Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old May 14, 2018, 7:08 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
The comments above make me wonder... is it possible to go to Rossini, just order a couple of small items, then go to the buffet? Or it's free breakfast at Rossini OR the buffet, but not both?
Old May 14, 2018, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escape4
The comments above make me wonder... is it possible to go to Rossini, just order a couple of small items, then go to the buffet? Or it's free breakfast at Rossini OR the buffet, but not both?
This is an excellent question.

Since I've booked a suite as a Plat, I should get two breakfasts regardless
Old May 14, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by escape4
I don't think that you can have two complimentary breakfasts (per person) on the same day. That said, if you're in Rossini's and there's something you'd like which is not available there but is at the buffet, ask your server. S/he will almost certainly be happy to go downstairs and get it for you. For me, it was banana bread, before they started serving it regularly in Rossini's.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; May 18, 2018 at 4:35 am
Old May 18, 2018, 4:14 am

This is still one of my favorite hotels in the world (even better than the Park Hyatt which I actually liked a lot more than many fellow FTers on the Hyatt board), and while the extended cocktail hours at The Living Room is much appreciated, I noticed there is a change/ downgrade in the beverage menu - JW Gold > Black, no more Makers Mark, etc etc. Service from the more experienced staff was wonderful as usual, but the newer staff are a tad less attentive and less likely to remember your preferences.

Breakfast at Rossinis is top-notch, in terms of food and service. However, not sure if its just me or did they actually reduce the number of a la carte choices on offer. Gone are staples such as Steak and Eggs, NY Bagels, Frittatas, the delicious omelette with prawns, etc.

Laundry benefit is now 2 pieces per day per room on paper, but they proactively offered 2 pieces per person per day, which is much appreciated. I also noticed the pool service has declined a bit - they are a bit less friendly and proactive as before, but perhaps I have just caught them on a bad (few days). Do they usually serve you water once youve settled down or am I mixing this up with another hotel (PHB definitely does)?
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:16 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit = Still Excellent Choice in Bangkok

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel

250 Sukhumvit Road Bangkok, Thailand TH

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit = Still Excellent Choice in Bangkok (6 Photos)

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel

I have returned to Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and completed my first stay there in over a year.  Lately I stayed at various others properties in Bangkok to mix things up, for example Westin Sukhumvit, Le Méridien, Royal Orchid Sheraton, and a few hotels in chains other than Starwood.  I also had four stays in Athenee Hotel in the last few months but that came to a halt when during my last stay they forced me to move to another room at 6pm when I was tired and about to go to sleep, because apparently they said the entire floor needed some kind of chemical treatment (which they knew all along but just forgot to tell me).  I have decided to take a break from Athenee and we have not gone back there since, and instead for this trip I booked the other Luxury Collection in town, the SGS. There is no strong reason why I waited so long before returning to SGS (no hiccup in a past stay like at Athenee), but this time around I found a BRG at 3700++ THB which was too good to pass up. 

Room

I have historically not had much suite upgrade success at SGS and this time was no better although I was not necessarily expecting one in part due to having a low BRG so I assumed that I would not be high in the pecking order for upgrades.  The hotel is not the most modern in town compared to Park Hyatt for example, but I found the room to be in better condition that I remembered.  For a hotel this age, I have to admit the room was almost flawless. The room is very comfortable and possibly the only negative I can find is very minor: there is no rain shower, and the shower hose is not very stable on its stand.  Perhaps the room was in better shape than my recollection because of my recent visits to Westin Sukhumvit across the road which is starting to show its age, but it is not the case at SGS.  In the past the SGS was proactive in letting me know that I could change rooms in the middle of my stay (if I wanted to) because a suite might open up, so I know for sure that they upgrade Plats to suites when available.  The only issue is just that there are not that many suites available and I have had much better upgrade success at ROS and LM.  Those two hotels are a notch below SGS (and ROS, probably two notches below) so we cannot directly compare but part of why I am not a regular at SGS is not only that I like variety in where I stay generally speaking, but I also will naturally gravitate towards hotels with better chances of suite upgrades for some of my stays where a suite would be more important than other stays.

20180519_132859.jpg20180519_132927.jpg20180519_132949.jpg

Dining

As others have noted in this thread, happy hour was extended to 4pm-8pm in the Library rather than being limited to 2 hours, which was a pleasant surprise.  This is similar to increases in drink times at Athenee and ROS.  We are not interested in drinking for a full 4 hours, but it provides flexibility if we want a drink late afternoon or early evening.  As nice as the Library is for happy hour, Bar Su is even better and I can say that we missed it after a long hiatus.  I am generally more of a lounge kind of guy because of the food, which is another reason why I tend a bit more to book more often at hotels such as ROS, Westin, or Athenee, but in terms of happy hour environment, the Bar Su is one of the best all around.  It’s just not a standard hotel bar, and it’s nice bar period.  We ended up staying in Bar Su well past 8pm and despite not having dinner since we enjoyed our time there so much.

