FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

SMK77 Feb 26, 14 3:27 am


Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22412411)
True, but I had calculated that the incremental miles are good enough to pay the slightly higher FX, especially with the additional 0.4 miles per $1 when I hit $50K spending. That said, foreign currency probably constitutes only 30% of my total PRVI spend though.

Do you mind sharing your calculation?

PRVI charges 3.25% on using your card abroad: Every 100 SGD means 3.25 SGD in fees on top.

In the US, any AMEX card comes with zero FX fees. In Singapore, the lowest fees should be around 1% for certain credit cards.

carrotjuice Feb 26, 14 7:18 am


Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 22418937)
Do you mind sharing your calculation?

PRVI charges 3.25% on using your card abroad: Every 100 SGD means 3.25 SGD in fees on top.

In the US, any AMEX card comes with zero FX fees. In Singapore, the lowest fees should be around 1% for certain credit cards.

The VISA card that I would otherwise use for foreign currency spends is Citi PM, which charges 2.5% fee, and earns 2 miles per S$1.

With AMEX PRVI, I will earn 2.9 miles per S$1 (2.5 miles from regular foreign currency spend + extra 0.4 miles when I hit S$50K spending and attain the 20K miles bonus)

So difference is 0.75% fee for additional 0.9 miles per S$1.

For every S$1,000 spend, I pay $7.50 for extra 900 miles. This works out to S$8.33 per 1,000 miles, which is cheaper than my usual value of S$20 per 1,000 miles but not by far the cheapest to "generate" miles.

But without my foreign currency spends (about 30% of my total spends on AMEX PRVI), I'm unable to hit S$50K spending threshold to get the 20K annual bonus, hence I perceive them as a "necessity" to help achieve this goal.

carrotjuice Feb 26, 14 7:24 am


Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 22400560)
So to swap CC for EZ-Reload I need to go to an MRT stop, cancel EZ-Reload, wait 7 days, then apply with the new card, and wait for it to be activated again?

You've described the process correctly... although I thought the waiting was shorter previously, circa 3 business days IIRC.

SQ319 Feb 26, 14 8:23 pm

Reminder for those who have Maybank Horizon Platinum Card - convert your treats points to miles for free by this Friday, before they start charging $25 from March onwards...

gummibar Feb 27, 14 1:06 am


Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 22425212)
Reminder for those who have Maybank Horizon Platinum Card - convert your treats points to miles for free by this Friday, before they start charging $25 from March onwards...

Thanks for reminding! I just converted what's left of my Treats.

With this $25 surcharge...is there a reason why I should stay with Maybank Horizon even though i kinda have it free for another 9 years?

vsepr Feb 27, 14 7:09 am


Originally Posted by gummibar (Post 22426661)
Thanks for reminding! I just converted what's left of my Treats.

With this $25 surcharge...is there a reason why I should stay with Maybank Horizon even though i kinda have it free for another 9 years?

You should just cancel all Maybank cards. Just like DBS cards, it getting worse and worse.

Another bad news related to Maybank Family & Friends Platinum MasterCard:

With effect from 1 April 2014, to enjoy the 5% cash rebate at selected merchant outlets on your Maybank Family & Friends Platinum MasterCard, a minimum spend amount of S$500 per month is required. Otherwise, the 0.3% cash rebate will apply.

http://info.maybank2u.com.sg/importa...nd-amount.aspx

Used to be no minimum spending to get the 5% cash rebate and 0.5% cash rebate for all other spend.

Please support Singapore's No.1 card for miles and cash rebate: ANZ Travel Card

http://www.anz.com/singapore/en/pers...s/travel-card/

tboons Feb 27, 14 4:52 pm

Yes. Going to cancel all maybank cards.

I use woman and prepaid to Fevo or Imagine for Singapore expenses, ANZ/citibank/PPV to support other purchases.

For overseas, I use DBS Altitude card for 2miles/dollar and Citibank for shopping.

vsepr Feb 28, 14 10:39 pm

Overseas transactions should use Citi PM VISA. Also 2 miles per S$1.

Cancel all DBS cards too. Now transfer to BOTH KrisFlyer & Asia Miles are in blocks of 20,000 miles. https://rewards.dbs.com/Home.aspx

Also, AMEX cards issued by AMEX Singapore like AMEX Rewards Card also can cancel too. No more 5x points on weekends in 2014.
https://www.americanexpress.com/sg/p...ivetimes.shtml

What is the world becoming? I miss the heydays of credit cards in Singapore back in 2007 to 2012, so many miles earning opportunities. After 2012, things start to change, banks becoming more and more stingy with points redemption and freebies.

Only ANZ Travel Card is the best!! Please support!! So many freebies, cash rebates and bonus miles!!
http://www.anz.com/singapore/en/pers...s/travel-card/

vsepr Mar 1, 14 5:20 am


Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 22214185)
You can refer to my signature for the list of what works and what doesn't for each type of card. I started the original list and it's been open up so others can add in their experiences. ^

Yue Hwa Chinese Products at Jurong Point and other branches also earn 10x points with Citi Rewards card. Updated the excel file. Merchant code: 5311 Department Stores

http://www.yuehwa.com.sg/en-us

I think I know why SingTel-MyBill and M1 Ltd Internet Payment (Merchant code: 4812 Telecommunications Equipment including telephone sales) earns 10x points with Citi Rewards Card.

