FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lcpteck Sep 20, 13 3:01 am


Originally Posted by davide13 (Post 21474406)
Yes I would pay every flight, if it is SQ or any another airline, with the credit card.

Firstly, welcome to the forum and Singapore! How long would you be staying here?

What fare classes would you be flying on? Y or J or mixture of Y and J? Just trying to see how much you'll be spending on a per trip basis so can make use some of the complimentary limousine services and other perks. But of course if your company is paying for the ground transport as well, then we can just look for the best card for miles accumulation. :)

There are also cards that can earn mileage via groceries and general shopping. You can actually refer to the first post that aster provided some very good info for starters.

lcpteck Sep 20, 13 3:06 am


Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 21474029)
It's the DBS Altitude Visa Card.

It should work. On the AXS machine, you should first be looking to press on the DBS button, not the SP Services button.

MilesBuzz Sep 20, 13 4:31 am


Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 21474679)
It should work. On the AXS machine, you should first be looking to press on the DBS button, not the SP Services button.

Oh..okay. I will try this service again then by pressing on the DBS button. Thanks for the tips :)

davide13 Sep 20, 13 4:33 am

Thanks for welcoming me!

I will be staying in Singapore for apx. 3-4 years and guess I will be flying a mixture of Y and J whenever the tickets for SQ are not too expensive. Unfortunately my company will neither be paying for flights nor for ground transportation :(

vsepr Sep 21, 13 7:10 am

This is how DBS Singapore appreciate your loyalty for the DBS Altitude Cards:

Please note that with effect from 2 September 2013, miles transfers are effected in blocks of 10,000 DBS Points to 20,000 KrisFlyer miles.

20,000 KrisFlyer Miles
10000 DBS Points
Code : 951
Valid Till 30-Jun-2014

No change for Asia Miles.
10,000 Asia Miles
5000 DBS Points
Code : 952
Valid Till 30-Jun-2014

https://rewards.dbs.com/Home.aspx

My eyes nearly popped out when I saw the change!!

I guess KrisFlyer is too popular for DBS cardmembers to transfer their points to and its too easy to earn DBS points.

qwerty23 Sep 21, 13 9:04 am

no more DBS pts for bill payment at AXS:mad::mad::mad:


http://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/cards/faq/rewards.page

Are there any transactions that don't earn points?

DBS Points will not be awarded for online/iBanking bill payment transactions, fund transfer transactions, cash advances, annual fees, interest, late payment charges, all fees charged by DBS, instalment payment plans, preferred payment plans and other miscellaneous charges imposed by DBS (unless otherwise stated in writing by DBS).

With effect from 1 October 2013, Bill Payments using a DBS Credit Card via the AXS terminals will cease to earn DBS Points.

lcpteck Sep 21, 13 12:52 pm


Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 21480304)
This is how DBS Singapore appreciate your loyalty for the DBS Altitude Cards:

Please note that with effect from 2 September 2013, miles transfers are effected in blocks of 10,000 DBS Points to 20,000 KrisFlyer miles.

20,000 KrisFlyer Miles
10000 DBS Points
Code : 951
Valid Till 30-Jun-2014

No change for Asia Miles.
10,000 Asia Miles
5000 DBS Points
Code : 952
Valid Till 30-Jun-2014

https://rewards.dbs.com/Home.aspx

My eyes nearly popped out when I saw the change!!

I guess KrisFlyer is too popular for DBS cardmembers to transfer their points to and its too easy to earn DBS points.

Another news is DBS Cards don't earn points on bill payment/income tax payment anymore. :(

lcpteck Sep 21, 13 1:08 pm


Originally Posted by davide13 (Post 21474880)
Thanks for welcoming me!

I will be staying in Singapore for apx. 3-4 years and guess I will be flying a mixture of Y and J whenever the tickets for SQ are not too expensive. Unfortunately my company will neither be paying for flights nor for ground transportation :(

How about these 2 cards?

UOB PRVI Miles Platinum Amex - Earns 1.6miles/$ Free limousine service to the airport if more than $500 (per transaction) for the air ticket/hotel.

DBS Woman's World Mastercard - Most miles earned at 4miles/$. Must be an online transaction though.

