Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Imagine Mars as a Destination in Your Favorite Frequent Flyer Program.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:52 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

With all of the news and attention surrounding Spirit and Opportunity, the two rovers that have recently landed on Mars as part of a program to explore Mars by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) of the United States, I as a frequent flyer could not help but think about the bonanza that a minimum of 70,000,000 miles (approximately 35,000,000 miles each way) could bring to a frequent flyer program.

Once that brief thought entered my mind, other thoughts followed:
  • Will ordinary travelers consider interplanetary travel in addition to trans-continental and trans-oceanic travel as part of their itineraries one day in the future?
  • If so, would interplanetary travel ever be included in a frequent flyer program — if frequent flyer programs exist in the future?
  • If frequent flyer programs do exist in the distant future, would they be similar to the current ones today, or does anyone envision what they could be like in the distant future?
  • What might a round-trip to Mars cost — both peak and off-peak and both coach and first class?
  • How many months would the journey take?

This light-hearted yet thought-provoking thread is meant to purposely be different from the typical MilesBuzz! thread and is meant to encourage creative discussion pertaining to some of the listed items above. I believe that this topic is so fertile with ideas that there are a plethora of points that have yet to be discussed that I hope other FlyerTalk members will initiate into this thread.

For example, one thought that just occurred to me is that, unlike the distance between two locations on Earth, the distance between Earth and Mars is not static. Does that mean that the amount of miles earned for a one-way trip between Earth and Mars would remain at the minimum all the time, or would it perhaps be as dynamic as the changing distance between Earth and Mars?

Another thought: could you imagine sitting in coach class for seven months on your way to Mars, especially considering the current coach class product of some airlines? Or, if you could upgrade, what would the premium cabin be like, and how many miles would one have to redeem to score an upgrade?

Yet another thought: Why stop at Mars, or even within our own solar system, for discussion pertaining to interplanetary travel?

Please use your imagination. Unlike other topics, the sky is definitely not the limit here.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 10:43 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
How much additional would it cost to purchase food in coach on this trip? What happens when they run out of food to purchase?
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:22 pm

There would be space stations that would be placed in between Earth and Mars at 10 degrees each from the centre. The stations would be like rest stops or maybe even supply stations with fuel and food stock houses.

-this is what happens when you watch too much Star Trek-

------------------
UA's redemtion system - the 99 cents store.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

Which year would your miles and status miles/credits count against?

How would you possibly use up the miles other than for another trip to Mars?

Can you get a discounted around mars airpass if you purchase long haul to mars?

What new name will be needed for the status level with this many miles? Will they devalue other status levels so that only mars travel earns status?

How would fly 2 get 1 free work given the time frames?

How will they ensure dont run out of booze for a flight this long?
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ual744777sta:
There would be space stations that would be placed in between Earth and Mars at 10 degrees each from the centre. The stations would be like rest stops or maybe even supply stations with fuel and food stock houses.</font>
How exactly would that work? The space station would go into an orbit around the sun, the moon, earth, or Mars.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
How exactly would that work? The space station would go into an orbit around the sun, the moon, earth, or Mars.</font>
Well, I guess they would put the stations in orbit 'round the sun, and time the Mars launches to "hit" the stations as the circle around.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:00 am

Programs: UA, Hilton
I wonder if the craft would have exit rows...or emergency exits at all, for that matter.

What would you get for getting bumped -- a free ticket to the planet of your choice?

Incidentally, you really can earn miles for space flight. See http://www.usair.com/dividendmiles/e...iles/space.htm for the details. (Not to take away from the light-heartedness of the thread...)
Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
For example, one thought that just occurred to me is that, unlike the distance between two locations on Earth, the distance between Earth and Mars is not static. Does that mean that the amount of miles earned for a one-way trip between Earth and Mars would remain at the minimum all the time, or would it perhaps be as dynamic as the changing distance between Earth and Mars?</font>
I believe existing FF policies cover this. The actual miles flown between two cities on earth varies with the flight path, which often deviates considerably from a great circle route to take advantage of favorable winds or avoid unfavorable ones. The mileage awarded is the minimum distance in any case.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kiwi Flyer:
Which year would your miles and status miles/credits count against</font>
Here again, the existing policy of crediting flights based on departure date - many long flights don't land the day they leave, and they operate Dec. 31 to Jan. 1 (or 2) just as they do the rest of the year - should cover this route.

My question: would Maracaibo be willing to give up its MAR airport code?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:22 am

Programs: UA, Hilton
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Efrem:
My question: would Maracaibo be willing to give up its MAR airport code? </font>
Maybe Reedsville, PA (RED) would give up their code.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:39 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
I reserved a flight to the moon on Pan Am and I didn't even get a lousy T-shirt.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 1:34 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ual744777sta:
-this is what happens when you watch too much Star Trek-</font>
And then visiting Roswell, NM.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 2:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
No imagination needed....CO will simply treat this as another international destination, thereby making no standard awards available and requiring you to play the Mars HoKeY lottery for an upgrade.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MileKing:
No imagination needed....CO will simply treat this as another international destination, thereby making no standard awards available and requiring you to play the Mars HoKeY lottery for an upgrade.</font>
What upgrade? They're gonna fly the route using Regional Jets.

Old Jan 27, 2004, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Would interplanetary travel ever be included in a frequent flyer program — if frequent flyer programs exist in the future?</font>
I am reminded of the Pan Am commercial in 2010 noting "with frequent flights to the space station, moon, and all other orbital destinations...the sky is no longer the limit".

I'd like to think I'd be able to burn a few million miles* on a Clipper Class ticket on the Orion Shuttle to the Hilton hotel on the space station.

* - Considering how many miles I'd earn flying there.

[This message has been edited by SEA_Tigger (edited Jan 27, 2004).]
Old Jan 27, 2004, 3:25 pm

I as a frequent flyer could not help but think about the bonanza that a minimum of 70,000,000 miles (approximately 35,000,000 miles each way) could bring to a frequent flyer program.
</font>
Yea, you might get a lot of miles from going there, but the cost per mile would likely be astronomical (pun intended). I don't think anyone would go there for a mileage run. (Plus, most jobs don't give you enough vacation time.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.