Because the T&C excludes only "movies, electronics, food & beverage, travel, airline, government, brokerage/securities, insurance, tuition and online gambling websites." See point 3 in the attached PDF file: https://www.citibank.com.sg/global_d...wards_2013.pdf

vBox and Traffic Police online's Merchant code is 9399 Government Services ( Not Elsewhere Classified) hence do not earn 10x points.

Merchant code: 4812 Telecommunications Equipment including telephone sales is not in the exclude list of merchant codes, hence it earns 10x points with Citi Rewards Card!! It is treated like an online shopping merchant.

The list of merchant codes that officially earns 10x Citidollars with Citi Rewards Card are:
5621 – women ready to wear
5699 – accessories & apparel store, miscellaneous
5691 – men’s, women’s clothing store
5631 – women accessories & specialty store
5651 – family clothing store
5611 – men and boy’s clothing and accessories store
5655 – sports apparel & riding apparel store
5641 – children & infant wear store
5661 – shoe store
5948 – leather goods & luggage
5311 – departmental store

I made an online transaction at www.agoda.com with my ANZ Travel Card. The merchant code is 4722 Travel Agencies and Tour Operations. If I charge it to Citi Rewards Card, I'm 100% sure it will not earn 10x points because the T&C excludes travel websites.

lsed Mar 1, 14 7:06 am


Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 22439968)
Overseas transactions should use Citi PM VISA. Also 2 miles per S$1.

Cancel all DBS cards too. Now transfer to BOTH KrisFlyer & Asia Miles are in blocks of 20,000 miles. https://rewards.dbs.com/Home.aspx

On top of the min 20K needed to transfer, the 9X only gets posted on the 15th which means if you are at 19500 DBS Points and need the miles you still have to wait until the 15th for it to post.

Awesom Andy Mar 2, 14 1:09 am


Originally Posted by lsed (Post 22441209)
On top of the min 20K needed to transfer, the 9X only gets posted on the 15th which means if you are at 19500 DBS Points and need the miles you still have to wait until the 15th for it to post.

Or spend a few hundred dollars on another DBS card.

carrotjuice Mar 2, 14 1:29 am


Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 22439968)
Only ANZ Travel Card is the best!! Please support!! So many freebies, cash rebates and bonus miles!!
http://www.anz.com/singapore/en/pers...s/travel-card/

Your passion for ANZ Travel Card in this, and previous, threads - is palpable! Do you work for ANZ credit cards by any chance? :p

invisible Mar 2, 14 3:32 am

EZ-Link Autorelad with UOB PPV
 
I've linked my EZlink card to UOB PPV to check reports that EZ-reload (not top-and-tap) earns 10X UNI$.

The statement is false. Neither Auto-reload nor top-and-tap earn 10x UNI$ on PPV. So all transactions related to EZlink earn only 1x UNI$.

vsepr Mar 2, 14 5:20 am


Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22445295)
Your passion for ANZ Travel Card in this, and previous, threads - is palpable! Do you work for ANZ credit cards by any chance? :p

No.

It is really the most rewarding card in town, even better than Citibank!

Just charge S$1500 in 30 days and you get free limo voucher, 5% rebates for grocery and EZ-link, in addition to the usual miles you earn!! (OR S$600 if don't want limo voucher)

Or as a cashback card, every 275 Travel$ can redeem S$5 cashback, that's 2.55% rebate for ALL your spending anywhere!!

Unlimited free lounge access worldwide, without spending a single cent!!

One of the highest miles earning rate in town S$1=1.4 miles, cents taken into calculation before final round down to nearest mile!!

Reasonable miles transfer rate in blocks of 1,000 miles.

No other card in Singapore can match!!

SQueeze Mar 2, 14 5:53 am


Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 22445806)
No.

It is really the most rewarding card in town, even better than Citibank!

Just charge S$1500 in 30 days and you get free limo voucher, 5% rebates for grocery and EZ-link, in addition to the usual miles you earn!! (OR S$600 if don't want limo voucher)

Or as a cashback card, every 275 Travel$ can redeem S$5 cashback, that's 2.55% rebate for ALL your spending anywhere!!

Unlimited free lounge access worldwide, without spending a single cent!!

One of the highest miles earning rate in town S$1=1.4 miles, cents taken into calculation before final round down to nearest mile!!

Reasonable miles transfer rate in blocks of 1,000 miles.

No other card in Singapore can match!!

Agree that this is a must-have card for general use in Singapore and I love the limo transfer and the lounge access. I will keep the card even if just for the lounge access.

But for overseas purchases, not great.
And for ezlink, am still linking it to maybank for the 4 miles. Not sure if 5% rebate is worth it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:17 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.