Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ Decreases KUL Capacity Further (MI Taking Over More Flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Decreases KUL Capacity Further (MI Taking Over More Flights)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Thumbs down SQ Decreases KUL Capacity Further (MI Taking Over More Flights)

SQ will further decrease its capacity to Kuala Lumpur beginning January 2010. MI will take over another daily frequency operated by SQ thereby cutting SQ’s frequency to KUL to only 17 a week! The new SQ schedule effective January 2010 is as below:

SIN-KUL:
SQ 106, 0835-0930, D X67
SQ 116, 1700-1755, D X67
SQ 118, 1845-1940, D

KUL-SIN:
SQ 107, 1025-1120, D X67
SQ 117, 1850-1945, D X67
SQ 119, 2030-2125, D

The biggest SOL in this reduced capacity seems to be anyone on *A award travel as there is only 1 flight a day during the weekends! Anyone who arrives on a weekend morning now need to spend a good 10-12 hours at SIN!

Edited: It appears that SQ 106 have been zeroed out as well - looks like SQ's frequency might only be down to 12 a week!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like SQ is phasing KUL out. Is there any announcement or is this just by reading the schedule?

Last edited by TerryK; Dec 7, 2009 at 10:54 am
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP
With Air Asia, Jetstar, and Tiger offering seats on this route for US$20-30, the yield has gone done the drain. If I were SQ, I'd withdraw from this route or let Silk Air run it to keep the frequency.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:32 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
http://www.btimes.com.my/articles/20...84300/Article/

SQ 17 flights/week
MI 37 flights/week
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:15 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
If MI were part of * alliance this would not be a big deal at all. It's a shame they're not.

But really on a short sector like SIN-KUL, who needs SQ anyway? Smaller plane = quicker disembarkation.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lokijuh
If MI were part of * alliance this would not be a big deal at all. It's a shame they're not.

But really on a short sector like SIN-KUL, who needs SQ anyway? Smaller plane = quicker disembarkation.
But if you are connecting through Singapore, can you have SQ check your luggage through to another airline?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
With Air Asia, Jetstar, and Tiger offering seats on this route for US$20-30, the yield has gone done the drain. If I were SQ, I'd withdraw from this route or let Silk Air run it to keep the frequency.
I am fine with that as long as SilkAir is available for *A redemption and passengers on SilkAir are given the same privilege as SQ passengers (e.g. KF lounge access etc.). It's only a 55-minute flight after all.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:38 pm

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
This is really bad The problem is Silkair is not really reliable in terms of punctuality. I had so many cases of late arrival and aircraft problem on the SIN-KUL sector in the last 6 months. Even the staff in Changi airport confirmed the problem. Silkair seems to be short of aircraft and staff... On top of it you can't use the TG lounge (*G) in KL anymore if it is a Silkair flight.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:32 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
This is a good analogy to airline deregulation in the USA: more people can fly but service levels worsen for everyone. Silkair is no Singapore Airlines.

(I will however say that after 2 weeks in Burma, boarding Silkair in Rangoon felt like being back in the lap of luxury.)
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Braniff
This is a good analogy to airline deregulation in the USA: more people can fly but service levels worsen for everyone. Silkair is no Singapore Airlines.
If you take away ground experiences (such as ability to interline and baggage transfer to airlines other than SQ) and star alliance benefits, in the air how can you say it makes a difference flying SQ over MI on a sector that is 30minutes from leaving the tarmac to hitting the tarmac again? Last time I flew SQ on this sector the service consisted of a small plastic cup of OJ, and no need/point to having IFE (is it even turned on?)
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
For the meantime, I found that I can book a SQ flight but codeshared and sold as AIR INDIA for about US$50 less than on a SQ #. Its in coach though.

Its for Christmas and even the LCC are a tad expensive. So I thought I might as well do the AI route rather than pay full fare on SQ.

I can bank the miles on LH M&M.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
For the meantime, I found that I can book a SQ flight but codeshared and sold as AIR INDIA for about US$50 less than on a SQ #. Its in coach though.

Its for Christmas and even the LCC are a tad expensive. So I thought I might as well do the AI route rather than pay full fare on SQ.

I can bank the miles on LH M&M.
No status miles though.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
1. SQ flying SIN-KUL at all is an act of government-mandated vanity these days.

2. What' the hold up on making Silkair a member of Star Alliance?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
...2. What' the hold up on making Silkair a member of Star Alliance?
SQ management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.