of the 'parallel' roads and switched back to the ECP when google maps showed him that things were clearing up.

As to the DBS card - why not!! The T&Cs dont say anything and :P

lcpteck Apr 10, 14 7:41 pm

There's a woman in all of us. :cool: In a manly way of course...

BryanHuang Apr 12, 14 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 22674453)
UOB Amex Privi will hit you with the AMEX FX fee ( 3.5%?) for your overseas spend, although you will earn 2.5 SQ KF miles per S$ 1 spent overseas.

Many people are using
UOB Preferred Plus PayWave for certain online and paywave to earn 4 miles per S$
DBS Woman's Mastercard for certain online
UOB AMEX Privi
ANZ Travel Visa as the visa alternative

Okay did some homework and would like to check with the "Experts" before I make my applications. :cool: Please let me know if there are cards more suitable for me!

Summary: I use only my DBS Altitude card. I expense appx $12,000SGD/month (3k online, 3k local, 6k overseas)

New Plan:

DBS Womans Worldcard (Guys eligible): Use for online purchases (mainly flights) up to $2,000SGD (Overseas or local currency both)
Q:
-Womans World Card Points expires after 12 months right?
-I am enrolled in the DBS Frequent Flyer Program while using my Altitude. Does this mean I do not have to pay for any conversion of points from the Womans World Card too? (Nice!)

For spending on online purchases (mainly flights or prepaid hotel bookings) after the $2,000SGD:
-> Should I consider the ANZ Travel Visa Signature card or should I just revert back to my Altitude card. Main questions listed right at bottom.
-> Other alternatives or go back to my DBS Altitude?

UOB PRVI Miles Platinum: Use for local (Singapore) spending both online and physical.Eg. Restaurants, drinks/parties, However avoid any purchase that transacts in foreign currency due to 3.5%? (Is this for ANY foreign currency transaction or just for overseas spend? Eg. online purchase of air ticket EX-Paris is transacted on card as Euro. Is this considered an "overseas spend" and incur 3.5%?)

UOB Preferred Plus PayWave: Transactions with payWave below $100SGD locally: Eg. Supermarketing at NTUC Fairprice, Coldstorage etc. Also use for online eg Mcdonald, movie tickets etc. -> Do not use for airline, travel etc.

What card should I use for my Overseas spend? Stick with my Altitude card? Most of my overseas spending are dining+entertainment & hotel charges. Also air tickets if purchase from local Singaporeairlines website is considered as "overseas transactions" if tickets are issued by overseas ticket office.

Really on the fence about the ANZ Travel Visa card.
Questions:
- Hotel bookings through its selected partners gives me points but pretty sure I lose out on points with the hotel loyalty memberships eg. SPG (Starwood). Definitely not worth it or am I wrong?
- How is the forex exchange rate + any hidden additional charge for overseas purchase similar to UOB PRVI 3.5%?
- Book direct with airlines gives 2.8 air miles for every $1 spent. Does this include purchases of tickets from overseas ticketing offices? Eg. Not the Singapore ticketing office of SQ but perhaps Paris ticketing office (they charge in their local currency)
- Any spending limits similar to the DBS Womans World Card? Did not find any but just in case.
- Charges for converting points to miles = $15sgd/conversion request. Worth it? How long do points on ANZ Travel Visa card last before expiry?

Also really curious on how credit cards recognize hotel payments. I've made "pre-paid" hotel bookings on websites and I am not sure how the credit card companies recognize this charge. Will the hotel site charge my card as a overseas transaction physical or online?

Sorry for all the questions I am truly green at this and have spent the entire day to try understand all these various perks + T&Cs. :confused: Hopefully with your help I can choose the best cards to maximize the accrual of miles for my KF account. ^

Archieflyer Apr 14, 14 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by BryanHuang (Post 22695570)
Okay did some homework and would like to check with the "Experts" before I make my applications. :cool: Please let me know if there are cards more suitable for me!

If you want to maximise your miles earn, consider the following cards.

UOB Visa Signature - 4 miles/$ on all overseas charges, minimum $1k maximum $2k per month
UOB Preferred Platinum Amex - 4 miles/$ on all F&B charges; ie restaurants, etc

Re: hotel bookings
This depends on your travel profile. If you travel frequently (which seems to be the case based on your post) and are able to stick to one or two chains, it is definitely better to book directly with the hotel for the points and status. With status, you get perks like free internet, free breakfast, or even just free bottled water!, which helps save money in the long run.

