FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

landingpoint Aug 2, 2013 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by chrispstan (Post 21103206)
My apologies if this was previously addressed. Has anyone had any luck using Paywave with the UOB PPV card at a petrol kiosk to earn 10x UNI$? I tried doing so at SPC but was told that the terminal for UOB cards was not connected to the Paywave terminal. I could use Visa or MC (Paypass) by other banks but not UOB. How strange.

Hi I had the same experience as you, tried to use UOB paywave at SPC, was told that it still had to be swiped (cannot do contactless transaction). However it might be the case that some outlets are able to do so.
So I now resort to topping up petrol only Friday to Sunday (Amex 5x UNI$)

Archieflyer Aug 3, 2013 8:15 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 21174705)
Just some quick questions:

1. Do I need to have a device to top-up my Ezlink card online (using CC)?

2. I used my DBS Altitude Visa to pay for SP Services & Star Hub bills this morning. I assume these transactions are earning points and DBS is the only bank that offers online bill payments that accrue points?

3. What about if I use the card to pay for other CC bills? Will those transactions be earning points as well?

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 21202641)
Was checking my DBS Altitude reward pts this morning and it seems that the points for SP Services (S$515, paid on 30 July 2013) have yet to be reflected in my account. The points balance is still only 153 when in fact, the transaction for SP Services alone will have accrued me double that balance. Hmm....

I'm guessing that you paid for your bills using the DBS Online Banking site?

If yes, than that explains it as charges to the card through DBS Online Banking site does not accrue points.

If you are looking to get points on DBS Altitude card for SP Service & Starhub, you can have your monthly bill charged to the card by submitting this form (http://www.dbs.com.sg/Resources/pers...onsentform.pdf).

cmdsea Aug 3, 2013 8:54 am

Or pay at an AXS machine...

yosithezet Aug 5, 2013 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 21182153)
Try a different computer if possible, could be a java problem on your machine.

On another note, I also can't display the java app from my office internet but is ok on an alternate internet connection (bypassing the company firewall), seems like the firewall blocked certain ports which the java app needs.

So finally found a machine where it would work. But it put me through the process without entering a credit card. Assumed they retained the previous CC. Went to an OCBC machine and said there is nothing to update.:confused:

On another note, if anyone uses the Maybank SG mobile banking app, can you please PM me? I need a favor.

tranceaty Aug 6, 2013 9:12 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 21221789)
So finally found a machine where it would work. But it put me through the process without entering a credit card. Assumed they retained the previous CC. Went to an OCBC machine and said there is nothing to update.:confused:

On another note, if anyone uses the Maybank SG mobile banking app, can you please PM me? I need a favor.

Did you enable pop up? A pop up shd appear for keying in cc info.

carrotjuice Aug 6, 2013 4:12 pm

Rant alert - UOB limo service

I happen to be a person who likes to plan my holidays in advance... sometimes I book 5-10 months ahead.

But UOB limo booking for PRVI AMEX requires a travel related transaction max 3 months ahead of limo date. Sure, this is in the terms and conditions that you have to "agree" when you submit the booking online... but surely it's a senseless one because it effectively penalizes cardholders that plan their travel ahead of time! :mad:

I suspect this stupid rule is put in place because operations only is asked to verify the travel related spend from latest 3 months' history (presumably, because that's more easily accessible on their system, as opposed to having to restore prior months' card history).

Again, a convenience that UOB gives to itself, while disregarding the needs of the cardholder. :td:

And as a result, all my travel booking now go to ANZ Visa Signature with its 2.8 miles per S$1.

saerogenta13 Aug 7, 2013 9:14 pm

hi, citibank premier miles is offering 10,000 bonus citimiles for it's membership fee of S$180. Would you think it's worth the money?

aster Aug 8, 2013 12:54 am

Definitely worth it IMO, unless you already have more miles than you can burn and have no need for more. :)

I might even get the PremierMiles card myself. Not that I find it worth using, but sticking it in a drawer just to top off my KF account with 10k miles each year for S$180 seems like a deal.

chrispstan Aug 8, 2013 4:47 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21234882)
Definitely worth it IMO, unless you already have more miles than you can burn and have no need for more. :)

I might even get the PremierMiles card myself. Not that I find it worth using, but sticking it in a drawer just to top off my KF account with 10k miles each year for S$180 seems like a deal.

