FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

SQ319 Dec 23, 2013 2:43 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 22005190)
As far as UOB goes, the cards to use locally are as follows:

Thanks for this.

But I'm curious about this...

For Online transactions incuding travel "(only applicable to the first S$2,000 online retail spend every calendar month")

Use DBS Woman's MasterCard® Card
Earn 4 miles for every S$1 spend
What if you are not female???

MilesBuzz Dec 23, 2013 7:28 am

I am just curious...for non-airline online travel booking, i.e. online hotel booking on SPG or IHG website (on a prepaid rate), will they also accrue 4 miles/S$1 on PPV as well?

I tried booking using the PRVI last week on a prepaid rate booked online and I was charged the amount before I even checked in to the hotel! I even received an SMS notification about this charge! So, I could technically use the PPV and maybe could get 4 miles/S$1? That would be very very tempting indeed....

Awesom Andy Dec 23, 2013 7:51 am

Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 22014401)

The bank doesn't care. Although you probably wouldn't be carrying it around.

SingaporeDon Dec 23, 2013 8:31 am

Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 22014401)
Thanks for this.

But I'm curious about this...

1. DBS does not care
2. As Awesom Andy mentioned, you don't carry it around, as you use it for online transctions only
3. I have stuck a white label on the top of the card which conveniently cover's the word, and also lets me keep track of the monthly $2,000 cap as I scribble the amounts spent there!

SingaporeDon Dec 23, 2013 8:37 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 22015219)
I am just curious...for non-airline online travel booking, i.e. online hotel booking on SPG or IHG website (on a prepaid rate), will they also accrue 4 miles/S$1 on PPV as well?

I tried booking using the PRVI last week on a prepaid rate booked online and I was charged the amount before I even checked in to the hotel! I even received an SMS notification about this charge! So, I could technically use the PPV and maybe could get 4 miles/S$1? That would be very very tempting indeed....

Unfortunately Bonus does not apply to travel charges

"Such online merchants include merchants that fall within the categories of bookstores, cinemas, entertainment, electronics, fast food, music and retail shopping, and
excludes all
airline, travel, government, utilities, telecommunications, brokerage/securities, insurance, education/tuition, online money transfers and online gambling websites "

SingaporeDon Dec 23, 2013 8:41 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 22015511)
Unfortunately Bonus does not apply to travel charges

"Such online merchants include merchants that fall within the categories of bookstores, cinemas, entertainment, electronics, fast food, music and retail shopping, and
excludes all
airline, travel, government, utilities, telecommunications, brokerage/securities, insurance, education/tuition, online money transfers and online gambling websites "

You are better of using DBS Woman's card for online travel, but unfortunately the bonus is capped at S$1,000 spend per months

"The additional 4X DBS Points are only applicable to the first S$1,000 online retail spend every calendar month"

lcpteck Dec 23, 2013 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 22015544)
You are better of using DBS Woman's card for online travel, but unfortunately the bonus is capped at S$1,000 spend per months

"The additional 4X DBS Points are only applicable to the first S$1,000 online retail spend every calendar month"

That's for the Platinum Card.

It's 9x DBS points for first S$2k online spend if you're holding the World Card.

lcpteck Dec 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 22015306)
The bank doesn't care. Although you probably wouldn't be carrying it around.

I do carry it around in my wallet though I have had funny looks when I went to the bank to do some admin stuff on the card. :D

carrotjuice Dec 23, 2013 4:47 pm

Received a text message yesterday that all my ANZ Christmas promo bonus Travel$ up to 1 Dec have been credited - every single transaction! ^

vsepr Dec 23, 2013 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 22017946)
Received a text message yesterday that all my ANZ Christmas promo bonus Travel$ up to 1 Dec have been credited - every single transaction! ^

Yup! Me too!! All transactions = or >$100 with the SMS all get!!:D

ANZ Travel Card is Singapore's no.1 card for cashback and miles!!

MilesBuzz Dec 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Look's like I do have to apply for the DBS Women World Card to take advantage of the online travel (mostly hotel) bookings I am committed to in the next few months. That despite the devaluation of the DBS points that many have been complaining here. Hmm.....quite a dilemma.

vsepr Dec 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 22014288)
i would prefer ANZ because i realised that many cafes/small chain restaurants do not accept amex.

ANZ is 1.4/$ and UOB Amex is 1.6 for other spend, but is every $5... so rounding errors, things are the same and ANZ more widely accepted

with 2.8miles for flight booking, its the most generous among the different credit cards?

Exactly!! Many people overlooked this important fact about the 2 cards!!

ANZ Travel card is Singapore's no.1 card for miles and cashback!!

Archieflyer Dec 23, 2013 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 22014288)
ANZ is 1.4/$ and UOB Amex is 1.6 for other spend, but is every $5... so rounding errors, things are the same and ANZ more widely accepted

with 2.8miles for flight booking, its the most generous among the different credit cards?

While it is true that ANZ is the most widely accepted, rounding errors can hardly account for the 0.2 miles/$. For small amounts, you might get more with one card over another, depending on rounding error. For large amounts, even with rounding errors, you will always get more with UOB card.

The 2.8 miles for flight booking is a promo which may or may not be extended next year. Note that in it's first year, ANZ card did not have the 2.8 miles for flight booking but gave 2.8 miles for all overseas transactions. Also, it did not apply to existing cardmembers originally, but only to new members. The T&Cs were amended later on.

Anyway, as noted already, for flight bookings, DBS Woman's Card can give more miles.

This is not to say that this card isn't good. If you only want one card in your wallet, this is probably the one I would recommend. I would also recommend this card for those who use a variety card to maximise miles (as the back up to UOB PRVI Amex where Amex is not accepted).

I would hardly describe it as the most generous of all cards when you also have so many other cards that award more miles for very general uses, eg UOB PPV gives 4 miles/$ for all paywave transactions.

tboons Dec 24, 2013 3:11 am

Yes, may not be the best but if you want only 1 card, then yes, it's the most ideal for me. Maybe I should ask my mum to apply the DBS ladies card haha.

Can a guy apply for that?

Awesom Andy Dec 24, 2013 4:40 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 22018492)
Look's like I do have to apply for the DBS Women World Card to take advantage of the online travel (mostly hotel) bookings I am committed to in the next few months. That despite the devaluation of the DBS points that many have been complaining here. Hmm.....quite a dilemma.

Be mindful that a lot of the direct hotel chain websites would have the payments sent to the actual hotel for offline processing - in which case, it does not qualify for the extra points.

However, online travel agents such as Agoda, Expedia, etc, certainly qualify.