FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

tboons Apr 9, 2014 4:48 pm

AMEX has a terrible exchange rate according to my experience. So I just dropped it and switch back to DBS

BryanHuang Apr 9, 2014 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 22674453)
UOB Amex Privi will hit you with the AMEX FX fee ( 3.5%?) for your overseas spend, although you will earn 2.5 SQ KF miles per S$ 1 spent overseas.

Many people are using
UOB Preferred Plus PayWave for certain online and paywave to earn 4 miles per S$
DBS Woman's Mastercard for certain online
UOB AMEX Privi
ANZ Travel Visa as the visa alternative

Thanks a lot SingaporeDon will be using this as a base to do some further investigating..

For the past 6 years I've always liked using one card. So much easier to track overall spending. Guess its time to change that to maximize rebates. The 3.5% Overseas charge is a real killer. :( Some quick calculations in the head and it seems like def not worth even if 1.6-2.5 miles/$

DBS Woman's seems like good perks especially for online booking of flights -> 5x points wow. However how many of us guys out there have our wives get this card to buy tickets for us and face problems with verification upon check in etc?

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 22678963)
AMEX has a terrible exchange rate according to my experience. So I just dropped it and switch back to DBS

Yeah i've noticed the DBS Altitude use DBS FX rates. Not the best but not the worse. When i was using DBS AMEX I wasn't sure if they had a different exchange rate. Perhaps it is the 3.5% overseas charge as SingaporeDon pointed out above.

planetshakers Apr 9, 2014 8:57 pm

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

DBS woman platinum earns 10x points for online air tickets. most pax who apply for the card are guys anyway, DBS has send out a flyer before to say guys are welcome!

lcpteck Apr 9, 2014 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by planetshakers (Post 22680078)
DBS woman platinum earns 10x points for online air tickets. most pax who apply for the card are guys anyway, DBS has send out a flyer before to say guys are welcome!

Actually, only the DBS Woman's World Mastercard earns 10x points on online transactions (First S$2000/calendar month). DBS Woman's Platinum Mastercard earns 5x points instead (First S$1000/calendar month).

jagmeets Apr 9, 2014 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22674750)
- pay S$3,888 + GST and receive 150,000 miles!
- plus various bells and whistles...

The 150k aint too great at ~S$2.77cpm - easy to get them cheaper..,.just curious about the other bells & whistles..

Between UOB Preferred Plat Amex/PPV, 2x DBS WMC (wife's and mine, into FEVO), UOB Prvi (yes, the fx is bad, but I use the free taxi ride a lot - useful on friday evenings out of the CBD), don't have a lot of expenses left - so not sure of the hassle of handling another card.

(and taxes got sorted last year, just before DBS went poof on the IRAS).

lcpteck Apr 9, 2014 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 22680192)
The 150k aint too great at ~S$2.77cpm - easy to get them cheaper..,.just curious about the other bells & whistles..

Between UOB Preferred Plat Amex/PPV, 2x DBS WMC (wife's and mine, into FEVO), UOB Prvi (yes, the fx is bad, but I use the free taxi ride a lot - useful on friday evenings out of the CBD), don't have a lot of expenses left - so not sure of the hassle of handling another card.

(and taxes got sorted last year, just before DBS went poof on the IRAS).

Never tried the UOB Prvi Limousine service before. Is it just a regular taxi or one of those mercedes taxi or Chrysler taxi? Are they using Comfort or some other cab company?

carrotjuice Apr 9, 2014 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 22680192)

Agree the rate isn't great for those miles savvy among us. But you'd be surprise at the number of people clamouring for the so called 'prestige' of holding a card few have. (I personally don't understand this at all myself...)

Bells and whistles include unlimited airport lounge access, free and discounted golf, private clubs and events, dedicated "Lifestyle Manager" (whatever this means).

percysmith Apr 10, 2014 1:11 am

Originally Posted by planetshakers (Post 22680078)

Yeah I used DBS Woman's to illustrate that just cos SCB HK WorldMile card has the word "mile" in it, it can also be used to redeem 1.2% equivalent in shopping vouchers http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=12030&p=4 #33

percysmith Apr 10, 2014 1:20 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22680597)
Agree the rate isn't great for those miles savvy among us. But you'd be surprise at the number of people clamouring for the so called 'prestige' of holding a card few have. (I personally don't understand this at all myself...)

Bells and whistles include unlimited airport lounge access, free and discounted golf, private clubs and events, dedicated "Lifestyle Manager" (whatever this means).

I wonder too. I don't think I've honestly ever seen one being used.

In HK the Ultima card earns a very good HK$4/mile local earn rate http://www.hongkongcard.com/webedito...0408_95151.jpg , but having a fee of $23.8K I don't even bother listing the card in the HK best cards list.

carrotjuice Apr 10, 2014 2:23 am

In HK a couple of years ago there was a card (can't remember by which bank) that had a real diamond (!) embossed in it... Not sure what the subscription rate or fee was, but obviously targeting the mainland Chinese that adore bling?

percysmith Apr 10, 2014 3:52 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22680973)
In HK a couple of years ago there was a card (can't remember by which bank) that had a real diamond (!) embossed in it... Not sure what the subscription rate or fee was, but obviously targeting the mainland Chinese that adore bling?

Luxe Visa Infinite by Wing Lung Bank http://www.winglungbank.com/wlb_corp...ard/index.html

I don't think they will charge an annual fee if you have enough relationship balance with them. However I don't know what the required balance is.

jagmeets Apr 10, 2014 4:17 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 22680249)
Never tried the UOB Prvi Limousine service before. Is it just a regular taxi or one of those mercedes taxi or Chrysler taxi? Are they using Comfort or some other cab company?

maxicab these days - they changed the vendor back to them recently.
Been Mercs (mostly), with the odd Chryslyer and Toyota Altis/ Camry thrown in. The last vendor was sending a van 30% of the time!!

jagmeets Apr 10, 2014 4:20 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22680597)

Ok - not for me then! I'm cheap and absolutely brand unconscious/averse "

Lounge - Unlimited use Priority Pass (thanks CX HK Amex!), CX DM (for T1) takes care of matters. Not into golf, or the typical upmarket Lifestyle stuff..leaves us with events..probably not! never have the time..

Oh, did I mention that the 500 grand might be an issue ;)

lcpteck Apr 10, 2014 5:58 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 22681238)
maxicab these days - they changed the vendor back to them recently.
Been Mercs (mostly), with the odd Chryslyer and Toyota Altis/ Camry thrown in. The last vendor was sending a van 30% of the time!!

lol vans... what a joke. Glad it's a Maxicab, lots of space. :D

jagmeets Apr 10, 2014 10:44 am

Very decent mercs with water bottles (at times)- handy just after making a dash from my office to the pickup point (wife's office).