Do note that the $180 is before GST. So total annual fee is $192.60 for 10,000 miles or 1.93 cents per mile. Pretty decent for those looking to top up. And far cheaper than what SIA sells.

Other cards with bonus miles for annual fees include the ANZ Travel Card, DBS Altitude (Visa and Amex), HSBC Visa Infinite and Citibank Prestige. Have I missed any?

SingaporeDon Aug 8, 2013 11:39 am

Originally Posted by landingpoint (Post 21205931)
Hi I had the same experience as you, tried to use UOB paywave at SPC, was told that it still had to be swiped (cannot do contactless transaction). However it might be the case that some outlets are able to do so.
So I now resort to topping up petrol only Friday to Sunday (Amex 5x UNI$)

If your petrol bill is more than $100, you will have to swipe and sign instead of pay via paywave, as the limit for paywave is $100 per transaction. May be that is why your UOB paywave did not work???

aster Aug 9, 2013 7:02 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 21237572)
If your petrol bill is more than $100, you will have to swipe and sign instead of pay via paywave, as the limit for paywave is $100 per transaction. May be that is why your UOB paywave did not work???

Banks have been guilty of confusing customers here about Paywave. Some state transactions up to $100, some mention below $100. Even I have no idea if an even $100 would go through...

aster Aug 9, 2013 7:13 am

Originally Posted by chrispstan (Post 21235482)
Do note that the $180 is before GST. So total annual fee is $192.60 for 10,000 miles or 1.93 cents per mile. Pretty decent for those looking to top up. And far cheaper than what SIA sells.

Other cards with bonus miles for annual fees include the ANZ Travel Card, DBS Altitude (Visa and Amex), HSBC Visa Infinite and Citibank Prestige. Have I missed any?

I think my new strategy with CCs will be to have the ones that are absolutely vital to my spending pattern, which are the UOB PPV and DBS World MC (the Womens' one), and then add all cards which will pay for any renewal fees with miles just in case they come in handy.

Currently I also pay for a serviced apartment using a CC which is a huge miles-generator, but when that stops I think I'll switch my non-internet, non-paywave spend to something like the ANZ Travel Card. 1.4 miles/$ and no rounding down of each transaction whatsoever. Seems very decent for local spend. Just wish they would finally allow people to be able to check their card online instead of just waiting for paper statements each time...

tranceaty Aug 10, 2013 8:00 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21242279)
I think my new strategy with CCs will be to have the ones that are absolutely vital to my spending pattern, which are the UOB PPV and DBS World MC (the Womens' one), and then add all cards which will pay for any renewal fees with miles just in case they come in handy.

Currently I also pay for a serviced apartment using a CC which is a huge miles-generator, but when that stops I think I'll switch my non-internet, non-paywave spend to something like the ANZ Travel Card. 1.4 miles/$ and no rounding down of each transaction whatsoever. Seems very decent for local spend. Just wish they would finally allow people to be able to check their card online instead of just waiting for paper statements each time...

Are you paying your apartment using DBS Altitude? Just curious...

aster Aug 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by tranceaty (Post 21247820)
Are you paying your apartment using DBS Altitude? Just curious...

Yes. I probably should have applied for a UOB Amex Privi card, but as I need a regular card (Visa/MC) for other everyday matters I decided to stick with the Altitude one. In hindsight though I should have taken the Privi and switched to the ANZ Travel Card for everything else.

This of course in addition to the UOB PPV (the only must-have card in Singapore :) ) and the DBS World MC ("Women's" card).

tranceaty Aug 11, 2013 7:49 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21250555)
Yes. I probably should have applied for a UOB Amex Privi card, but as I need a regular card (Visa/MC) for other everyday matters I decided to stick with the Altitude one. In hindsight though I should have taken the Privi and switched to the ANZ Travel Card for everything else.

This of course in addition to the UOB PPV (the only must-have card in Singapore :) ) and the DBS World MC ("Women's" card).

I would think that your current strategy works fine. Your altitude would most probably attain 1.6 miles/$ for all your everyday spending (except those with UOB PPV & DBS Woman of course), and this is more than ANZ travel.

I have recently applied for UOB PPV (too good a card to miss), but waited for about a week and still not in my mailbox, probably due to the long weekend.