20180520_225712.jpg20180521_072955.jpg

Another strong point of the hotel is the quality of the food.  We had breakfast in Rossini one morning and it beats any breakfast buffet.  As Dr HFH suggested earlier in the thread, I asked the server if I could get something from the Orchid Café and it was no problem.  They brought me a noodle soup from downstairs after I had finished my dish from Rossini. One other morning we had breakfast in Orchid Café.  The place is smaller than I remembered and was quite crowded which is the downside. But once again, it is top notch breakfast quality and I would put it on par with breakfast at Athenee.  I particularly enjoyed the fresh mangos which I rarely see in any hotel anywhere.  The only reason I could give the edge to Athenee would be because it’s less crowded, but food wise SGS is right up there with Athenee.  We ordered room service a couple of times for dinner and everything was delicious as well.  There are not many hotels that have so many options on the menu, including dishes from many kitchens (Thai, Indian, Italian, American, etc.) which can please pretty much everybody.

20180521_123252.jpg

Overall

All in all SGS remains a top notch hotel particularly at a price which you can sometimes find below 5k THB.  If we compare to other chains, also count me in the camp of those who will not return to Park Hyatt any time soon and I easily give the edge to SGS. Within Starwood, SGS is not head and shoulders above other hotels for me simply because great service is a strong point of SGS but we are generally low maintenance customers who do not benefit as much as other guests from top service.  Also I value suite upgrades and a Club Lounge and this is lacking for me which is why SGS will probably not get more than 25% of my business in Bangkok in the medium term, but it will always be on my list.  Customers who do not care as much about suite upgrades and customers who enjoy happy hour for drinks more than for food can book at SGS without hesitation. 

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit = Still Excellent Choice in Bangkok

Would you like to write a review on the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
unclepants and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok
Dear Reviewers,

We truly value our frequent loyal guests such as yourselves. To recognize your loyalty, we provide vouchers as follows.
20th stay Upgrade to a Luxury Suite
50th stay Upgrade to the Raja or Rachada Suite
100th stay Upgrade to the Rama Suite or Governor Suite (new) or Presidential Suite (when renovation complete. ETA July).

All the above are subject to availability when booking, but are guaranteed once confirmed.

I hope that above answers your questions. There are incidentally more awards on the 200th stay and more.

With kind regards and sincere thanks for your continuing support.

Richard Chapman
Hi folks,
My next but one stay (my 28th) will in all probability take me over the 100 night mark. I was wondering if there is any special recognition or upgrade voucher given to the 100 night milestone? Thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Doubtful, this hotel always counts ( and rewards) stays - not nights.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sabdhabi
I was wondering if there is any special recognition or upgrade voucher given to the 100 night milestone? Thanks.
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Doubtful, this hotel always counts ( and rewards) stays - not nights.
In the packet one gets at checkin, one of the little slips of paper tells you your total stay count at the hotel.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
In the packet one gets at checkin, one of the little slips of paper tells you your total stay count at the hotel.
Indeed, the little slip of paper states only the number of stays, but I do know that the hotel keeps a record of the number of nights also. I often ask when checking out for the number of nights totalled so far.

Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
They do know the number of nights.
We are only at 28 stays but the vast majority of them have been for 6 nights so we are well over 100 nights.Nothing when we passed 100 nights.But having stayed that many and for several nights at a time our reward is a lot of the staff know us and the service is just wonderful.
Two instances from our last stay.Mrsdrron once joked to the fellow who brought our bags to the room that we were on our honeymoon.He was the one delivering them this visit.So on entering the room he says -Welcome back for your 28th honeymoon.
The woman greeting you at Rossinis for breakfast on seeing my wife-You have changed your hairstyle-the last stay was 3 months previously.
We do really look at the SGS as our home away from home.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Rossini's Menu Change

The menu has changed. The brioche french toast is gone. Here's the new menu:

Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
The menu has changed. The brioche french toast is gone.
It may be off the menu; but I'd be surprised if they won't make it for you on request, assuming that they still bake brioche bread. I rarely eat breakfast at Rossini; but certainly if you take any type of bread up to the grill area at Orchid and ask them to soak it in egg mixture and put it on the griddle, they would do it with a smile.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I rarely eat breakfast at Rossini; but certainly if you take any type of bread up to the grill area at Orchid and ask them to soak it in egg mixture and put it on the griddle, they would do it with a smile.
I'll try that tomorrow

This morning Orchid had the best fresh mango I've ever eaten.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sabdhabi

Indeed, the little slip of paper states only the number of stays, but I do know that the hotel keeps a record of the number of nights also. I often ask when checking out for the number of nights totalled so far.

Yes, but that nightly number doesn't seem to have any importance to them.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Kacee
The menu has changed. The brioche french toast is gone. Here's the new menu:

I see the steak and eggs has gone as well. I have just checked in and was looking forward to that tomorrow morning. Looking at that menu Rosinis is not looking like such a good option any more

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.