Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Drunk young OZ lad in SQ BCN - SIN flight (yesterday?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drunk young OZ lad in SQ BCN - SIN flight (yesterday?)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Do they still give canings in Singapore?..
Only for very grave offenses such as vandalism, rape or sexual coercion. Not for playing idiot on a plane - it really take a lot to upset the Singaporean authorities, they are much nicer than Western media tries to make them look.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by weero
Only for very grave offenses such as vandalism, rape or sexual coercion. Not for playing idiot on a plane - it really take a lot to upset the Singaporean authorities, they are much nicer than Western media tries to make them look.
That's too bad. In this case, the caning and accompanying public humiliation would be very good punishment for this git.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:44 am

That's too bad. In this case, the caning and accompanying public humiliation would be very good punishment for this git.
They wouldn't cane him in public anyway .

And I think that the legal matter here would actually be too complex for a clear cut corporal punishment. Especially if the reports that the crew used excessive force are corroborated, then everyone will be happy that matter was resolved quickly and quietly.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:18 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
If this guy got caned he would not be able to fly for weeks or months. At least not in the seated position.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Where do you get the idea from that I'd allow my spawn to behave that way? There is no way in the world, they'd get away with misbehaving in public.

That is exactly the point: the SQ folks don't take any action because the little terrorist doesn't bother them. Whereas the Aussie drunkard did. So they only take action when it "does them a favour". Whereas of course good service does comprise taking care of all the pax, not just the ones with an inflated sense of entitlement.

As for LH crews, I am certain you simply lack the experience. They told a young couple not to whistle or sing during a night flight

Interesting that you find more entertainment in SIN than in ZRH or GVA.
I'm certain you would be muuuuuuch more tolerant of the kids around you though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

I fail to grasp the comparison between a kid who can't sit on his behind to a drunken idiot threatening passengers and crew and trying to open the emergency exit in-flight.

In terms of service nothing beats SQ and we both know that. On a night flight to SYD I have seen a FA ask two gentlemen who were talking rather loudly (nobody would have noticed on a day flight) if they could tone their voices down a bit so that others could sleep. Kind of disproves your theory of anything goes on SQ... so maybe your experience on SQ can be compared to mine on LH?

Odd to hear about a couple whistling and singing at night on your LH flight. What were they doing, karaoke? Or was it the result of too much fermented grape juice?

As for entertainment in SIN and ZRH/GVA, you couldn't find a greater contrast. One is a vibrant, international city with loads of stuff going on all the time, day or night, the other a very quiet place where even finding a few good bars can be an issue. Mind you this was like 10+ years ago so maybe things have changed and people actually go out at night. I do think CH is a great place in winter though, loved Saas-Fee.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: confidential

A bit OT.

They still however put death penalty for anyone even in transit who is caught with narcotics in their possession. And for such a person, they make it a point to ensure not even handshakes can be made between family members. That case happened a few years back involving coincidentally an aussie.

So no, they can be cruel when they want to and they make use of such opportunities to demonstrate to people that they know who's the boss.

As for this oz lad incident, it should be noted that its not the first time such flight disturbances have been reported in the media about SQ.

If its once or twice, you would think yeah, blame the passenger. Its the passenger's fault always. But its now a repeated incident.

And no attempts have been made to do PR damage control.

I'm not sure what to even think.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by ONLY_no_One
As for this oz lad incident, it should be noted that its not the first time such flight disturbances have been reported in the media about SQ.

If its once or twice, you would think yeah, blame the passenger. Its the passenger's fault always. But its now a repeated incident.
Oh my, so whose fault is it... SIA's?

Drunken idiot boards plane, goes berserk... and the lunatic in question is the innocent guy here who's being persecuted?

Come on, April 1st is a fortnight away... save this stuff for later.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by aster
I'm certain you would be muuuuuuch more tolerant of the kids around you though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
I am already much more tolerant to kids than I was 10 years ago . But that is besides the point, I don't want to reprimand the kids, I want the parents to be told off. Very different issue.
I fail to grasp the comparison between a kid who can't sit on his behind to a drunken idiot threatening passengers and crew and trying to open the emergency exit in-flight.
So do I. But I see a strong link between an incapable couple who stir their kids and make them nervous and are loud themselves and a noisy drinker.

