Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

International MR with same day turn around, Require Visa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

It is my understanding that some countries require expensive visas for visitors. If you are on the same day turn around Mileage Run, will you still need a visa. I'm looking at going to Shanghai and the visa is in the area of $150 IIRC. negating the lure of doing a MR there...

Thank you
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Very much depends on the country. Some are fine with visa free turnarounds, others are not. For China, they require transit to a 3rd country (eg NRT-PVG-ICN is okay, NRT-PVG-NRT is not).
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:39 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
As was stated, totally depends. I did a transit in SVO and again in DXB and as a US citizen, no transit visa required. For those two airports, I don't believe citizens of any country require a visa for transit (based on the way the transit area is set up) but there could be exceptions.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
In addition to what the country requires, you have to check into what the airline will accept. Will they let you board without a visa?

And then even if they do let you board without a visa, you have to worry about irops. What if your arriving flight is late and you miss the return? Would it be possible to stay airside until you can get your flight changed (maybe next day, or next week)? And would you be happy with being stuck airside for an indefinite period?

For all these reasons, I would not consider a pure MR to a country that requires visa, unless I was willing to go through the trouble of getting the visa.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I do MRs a few times a year to Chile, and while I probably could do it without clearing immigration and entering the country, I went ahead and paid the $100 reciprocity fee (it is a bit higher nowadays) so that I could spend the day enjoying Santiago instead of just sitting in lounges inside the sterile departures area. I have a friend who did a MR to DEL, and he chose to get a visa so that he could stay one night. So, I guess it all depends on your priorities.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
In addition to what the country requires, you have to check into what the airline will accept. Will they let you board without a visa?
This is a huge issue. The airlines get hit with very large fines if they carry a passenger who is not eligible for entry and who is denied on arrival. So if you don't have a visa for a country that requires one and you get denied on arrival the airline hurts. They rarely will take that risk for you to collect miles.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:24 am

MR same day turn around Visa requirements

For HKG, NRT, SIN, BKK you do not need a visa

for SYD,,, THERE IS A TRANSIT LINE GOING BACK TO THE DEPARTURE LOUNGE

FOR MEL... YOU NEED TO GO THRU CUSTOM AND IMMIGRATION AND RE-CHECK IN

THE MOST DIFFICULT PART: WILL THE AIRLINE TAKE THE RISK OF BEING FINE AND LET YOU ON THE PLANE WITHOUT A VISA FOR VISA REQUIRED COUNTRIES.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by fun888
Incorrect. MEL has airside international transfers. Note that currently due to construction and holidays the door is kept shut except when the airlines advise of connecting passengers, but you can get security to open it up for you with a minor delay. There is no international transfer desk in MEL so if you do not have an onward boarding pass you will need to get it at the lounge (if flying NZ, SQ, QF or EK and have lounge access) or at the gate when the gate opens about an hour before departure.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by fun888
For HKG, NRT, SIN, BKK you do not need a visa

for SYD,,, THERE IS A TRANSIT LINE GOING BACK TO THE DEPARTURE LOUNGE

THE MOST DIFFICULT PART: WILL THE AIRLINE TAKE THE RISK OF BEING FINE AND LET YOU ON THE PLANE WITHOUT A VISA FOR VISA REQUIRED COUNTRIES.
Be very careful, though. The rules vary by country- Australia only allows six hours connection time for intl transit if you do not have a visa for entry. The airline will check.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by uanj
Be very careful, though. The rules vary by country- Australia only allows six hours connection time for intl transit if you do not have a visa for entry. The airline will check.
OK learn something new every day thanks to FT. Why does Australia require US residents to have visas but Britian does not? I always figured since Britian doesn't then Australia doesn't either. What about NZ?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:03 am

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
Originally Posted by zipadee
OK learn something new every day thanks to FT. Why does Australia require US residents to have visas but Britian does not? I always figured since Britian doesn't then Australia doesn't either. What about NZ?
The good part is that their Electronic Visa is only like $20.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by zipadee
You are talking of 2 different countries and each has its own distinct immigration laws even if you are a US citizen. It would be nice to have a unified immigration laws worldwide for US citizens, don't you think? But again, what make us special than the rest of the world?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:22 am

I think he was suggesting not that US citizens should get special treatment but that Commonwealth countries should somehow all be the same....

It is clearly not well understood that while Australia shares a Head of State with the UK (HM the Queen) that is ALL we share... any real administrative or judicial ties went long ago....
Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, HH GOLD, SPG, OMNI, KIMPTON, A-CLUB
Originally Posted by sbm12
This is a huge issue. The airlines get hit with very large fines if they carry a passenger who is not eligible for entry and who is denied on arrival. So if you don't have a visa for a country that requires one and you get denied on arrival the airline hurts. They rarely will take that risk for you to collect miles.
This is true. A couple years ago, I traveled with a friend to Paris (I'm US citizen, she was a U.S. resident, but Sierra Leone Citizen). She failed to get the proper visa, and they let her on the plane. Not only did she not get back the customs window, but they turned her around 2 hours later on the next flight. When I flew back a few days later (sorry, I wasn't canx my trip because she didn't get her stuff together), the flight attendant told me how the airline gets fined around $10K in some instances.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, HH GOLD, SPG, OMNI, KIMPTON, A-CLUB
Originally Posted by blueslip
You are talking of 2 different countries and each has its own distinct immigration laws even if you are a US citizen. It would be nice to have a unified immigration laws worldwide for US citizens, don't you think? But again, what make us special than the rest of the world?
We aren't special. The US has these allowances/exceptions in many countries because US citizens don't flood other countries with illegal aliens that burden their social services and undermine employment opportunities for the citizens of that country. We don't bring crime/political unrest to those countries. (I'm talking from a purely immigration standpoint. Please, no comments on the wars in the Middle East).

We don't sneak into places to lay on the street and beg for alms and charity. US Citizens may be loud, obnoxious, and rude, but we spend money, lots of it, and quite freely. Some places, if it weren't for US tourist $$$ they would be in a world of hurt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.