ANZ Travel Visa is a good card for general use at places that do not accept Amex (those that do, use the PRVI Miles Amex). It's also a source of cheapish miles for income tax, and if you can hit the spending requirements, the processing fee for income tax payment is waived. So, that's worth considering.

fern76 Apr 16, 14 10:52 pm

Paypal Txns and UOB Uni $

Seems DBS Woman's is the best for earning bonus points on Paypal txns. ;)

Am wondering if I should try with CB Rewards card but I think they might be quite sticky like UOB.

Just spent some time talking to a UOB CSO and found out the following:

1. VBox payments for Starhub bills are not eligible for bonus points

2. Challenger payments also don't earn bonus points

3. Quite a few eateries don't qualify for the PP AMEX 10 times Uni$. :td:

SingaporeDon Apr 17, 14 1:14 am

Is OCBC Titanium Mastercard a good card for Overseas spend?

This card apparently gives 2.5 miles per S$ spend for overseas spend
http://www.ocbc.com.sg/personal-bank...astercard.html

Pluses
1. It is mastercard, so fx charges hopefully lower than UOB AMEX which also gives 2.5 miles for $ spend overseas
2. 2.5 miles per $

Minuses
1. must spend $1500 in the month to get this 2.5 miles per $ spend
2. Annual fee $192.5 - but may be they waive it?

lcpteck Apr 17, 14 11:38 am

Originally Posted by fern76 (Post 22717496)
Seems DBS Woman's is the best for earning bonus points on Paypal txns. ;)

Am wondering if I should try with CB Rewards card but I think they might be quite sticky like UOB.

Just spent some time talking to a UOB CSO and found out the following:

1. VBox payments for Starhub bills are not eligible for bonus points

2. Challenger payments also don't earn bonus points

3. Quite a few eateries don't qualify for the PP AMEX 10 times Uni$. :td:

You can refer to my signature. List started by me but now is crowdsourced. Eateries under Hotels or billed as under Hotels may not qualify (depends on their merchant code).

SQueeze Apr 17, 14 7:04 pm

Oh - what eateries?

I am aware hotels' all-day-dining may not earn those bonus points

nightwish Apr 18, 14 1:13 am

anyone paying their IRAS using credit cards to earn miles? i think only anz and hsbc are the only options now right?

demue Apr 18, 14 3:43 am

Originally Posted by nightwish (Post 22723155)
anyone paying their IRAS using credit cards to earn miles? i think only anz and hsbc are the only options now right?

Depends if you think the cost for the miles using ANZ for example is worth it. Given DBS made the silly move to get rid of one the most favorable features of the Altitude Visa I have now applied for Giro and the 12-months installment plan with the IRAS instead as that is interest free and allows one to work a bit longer with the money and earn some returns instead.

nightwish Apr 18, 14 4:20 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 22723437)
Depends if you think the cost for the miles using ANZ for example is worth it. Given DBS made the silly move to get rid of one the most favorable features of the Altitude Visa I have now applied for Giro and the 12-months installment plan with the IRAS instead as that is interest free and allows one to work a bit longer with the money and earn some returns instead.

Previously i used DBS too. but since i have a 6 figures amount to pay. i was hoping to get something out of it.

For ANZ, there is a 0.7% fee which will add up to about $800+ for about 48k miles. Not attractive at all :(

lsed Apr 18, 14 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Archieflyer (Post 22706084)
If you want to maximise your miles earn, consider the following cards.

UOB Visa Signature - 4 miles/$ on all overseas charges, minimum $1k maximum $2k per month
UOB Preferred Platinum Amex - 4 miles/$ on all F&B charges; ie restaurants, etc

Re: hotel bookings
This depends on your travel profile. If you travel frequently (which seems to be the case based on your post) and are able to stick to one or two chains, it is definitely better to book directly with the hotel for the points and status. With status, you get perks like free internet, free breakfast, or even just free bottled water!, which helps save money in the long run.

ANZ Travel Visa is a good card for general use at places that do not accept Amex (those that do, use the PRVI Miles Amex). It's also a source of cheapish miles for income tax, and if you can hit the spending requirements, the processing fee for income tax payment is waived. So, that's worth considering.

Thanks for this. I did see someone talk about the VS card when it was reintroduced with new benefits but didn't think much about it.

But then now I realise I do frequently clock more than $1K in foreign currency. In fact when traveling the hotels are the ones that I charge mostly to PRVI (due to mostly booking rates that are non prepaid).

I just looked up my unbilled transactions for my PRVI card and I think I should channel part of the spend to this card.

So new strategy - clock any that are travel related and above $500 to the PRVI to get the limo ride. Then anything else charge it to the VS until it hits 2K then switch back to PRVI card.

If done right, on top of the extra 3K miles per month, you'll save almost $20 as the Visa forex fee is about 1% less than Amex + Much more access to use the card.