2010 Entertainment Book (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:44 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
2010 Entertainment Book (consolidated)

In the 2009 book there were two coupons one for 5% off an aa flight (with many blackout dates) and one for 10% off on an aa vacation package.
In the 2010 book there is a $10 off coupon for aa flying and 5% off an aa vacation. There is an additional coupon for $20 off aa flights from BOS, CHI, Los Angeles, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, NYC, St. Louis, DC.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA, Marriott PLT, Starwood
Thanks for posting the information. It's always a dilemma: what time of year to buy the Entertainment Book, weighing the cost against the discounts that I can use - it is full price right now, at $35. This year I got it at $15 later in 2009, March I think. Most discounts expire by Nov. 1, but the AA discounts are good until Dec. 31, 2009 so likely Dec. 31 will be the same expiration date in 2010, for AA.

Last edited by travelingmore; Aug 19, 2009 at 11:30 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:21 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelingmore
Thanks for posting the information. It's always a dilemma: what time of year to buy the Entertainment Book, weighing the cost against the discounts that I can use - it is full price right now, at $35. This year I got it at $15 later in 2009, March I think. Most discounts expire by Nov. 1, but the AA discounts are good until Dec. 31, 2009 so likely Dec. 31 will be the same expiration date in 2010, for AA.
Yes 12/31/10 for the aa promos.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 4:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
are there embargo dates? are they similar to this year?

although at first the $$ off seems chintzy.. a $10 off is still the equivilent of 5% of a $200 base fare which I've done a few times so its still ok (not great though).. its sure not worth buying the book for.. or being DCA based the $20 is s till 5% of a $400 base..

i've always bought it late for $12-15 bucks

like this year it became worth it when I needed the ENT card for a room in Vegas that saved me $45 per night for a week and the $5 safeway coupons were great too.. so it was a bargain in the end but its not always so
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It looks like the cheapest books (which were $25 retail last year and $15 retail a couple of years ago) are now $35 retail.

Are the dollars-off AA coupons limited to one passenger per coupon, or do they provide the discount for every passenger traveling on a single itinerary (as the old 5% discount did)?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:55 am

I have always gotten the Entertainment book for less than $5. Look for cashback promotions from bing or cashbaq. I bought the 2009 book in June for less than $2 and had enough time to use the coupon on the non-blackout days.

5% discount code can be used for up to 6 passengers on a PNR.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nrr
In the 2009 book there were two coupons one for 5% off an aa flight (with many blackout dates) and one for 10% off on an aa vacation package.
In the 2010 book there is a $10 off coupon for aa flying and 5% off an aa vacation. There is an additional coupon for $20 off aa flights from BOS, CHI, Los Angeles, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, NYC, St. Louis, DC.
Do you still get a second code (presumably for $10, not 5%) by registering the book as has been the case in past years? I think it's still worth it if not, but this is a definite benefit reduction.

I will say, though, that, if one can get a local book, the savings beyond the AA code can be substantial. We get the Silicon Valley/San Jose book and there are actually quite a few things in there that we have used.

Originally Posted by vrbaba
I have always gotten the Entertainment book for less than $5. Look for cashback promotions from bing or cashbaq.
Or fatwallet.

Originally Posted by vrbaba
5% discount code can be used for up to 6 passengers on a PNR.
But next year's deal may be different since it's no longer a %off discount.

Cheers.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by brp

Or fatwallet.
Or slickdeals (Although they dont give out cashback themselves)

Originally Posted by brp

But next year's deal may be different since it's no longer a %off discount.

Cheers.
Yup, you are right, I misread one of the posters' question.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 7:49 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I bought a book but when I look online for the AA code and details, I get a message saying the details will be available Aug 20, 2009 [Still on Aug 22]. Has anyone had better luck online?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:06 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I sent EB an e-mail questioning my inability to access the AA discount codes. They responded saying that the codes will be available on 8/27, now their web page says 9/1/09.
I paid $25 as a "subscriber", and have 30 days to return the book for a full refund (less a $7.95 "restocking" fee); if they don't provide services they advertise, what use is the service? I'll call them tomorrow to find out what is "going on".
[From other messages in this thread, I'm probably better off buying the book later in the year at some of the big discounts noted.]
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:55 am

I tried to use the discount on a trip to CDG this year. The $ value of the discount was unexpectedly small since much of the cost of the flight accounted for as taxes, fuel surcharge, security fee etc. I called AA and got this answer.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Entertainment 5% Discount seems to be for roundtrip only

The only place to enter a promo code on the AA website is for roundtrip flights.

I want to do an open-jaw ticket, so I'm using multi-city. But there is no field for "promo code" there. I called AA and they said promo codes only work on roundtrip flights.

The Entertainment book says nothing about a roundtrip restriction.

Has anyone run into this?

Last edited by dstan; Dec 9, 2009 at 3:43 pm Reason: mod note moved up post-merge
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing in the terms on Entertainment.com about this, but just an FYI, here are the rest of the terms:

Travel must be completed by December 17, 2009.
•
Discount may be used for up to six passengers on a single purchase.
•
Discount applies to any published fare of at least $150.
•
Travel must be booked and purchased on AA.com or by clicking on the Book Flight button using your Promotion Code provided to the right. Please be sure to write down your Promotion Code so it is readily available when making your reservation.
•
Discount does not apply to previous reservations placed on hold or purchased.
•
AA.com Promotion Codes cannot be reissued or replaced.
•
You must be a registered member at entertainment.com to take advantage of this special offer. You will receive one Promotion Code for each membership.
•
Discount only applies for travel during off-peak travel dates listed below.**

Of course, my dates happen to be blacked-out:

•
2009: January 6 – March 12
April 13 – June 26
August 17 – November 19
December 1 – December 17

(these are the dates that DO apply)
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:26 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by josephstern

The Entertainment book says nothing about a roundtrip restriction.

Has anyone run into this?
This is not an Entertainment book restriction- this is an AA (and AA.com) restriction. Multi city bookings simply do not allow entry of any sort of promotion/discount code (Entertainment book or not) as they have no entry field for it. Your beef on this is with AA and not Entertainment book as they don't maintain the AA website. It actually seems pretty lame not to have the promotion code field there, but that's AA.com for ya. Some things are great, others not so much.

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hear you.

I do feel like Entertainment should be mentioning this restriction in their terms, since it does affect use of the coupon.

Hopefully American will wise up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.