Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The 2009 "Who, When, Where, What and How" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2009 "Who, When, Where, What and How" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Post The 2009 "Who, When, Where, What and How" thread

Sorry! It is a little late this year. I have received several PMs asking when the 2009 thread will be started....so here it is by popular demand. The drill is the same as last year. I expect we will read stories about how the following events have impacted the travel patterns during 2008:

Double EQM Promotion^
Elite Team Competition:-:
Elimination and restoration of 500-Mile minimun/
Financial Crisis

The links to what everyone did in 2007 and 2008 are listed below. It is interesting to go back and relect on what had changed in our travel patterns over the past 2-3 years.

The 2008 "Who, When, Where, What and How" thread

The 2007 "Who, When, Where, What and How" thread

Here we go:

Who: Your FT handle (optional what do you do in real life?)
When: When will (did) you make your desired 2008 status?
How: This is a broad category. Include any information on whether you travel for work, personal reasons, MRs, double EQM, M+ Visa EQMs, UA flying, *A flying, $$$ spent to achieve status, Elite Team Competition, 500-mile minimun, how your travel pattern has changed in 2008 from previous years.
Where: Places you have been this year (on your way to your 2009 status).
Why:Why is achieving status/accumulating miles important (or not important) to you?[/QUOTE]
What: What’s your plan to achieve 2010 status, and where will you go?

Happy Holidays Everyone!!

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Dec 15, 2008 at 8:23 am
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'll get the ball rolling

Who: UA-NYC - Innovation Consultant & Researcher
When: Dec 23, SFO-JFK, last flight of the year...will hit 1K for the first time and just clear it by 900 EQMs.
How: 1/3 work, 2/3 leisure. Got 10K from DEQM and 10K from Chase. Managed to avoid Choices and MRs. Not affected by 500 mile min. Elite Choice team will end the year at +160K...probably not good enough. Had a good amount of business travel for the first time this year, plus an increase in leisure travel.
Where: ORD (x20 - work + fun), SFO (x3), LAX (x3), DEN, PHX, PDX, LAS (on US), YUL (on AC), HKG (saver F award)
Why: My wife and I love to fly and travel. Work keeps me traveling a decent bit.
What: Definitely 1P, 1K's a stretch though. Trying to take another HKG trip next year that would be paid this time, which would help.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Dec 15, 2008 at 7:49 am
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
WHO: ECOTONE, healthcare consultant
WHEN: Reached 1K on 6/30/08.
HOW: About 95% of my travel is for work - commuted between IAD-SFO/LAX for 24 weeks this year which contributed to the miles. Received something like 24k through the DEQM but would have made 1K without it.
WHERE: IAD,DCA,ATL,BOS,EWR,CLT, CAE,CMH,DTW,ORD,LEX,SDF,MEM,BNA,BHM,BTR,MSY,SHV,JA N,GPT,LIT,XNA,IAH,DFW,LBB,SBN,BWI,ABE,BDL,TYS,DEN, RAP,TUS,PHX,RNO,SFO,OAK,SMF,MRF,FAT,SBA,SNA,ONT,MF R,PDX,EUG,FCO
WHY:I like to sit in FC so I can get free booze.
WHAT:I will continue my consulting work - but probably have to get a bit more creative this year with some of my routings. Will be around 30k EQM by the 2nd week of January 2009 - so I'll be off to a strong start.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 2P
Who: fnothaft, engineering student and aspiring track star
When: Reached 2P when DEQM posted, reached 1P Nov. 2nd, DEN-SJC
How: I fly pretty much exclusively from Silicon Valley to WAS/Williamsburg VA as my family and girlfriend are in that area. I also added on trips from SFO-LAX, SFO-PDX, and IAD-CMH for track meets, SFO-ABQ for engineering related activities, and SFO-NYC to visit family.
Where: IAD, DCA, BWI, SFO, SJC, OAK, RIC, ORF, PHF, ABQ, BOS, CLT, DEN, ORD, CMH, LAX, PDX, LGA, PHL.
Why: Why not? Mostly, I enjoy flying, and some good fares (<$300) have allowed me to sneak away from school for the weekend to go visit my girlfriend. On a kind of perverse note, school has been busy enough lately to actually make flying relaxing. Strange, no? Also, status is nice.
What: Definitely 2P, hopefully 1P. I already know that I'll be doing approximately 35k flying home for holidays and whatnot. I don't know what my meet schedule will be for track, I actually don't think that there will be much competing going on this year, so that probably won't add much, but I'm sure I can come up with the last 15k somewhere.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Who: cedahm - Footwear (distribution)
When: Reached 1K June 13, somewhere over Ireland on ORD-AMS
How: 95% work related. DEQM contributed about 20K, will end up @ 180K EQM. Global organization has me overseas a lot. Company only pays lowest feasible Y fare, so EQM = BIS for me.
Where: AMS(x8), NRT (x4), HKG, MEL, SIN, misc domestic..more time in IAD RCC's than I'd care to recall (ty Vino Volo).
Why: Based in DEN, lots of Y longhaul travel = UA status is a must. Since company only pays for M/H and lower, SWUs are huge, and E+/Exit as a fallback is nothing short of a requirement.
What: Hopeful for 1K again next year, though with the economy, our travel is getting cut quite a bit. Certainly won't make it by June again. Also planning to burn some miles and SWUs for the wife and I.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Who: Seat1A - consulting (software company)
When: hit 1K in august
How: mostly work, and mostly domestic/canada. i started the year with a CRWSTAR1 for work, which gave me the impetus to switch to UA and to make 1K. other than that, work pays cheapest economy, and i fly E+/NF.
Where: YUL and IND were my semi-regular spots this year, but it varies a lot.
Why: i care about status mostly for priority treatment. i do a lot of short-haul, so the ground service is a big component of my experience. E+ is good, upgrades are gravy. i like that gravy, tho.
What: who knows... the conventional wisdom around here is that the poor economy means more of a focus on billable services, which could get me more time on the road. but, probably no RTW this year. as always, i'll start the year hoping for 100k, but counting on 50k. it looks like YUL will be a common destination again this year, which will make earning rough.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:43 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
2009 Thread

