Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Awards/Rewards Of All Time?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2004, 5:49 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

The Best Awards/Rewards Of All Time?

The feature article for the March issue of InsideFlyer is featuring some of the best awards of all time based on miles/points to relative value. For instance, one of them featured is:
Program:
Continental OnePass (circa 1987/88)
Award Description: Million Aire Reward. The Ultimate Reward. Redeem 1,000,000 miles and receive weekly First Class travel worldwide for two. Up to 52 trips anywhere Continental or Eastern fly.
Mileage/Point Requirements: 1,000,000 miles
Maximum Value: $334,568
Value Per 1,000 Miles/Points: $334.57

Others include TWA's 50K award (Equity), Pan Am's Unlimited Monthly Award and the orginal Concorde award. Anyone have any thoughts of awards current and pst that have the absolute highest 'value?' Right now we've got over 35 of them but paring them down - airline, hotel and credit card.

Just for grins, do any of you truly remember this OnePass reward?
Old Feb 10, 2004, 5:56 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
That will be an amazing list.

Some of us were still babies when those awards were around.

Here I think 90,000 miles for a business class saver award on United to Australia/New Zealand is an excellent award.

Can't wait to read that list!!!

William
Old Feb 10, 2004, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Continental Airlines (circa 1998-2000?) used to offer tremendous discounts on OnePass awards to celebrate the inauguration of new international service. Instead of the usual redemption levels, one could redeem an international coach class ticket for a mere 20,000 OnePass miles. A really nifty aspect of the award was that you could travel roundtrip from anywhere in the US served by Continental/Continental Express to the international destination, not just one of the hubs where the new longhaul service was being introduced.

My brother and I flew to Tokyo, Japan in May 1999 -- he from Greensboro, NC, and I from Waco, TX -- for 20,000 OnePass miles each. I took advantage of another 20,000 mile offer in February 2001, flying from Waco to Dusseldorf, Germany. In late 2000/early 2001, I believe Continental also offered a 20,000 mile award to Brazil to celebrate new service as well. [Edited to add that upon further recollection, I believe that the Brazil award may have been for as little as 17,500 miles as Athena53 relates below]. Pretty good bang for the frequent flier mileage buck.

[This message has been edited by cAAl (edited Feb 11, 2004).]
Old Feb 10, 2004, 6:23 pm

Air France used to run a special I remember it even as late as 2002 where you could redeem a 2 for 1 Concorde fare for 160,000 points WOW
Old Feb 10, 2004, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
TW had an award with a great miles/value ratio: if you purchased one international coach ticket (any published fare, if I remember correctly), the ticket would be upgraded to first class and you would receive a second companion first class ticket for free. My then-girlfriend and I had a great vacation in the Greek islands using this award to travel JFK-ATH.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Westin Premier - for 500,000 points (which translated to 100,000 Starpoints at the time of program merger), the award was 2 C class tickets on UA from the US to LHR or CDG PLUS 4 nights in a Westin Demure Hotel in London or Paris. There were no associated taxes or fees or charges of any kind. The airfare for 2 was about $25,000 at the time, and the hotel nights were in the $400 range per night.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 6:44 pm

UA awards after taking over Pan Am flights to Pacific. Two first class RT tickets to any of UA Pacific destinations for 120k miles with no blackouts or capacity controls.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 6:57 pm

Correction on the UA award. Two rt first class Europe 120k and two rt Pacific 160k.
Additionally, Premex would receive 125% bonus mileage in addition to the triple mileage promotions.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:03 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
KLM won the Freddie last year with a good reward. The paid mile for mile what you had banked in another FFP if you flew them in C for a number of times in a given period.
I believe someone managed to make 2 million (!) miles in a very easy way!
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
In late 2000, CO offered OnePass travel from Newark to Rio for 17,500 OnePass miles round trip. I still remember getting the e-mail and making the wild and crazy decision with my Significant Other (now my husband) to fly down on a Thursday and return over a Monday night. Still one of our better travel stories.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:49 pm

In 1987, I redeemed 100k on Western Airlines for two first class tickets on JAL from LAX-NRT-BKK-DEL and return. This award also included two free one week car rentals and a couple of three night hotel stay vouchers.

[This message has been edited by flytoeat (edited Feb 12, 2004).]
Old Feb 10, 2004, 8:03 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Back in 1987 my first big redeemtion was from Northwest: Two FC tickets to Bangkok/Hong Kong, with that redeemtion we also received a 7 night stay at the Mandrin (Oriental)Hotel in Hong Kong AND a week rental of a luxury (Toyota Crown)car (also including a week's parking at any of a multitude of parking lots thoughout Hong Kong). All this for 120,000 miles. Needless to say this didn't last very long, but I sure enjoyed it while I could.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 8:04 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by crazy canuck:
Air France used to run a special I remember it even as late as 2002 where you could redeem a 2 for 1 Concorde fare for 160,000 points WOW</font>
I second that as one of the best bang for miles awards. Heck to experience the Concorde at 160k for one person was worth it, let alone two for one!.

Old Feb 10, 2004, 8:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Blumie:
TW had an award with a great miles/value ratio: if you purchased one international coach ticket (any published fare, if I remember correctly), the ticket would be upgraded to first class and you would receive a second companion first class ticket for free. My then-girlfriend and I had a great vacation in the Greek islands using this award to travel JFK-ATH.</font>
That's what Randy was referring to in his original post where he mentions "TWA's 50K award." TWA was my airline of choice at that time and I redeemed eight or nine of those awards. Between flying and using the original TWA Visa card, the miles racked up like crazy!

Note: The "companion upgrade" was valid from any coach fare to First Class. Or you could save it and use it yourself on a future flight. Now that's what I call an award!

[This message has been edited by Neal (edited Feb 10, 2004).]
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
On our first trip to Europe in 1996, United offered 2 first class tix for a total of 160,000 miles. Normal first class was 100,000. That was a good deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.