FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

vsepr Mar 2, 14 6:06 am

Originally Posted by SQueeze (Post 22445867)
Agree that this is a must-have card for general use in Singapore and I love the limo transfer and the lounge access. I will keep the card even if just for the lounge access.

But for overseas purchases, not great.
And for ezlink, am still linking it to maybank for the 4 miles. Not sure if 5% rebate is worth it.

I can't get the high tier Maybank cards (Maybank Premier Platinum MasterCard, Maybank Visa Infinite, Maybank World MasterCard and Maybank Catholic High Alumni Platinum Associates Card), so got to link it to ANZ.

Maybank need 2350 points for $10 voucher, that's 0.4255% rebate. 10x = 4.255% rebate, still lower than ANZ's 5% rebate, in addition to the Travel$/miles earned. If you intend to redeem the Travel$ to cash rebate, that would be total 7.55% rebate!!

Yes, ANZ Travel card is no good for overseas transactions. For overseas transactions use Citi PremierMiles VISA card. S$1 = 2 miles, unless its in A$ or NZ$, ANZ Travel card earn S$1 = 2.8 miles till 31 March 2014.

chongsss Mar 2, 14 7:30 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 22445525)
I've linked my EZlink card to UOB PPV to check reports that EZ-reload (not top-and-tap) earns 10X UNI$.

The statement is false. Neither Auto-reload nor top-and-tap earn 10x UNI$ on PPV. So all transactions related to EZlink earn only 1x UNI$.

Hi Invisible I checked my statement again and can confirm that EZ-reload earned 10X UNI$ on my UOB PPV.

lsed Mar 2, 14 10:45 am

Interesting. This was just recently?

invisible Mar 3, 14 8:56 am

Originally Posted by chongsss (Post 22446157)
Hi Invisible I checked my statement again and can confirm that EZ-reload earned 10X UNI$ on my UOB PPV.

Look, I am talking what I saw on web site two days ago. I do not have statement on my hand but I do not think anything would change because award of UNI$ is instant contrary to DBS Woman's.

yosithezet Mar 3, 14 11:50 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 22452353)
Look, I am talking what I saw on web site two days ago. I do not have statement on my hand but I do not think anything would change because award of UNI$ is instant contrary to DBS Woman's.

When will your statement arrive? :)

chongsss Mar 4, 14 7:34 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 22452353)

To put things into perspective, my Jan statement looks something like this:-

Amount due: 146.85 (include one transaction of EZ-reload)
UNI$ earned: 290

My Feb statement:

Amount due: 235.58 (include one transaction of EZ-reload)
UNI$ earned: 460

I logged in and checked the unbilled transactions:-

Amount used: 274.43 (include one transaction of EZ-reload)
UNI$ earned: 540 (difference between statement and online balance)

Hope this information is useful.

fern76 Mar 6, 14 7:08 pm

Just read through more than half of this forum and wow, you guys are good. Thank you for all the valuable input.

Was alr quite pleased with my and DH's own miles collection from cc (>250k a year inclusive of any bonuses given with annual fees) but I think I got to take a leaf out of this forum and rethink my cc spending strategy.

Gurus, please give me your opinions. :) TIA

Here is what I think I will do with my current stash off cards:

1. AMEX Plat Charge - Keep it for my 10 + 10 since it can give me about 120 k miles for 16k spend at selected retailers.

2. CIMB World MC - useless and keep for golfing privileges

3. Citibank PM - Use for overseas spend and ditch if miles given not worth annual fee when it is due

4. DBS Esso - Ditch cos useless

5. HSBC Infinite - Use for overseas spend and ditch if miles given not worth annual fee when it is due

6. Maybank World MC - only using it for the Shell fleet card they give us. Should I ditch it? Any other better options?

7. OCBC NTUC Card - Use to collect points but pay with UOB PPV if possible?

8. UOB PPV - So neglected over the past few years I don't even have the Paywave version. Gotta talk to UOB about that. Basically got to use this for EZ Link top up and online purchases?