Who: Ingy Retired Mortgage Banker. Current Blogger

When: I reached 1K for the first time in late October

Where: Hawaii three times (non MR), Greece once, Alaska twice (MR) and domestic plenty.

What and How: DEQM made it for me. I would have been 1P without it. The 500 minimum did not effect me as SAV-IAD is 515 miles.

My travel is all leisure although I'll test the IRS this year with my blog as a business and travel as an expense??? I carry lots of credit cards but not the UA MP one. More of a TY Points kind of guy.

For me it was the year of the BUMP. I got bumped 3 times in my 2 Alaska MR's, and about 8 more times including one last week going to HNL. We were actually going to LIH and got rerouted directly there

I was able to get travel credits for all but two of the bumps, which paid with RT vouchers that I'll give to the kids. I'm still sitting on $1600 of bump vouchers and the two freebies.

And I got my first refare, actually three. I bought the Dec ticket to Hawaii in March and got $137 the first time, called to ask about the second $107 and the fantastic 1K agent actually told me about the third making it $267 instead of $107.

2009 will be all UA crediting. MR to SEA in Jan, Hawaii vacation in Feb, London MR in March, Traverse City to SLC on July 3rd (bump trip I hope) planned so far.

We'll go back to Hawaii in Dec '09 and maybe head to NZ before the year end if we need the miles for 2009 and return in January 2010 to start that year out.

I'll probably need DEQM again to hit 1K but will definitely make it to 1P.