As mentioned, do look at the first post as well.

percysmith Sep 21, 13 5:06 pm


Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 21481614)
Another news is DBS Cards don't earn points on bill payment/income tax payment anymore. :(

Just curious, can you overpay your taxes before the rule change?

In HK we regularly overpay our bills for miles. This is exacerbated by one bill payment bank (Fubon) setting a minimum of HK$300 for bills.

About 10 years ago some folks regularly paid $10 million into their IRD (IRAS) accounts then demanded a refund from the IRD, the IRD realised what was going on and made the refund process a lot more painful and notified the banks of taxpayers/cardholders who did this.

However these days we just overpay our tax and other bills if there's a good enough promo on and not demand a refund - use the Cr balance to meet future bills (obviously we have to have some money in our hands earning little return to do this).

Worthwhile for DBS AXS payments before they stop awarding points for AXS?

vsepr Sep 21, 13 7:09 pm


Originally Posted by qwerty23 (Post 21480603)
no more DBS pts for bill payment at AXS:mad::mad::mad:


http://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/cards/faq/rewards.page

Citibank is the ONLY card that lets you earn points for bill payment at AXS machines.

POSB Everyday card still lets you earn 0.3% cashback for all AXS machines bill payment.

http://www.posb.com.sg/personal/card...s/default.page

Seems like every year DBS is increasing the blocks of miles to be transferred by 2x. From 500 miles in 2007 to 20000 in 2013. I think in a few years time it will increase to 100,000 miles per block.

lingua101 Sep 21, 13 8:46 pm


Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 21482826)
Citibank is the ONLY card that lets you earn points for bill payment at AXS machines.

POSB Everyday card still lets you earn 0.3% cashback for all AXS machines bill payment.

http://www.posb.com.sg/personal/card...s/default.page

Seems like every year DBS is increasing the blocks of miles to be transferred by 2x. From 500 miles in 2007 to 20000 in 2013. I think in a few years time it will increase to 100,000 miles per block.

But citibank has less merchant compare to dbs.does it mean posb will still earn 0,3% after 1oct?

vsepr Sep 21, 13 9:38 pm


Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 21483165)
But citibank has less merchant compare to dbs.does it mean posb will still earn 0,3% after 1oct?

No. I just called the card centre. POSB Everyday card will NOT earn 0.3% cashback for AXS transactions after 01 Oct also. Their website didn't put any notice.

Yes. Citibank does not have NTUC Income, SP Services and IRAS.

vsepr Sep 21, 13 11:33 pm


Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 21481684)
How about these 2 cards?

UOB PRVI Miles Platinum Amex - Earns 1.6miles/$ Free limousine service to the airport if more than $500 (per transaction) for the air ticket/hotel.

DBS Woman's World Mastercard - Most miles earned at 4miles/$. Must be an online transaction though.

As mentioned, do look at the first post as well.

Yes...DBS Woman's World Mastercard lets you earn 4 miles/$ for online transactions. But they need to transfer in blocks of 20,000 miles to KrisFlyer now. If you cannot create that block of miles to transfer, you are not earning any miles.

UOB transfers in blocks of 10,000 miles too.

Please take note of such blind spots. Earning rates maybe very attractive. But when it comes to transferring to miles, it gets harder & harder to create that block to convert as miles, unless you are a very big spender. We must strike a balance between the miles earning rate and the transfer to miles rate, otherwise no matter how good the miles earning rate is, you cannot create that block to transfer to the airline, you are not earning any miles.

lcpteck Sep 22, 13 3:02 am


Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 21483639)
Yes...DBS Woman's World Mastercard lets you earn 4 miles/$ for online transactions. But they need to transfer in blocks of 20,000 miles to KrisFlyer now. If you cannot create that block of miles to transfer, you are not earning any miles.

UOB transfers in blocks of 10,000 miles too.

Please take note of such blind spots. Earning rates maybe very attractive. But when it comes to transferring to miles, it gets harder & harder to create that block to convert as miles, unless you are a very big spender. We must strike a balance between the miles earning rate and the transfer to miles rate, otherwise no matter how good the miles earning rate is, you cannot create that block to transfer to the airline, you are not earning any miles.

Agreed. ^

tboons Sep 22, 13 5:38 am

Charge travel related stuff to Maybank Horizon. Easiest scheme to work with.

Can I combine my UNI$ from different credit card into one account?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:40 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.