Thinking of applying for:

1. ANZ Travel Card - use as back up since 1 mile is $0.72. Also can use the taxi pick up vouchers.

2. AMEX Rewards - Spend $1500 take the 24000 MR and then ditch it

3. AMEX Ascend - I have a big expenditure coming up so again spend $10k on this for 35000 miles and then ditch it.

4. DBS Women's card - Dislike banking with DBS but 1 mile for 25 cents online, I can do it. Shop online a lot. Felt a bit silly cos I just paid for airtickets on Zuji before I read this forum.... :(

5. HSBC Infinite - DH can get referral fee for every 2 new card members (gotta verify this again) and if I can get 45k miles, love it and ditch it?

There are so many other options, re: Citi Rewards (which I just gave up last year because I didn't use them at all) and the other UOB cards.

What should I do?

Thanks!!!

SQ319 Mar 6, 14 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by fern76 (Post 22477090)

4. DBS Women's card - Dislike banking with DBS but 1 mile for 25 cents online, I can do it. Shop online a lot. Felt a bit silly cos I just paid for airtickets on Zuji before I read this forum.... :(

If you shop online, you can use your PPV. It has the same earning ratio for online purchases ($1=4 miles)

You just have to call UOB and ask them to reissue you a new card with the Paywave function.

My strategy
PPV - Online and Paywave (including groceries and EZ-Reload, since it now earns 10X points)
Citibank Rewards - Any other shopping that is not online.
PP Amex - F&B
Maybank Horizon Platinum - Overseas
PRVI - Any other expenditure in locations which accept Amex.
ANZ Travel - Any other expenditure in locations which does not accept Amex

How that Horizon Platinum no longer does free conversion of points to miles, I need a new card to replace that, but thinking of a VA/MC card since Amex may not be as widely accepted and also the forex rate is not as favourable. Suggestions?

MilesBuzz Mar 7, 14 10:12 am

With the high forex fee for UOB PRVI card, will the Citibank PM or HSBC Infinite be any lower?

SingaporeDon Mar 7, 14 10:26 am

Originally Posted by fern76 (Post 22477090)

Thinking of applying for:

1. ANZ Travel Card - use as back up since 1 mile is $0.72. Also can use the taxi pick up vouchers.

2. AMEX Rewards - Spend $1500 take the 24000 MR and then ditch it

3. AMEX Ascend - I have a big expenditure coming up so again spend $10k on this for 35000 miles and then ditch it.

5. HSBC Infinite - DH can get referral fee for every 2 new card members (gotta verify this again) and if I can get 45k miles, love it and ditch it?

There are so many other options, re: Citi Rewards (which I just gave up last year because I didn't use them at all) and the other UOB cards.

What should I do?

Thanks!!!

Must get UOB PRIV AMEX for local spend

chrispstan Mar 9, 14 4:18 am

Changi Rewards

Changi Airport Group is introducing conversion of points to KrisFlyer miles for its Changi Rewards loyalty programme from 1 April. One condition is that the member must spend at least $4k a year at Changi. It will be interesting to see what the conversion rate is. This could mean more miles per $ spent in addition to what we chalk up with our credit cards. :p

tboons Mar 9, 14 7:14 am

4k a year is alot of money considering the limited range of products...

cmdsea Mar 9, 14 7:36 am

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 22490863)
4k a year is alot of money considering the limited range of products...

Though on a recent visit I was amazed to find you can now buy a washing machine on the top floor of Terminal 3 if you know where to look.. ;)

Awesom Andy Mar 9, 14 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 22490906)
Though on a recent visit I was amazed to find you can now buy a washing machine on the top floor of Terminal 3 if you know where to look.. ;)

Given the patronage (or the lack of which) in that shop, I don't expect it to be possible for much longer.

tboons Mar 9, 14 7:24 pm

Not everything is GST exempt though.