Happy New Year and safe flying to all.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: UA-1K, CO-P, Marriott-P, Hyatt-P, National EE
Who: KarmaPolice - SIEMENS PLM Software Consultant
When: Will hit 1K on Dec 28th (100th & 101st segments)
How: Work work work... constantly flying to different customers around the country... a little bit of leisure in there though... this is my first year on FT too, so i've learned a lot about how to rack up the miles... had the DEQM, but sadly didn't get much from it, will be looking for other types of goodies next year, maybe i'll even join in on the team competition, though i don't know how much value i'd be to a team as i wonder how much my travel will go up (i don't do a lot of long hauls, so my mileage distance stays about the same)...
Where: Most frequent destinations this year were SJC/SFO, GSO, and MOB (US)... from my home bases of STL and IAH (just moved to IAH, liking the options out of there)...
Why: I care about status in that it makes things a little easier, I joined the RCC last year and kept it going this year (woo free internet, big thing this year!)... generally it makes travelling when on leisure a whole lot easier... i wouldn't neccesarily need it for work, but the E+ is nice for that too... the upgrades are sweet when they come around, but not that often, maybe next year with 1k there will be more...
What: I think next year will bring just as much travel, and with me being in IAH now and only having flights to DEN/ORD/SFO direct, i think i'll be getting more miles for my domestic travel, so same # of trips, just more miles ... am hoping to squeeze in a couple international trips too... one for work should be to Riyadh, then also hoping to get to Moscow (vacation) and somewhere else with the g/f over the summer...
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:52 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Who: bmvaughn, media industry
When: Hit 1K in early September, first time ever
How: About 1/3 business, 2/3 leisure. DEQM gave me a solid 17K, but I had 125k BIS, so no "lite" business. My most memorable flight of the year was meeting a crazy Ukrainian girl in the BOI airport who was getting sloshed because her boyfriend had just dumped her. I upgraded her to F using 1 e500 on the way to SFO, and she ended up latching onto me for my 4hr layover there. Ahhh behold the power of e500s.
Where: LAX (x16), SFO (x21), IAD (x8), DEN (x8), ORD (x7), PHX, MEX, BOI, MHT, CLT (x2), JAX, FRA (x3), LIS (x2), FNC, SAN, AUS, MSY, PDX, PIT, PVR, LGA, PHL (x4), BDL (x2)
Why: Sulum dies, iter novum.
What: I expect 55k EQM by 2/16/09 with 6 SWU still leftover, so I expect that 1K is again fairly easily in reach.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:00 am

Cool Just for Fun!

WHO: UALCAP
WHEN: I reach 1K every 3 or 4 months, and million mile every 3yrs or so. But for some reason I never get any "status"
HOW: For work, duh! But we also get in as much pleasure travel as time and schedule permit. Many co-workers state that the last thing they want to do is "go back to the airport". I can't wait...for vacation trips that is.
WHERE: From sea to shining sea and all points in between. Holidays in China and Australia. Sent my kid to France as an exchange student.
WHY: I have no "status", so it's not really important to me. My kids accrue mileage, back and forth to school (yes we buy "real" tickets). Maybe they'll want status some day.
WHAT: I'll just keep punching the clock and logging those miles. Hoping to see things turn around in 2009 rather than finding our once great airline as a footnote in aviation history books the following year.

I will now retreat to my Lurker's Lair.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:05 am

I'll bite...I have been mostly a lurker anyway...

Who: dc-flyer (mostly fly out of IAD)

When: October 2008, 1K

How: Mainly business flying verses personal (70/30). Work in M/H/B/Y (refundable usually) while personal travel is usually on lowball Y fares. A few trips on full Y/B helps with the EQMs, along with the double EQM that probably netted me an additional 5k EQMs. I would estimate my BIS at around 70-75k miles. This year was a bit unusual as I had two trips to Seoul and Frankfurt. Last three years I've been averaging 70k EQMs.

Where: ICN x 2, FRA x 2, HNL, SEA x 2, LAX x 2, LAS, NYC x 2, OMA, and maybe one or two more places I cannot remember right now.