Attacking other pax is yet another level, even I would agree on that. The exit door thing doesn't bother me though. As they are neither armed nor can they be opened at altitude. So I am always prone to believe that it is used as a generic accusation to outline how vicious the perpetrator was.
In terms of service nothing beats SQ and we both know that.
Well I prefer NH, JL, and OZ service wise. And I do not value robotic service limited to 'the book' as much as you do. But we both know that.
.. so maybe your experience on SQ can be compared to mine on LH?
Sure. Well possible.
Odd to hear about a couple whistling and singing at night on your LH flight. What were they doing, karaoke? Or was it the result of too much fermented grape juice?
No. They tried to entertain their infant heir.
As for entertainment in SIN and ZRH/GVA, you couldn't find a greater contrast. One is a vibrant, international city with loads of stuff going on all the time, day or night, the other a very quiet place where even finding a few good bars can be an issue. Mind you this was like 10+ years ago so maybe things have changed and people actually go out at night.
I don't think it changed much .. I am there all the time. It hence is a cultural difference: in a place where there's a lake and a mountain, two real rivers, and several valleys .. I'd never go to a bar for entertainment. So in my years in ZRH, I have never been to one, only much later for a FlyerTalk DO and a Lufthansa dinner .
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
What an entertaining thread! Especially given how animated the video is -- rivals the recent AA mistake fare thread for pure entertainment value -- although that one for different reasons, obviously.

Two quick points though:
1. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see anything in the original story about drug use -- so what is the point of bringing it up? Drunk is drunk and obviously bad enough in mid-flight; but anything further seems like just idle speculation at this point.
2. Assuming there are charges to be brought against this individual, where could they be brought? Unless the actual offenses alleged took place in SIN airspace, do the authorities there have jurisdiction at all? Interesting legal question, and I do NOT know the answer; if there were any actual property damage or personal injury inflicted on others, would the answer be different? Would the proper venue be India or Maylasia or whatever country's airspace was impacted, or still SIN as the point of debarkation or where the property (the metal etc.) is domiciled? And what if the offense takes place over open seas in nobody's territory? Now THAT is discussion that can make this thread last for months with learned input from all the lawyers here!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by ONLY_no_One
A bit OT.

They still however put death penalty for anyone even in transit who is caught with narcotics in their possession. And for such a person, they make it a point to ensure not even handshakes can be made between family members. That case happened a few years back involving coincidentally an aussie.
The famous 2004 case, I remember, with the courier from Cabramatta. You need significantly more than 'your personal allowance' of hard or medium-hard drugs in order to be eligible for the death penalty. So most Westerners - who keep doing this despite better knowledge - get tolerable jail terms.

There was a lot of controversy in Oz at that time because of statistical claims that Singa would never execute someone from a large, influential country. Citizens of the US, Germany, and Russia had their sentences being downgraded to jail terms before the Oz case. And the media printed readers' opinions that Ng only got the capital punishment because he was Asian Australian.
Perception aside, he also was clearly a pusher and not a consumer which might have triggered the hard stance.

And no attempts have been made to do PR damage control.

I'm not sure what to even think.
If we were talking about a North American carrier, I'd be with you. The grumpy FAs very often are on a power trip and plenty abuse their Lincolnesque powers awarded to them by 9/11. But on SIA? I have refused to obey crew instructions on numerous occasions and no one even mentioned physical force. If anything, they should be more strict with rogue passengers.

Sure it could happen in these modern times but it is yet far from a pattern, let alone PR damage. After all the clown made it real easy for everyone on board to hate him.

I used to commute on the late SYD-PER a lot and I am sure we had incidents with drunks on every second flight, once even with a whole lady cricket team. So it does happen on those routes. If anything, I found that the crews consistently cut them off late and were always on the lenient side.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Serves him right. If only he would remove himself from the gene pool too.
Oh so right! ^
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
NO THANKS, we dont want him here either . We have enough of those already!

If he is found to have drugs on his person or under the influence, I would expect he will die in a Singapore jail. As another poster said, he really did pick the wrong country to get all messy with .
Are all Autralians a rowdy bunch? I mean look at all the racial violence in Australia, now they want to bring it onboard planes.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Well it is now a couple of weeks since the initial post. Is there any news about what happened to our young anti-hero when the plane landed; and by the way, would still appreciate any thoughts on whether the SIN authorities would have jurisdiction even if they wanted to press charges, that is the really interesting issue raised here, not how some young Aussies behave.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by time2go1st
..would still appreciate any thoughts on whether the SIN authorities would have jurisdiction even if they wanted to press charges, that is the really interesting issue raised here, not how some young Aussies behave.
I strongly disagree - this is just some bizarre though. It is their plane and their airport and their country. So I doubt that they are worried if they are in charge just because you think some sky-court or air-court should decide on the issue.

Plus they already sentenced him, so how could this possibly still be a question?

Did the US hand over the shoe- and the panty-bomber to the legislation of the Atlantic Ocean???

Last edited by weero; Mar 21, 2010 at 9:18 pm
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:01 pm

Two weeks free stay in Singapore (albeit with no aircon) was the sentence I believe. Curious how he got home after that: plane or boat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.