Why: It's nice having access to E+ and a few upgrades here and there. I have never flown C or F without an upgrade instrument (except domestic full Y/B fare). Company policy only allows us in Y.

What: What’s your plan to achieve 2010 status, and where will you go?
Only sure business trips are a trip to Seoul and a trip to Kentucky so far. Nice little personal trip to HNL in Feb...Hopefully I can at least make 1P again.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:14 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
WHO: goalie banker (operations and compliance). sadly unemployed and looking for work
WHEN: as soon as the deqm promo posted (without it i would be a 1k who fell to gm)
HOW: a whole bunch of m/r's paid for with a whole bunch of vouchers
WHERE: mia, ord, las, sea (with a whole bunch fo stops along the way )
WHY: why does one have to ask about why status is important . for me, it's simply about being taken care of in irrops. if i fly f or c, great-but i'm still gonna get there if i fly in the village. it's when it hits the phan that i worry about and want to be taken care of.
WHAT: that depends on my employment situation. if my new job has travel in it, then that will help towards status. if not, then it's my sheckel to pay for both leisure trips and m/r's. now if employment doesn't come my way, hello gm <blech>
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:43 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Filling this out beats working!

Who: g_leyser
When: First week of November. Had 99K from travel by Oct 31st, and then some Visa EQMs posted to push me over.
How/Where: 1/3 business travel (including two trips to LHR in paid D and multiple E+ trips to LAS and IAH). 20K from MR to ANC during DEQM. Took advantage of two Mileage Run deals: ~$200 STL-HNL to visit friends in Hawaii, and ~$330 ORD-LHR for a wekend with friends.
Multiple personal trips to DEN, SEA. One each to ABQ, PVD, RNO, YYZ for weddings/parties. And a few thousand Visa EQMs for good measure.
Why: Upgrades, priority standby, upgrades, treatment during irregular opps, upgrades, upgrades, and upgrades.
What: 2009 will likely see a GRAVE reduction in business travel for me due to the economic situation, so I'm assuming I will return to 1P-ness as I had been the previous 5 years. But you never know.... I didn't think I would make 1K this year, and here I am!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
Who: Frekwentflier. Indianapolis, IN and Albany, NY
When: Dec 19, ORD-ALB, last UA flight of the year. Will hit 1K for the second year in a row.
How: All work-related. I don't really do Mileage Runs, but rather add-on long segments to my work travel. During the DEQM promotion, I made 3 BWI-SEA-ALB 1-way trips to beef up my EQMs. Also carried forward EQMs from the Elite Choice as well as the 5000 EQM Platinum Visa bonus. So I'm about as 1K lite as you can get. I'll end up with 91 segments, so even without DEQM, I would have still flown the extra segments to make 1K.
Where: IND, ORD, SFO, BWI, ALB, BKK, DEN, SEA, CID, and many others.
Why: I have to travel a lot for work, so I want the best treatment possible. Last year I made 1K on segments, this year thanks to DEQM and various bonuses, I'll make it on EQMs. Also my upgrade % is 100% this year!
What: 1K all the way! I hope my travel increases next year so I won't have to so so many added segment work mileage runs.

Last edited by frekwentflier; Dec 19, 2008 at 1:38 pm
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: UAL 1M/1K/*G, OnePass, Hhonners Diamond, National Executive, Hertz President's Circle
Smile In the ORD RCC waiting for my last paid trip for the year!

Who: choefman - Project Manager
When: May 13th ORD - LAX, 1K
How: Lot of domestic flights and a couple of international flights to the Philippines and Argentina. Mostly all for Business, a couple of MR's and some personal (award) travel.
Where: All over the US, a little Asia and couple of trips to South America.
Why: Upgrades, miles for free personal travel
What: 1K and 1MM, how I am not sure about yet!

Last edited by choefman; Dec 19, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.