Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Immediate Turn MR to Frankfurt- What to expect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K

I have an immediate turn mileage run to Frankfurt coming up in December. UA 944 arrive and 945 depart with 2 hours and 25 minutes between. I am wondering if fellow FTers can help with a few items:
  1. Am I forced to leave the sterile area and go through immigration? (Assuming yes, but not sure.)
  2. Is there any reason I can't get my return BP before leaving ORD, thus avoiding the FRA check-in counter?
  3. How is security arranged? Is it at the gate?
  4. Should I be concerned about the turnaround time?
  5. Is there any realistic opportunity to take a shower given my time constraints and lounge access?
  6. Any other tips or warnings?

Thanks

plenoach
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:43 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by plenoach
I have an immediate turn mileage run to Frankfurt coming up in December. UA 944 arrive and 945 depart with 2 hours and 25 minutes between. I am wondering if fellow FTers can help with a few items:
  1. Am I forced to leave the sterile area and go through immigration? (Assuming yes, but not sure.)
  2. Is there any reason I can't get my return BP before leaving ORD, thus avoiding the FRA check-in counter?
  5. Is there any realistic opportunity to take a shower given my time constraints and lounge access?

Thanks

plenoach
1. No immigration needed. Europe does international transfers all airside unlike the U.S.
2. Depends. I've gotten all my BPs at once when OLCI'ing, other times I've had to use the transit counter.
3. Near the gate, not necessarily at the gate.
4 & 5. 145 minutes is a lot of time assuming no delays/long line at the transit counter. I would think you'd have an extra 20 minutes to spare to jump into a lounge.

Happy MRing,

Chris
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K

Thanks

plenoach

Whoa. Sounds seriously painful. I think I would die on such an ordeal. Are you at leasting flying business class?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Whoa. Sounds seriously painful. I think I would die on such an ordeal. Are you at leasting flying business class?
It's really not that bad. I did LHR runs on back to back weekends these past few weeks. Bring a good book and have a couple drinks and it's just like having an idle weekend at home.

Chris
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Actually no. As I remember you could head directly to RCC without hitting any other security check. There, you could obtain your boarding pass where you might raise an eyebrow or two, but who cares? Showers will only be available to paid/award F/C though. You could head towards LH lounge but you will have to cross security. Worth it if you really need that shower and could not access them at RCC.

Honestly, I am not a big fan of FRA. It's just dreary/drab and the fact that RCC is very poor only adds to its unattractiveness. Good luck and have fun!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:52 am
Suspended

Two medium length flights in a row is painful???
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
I did that very turn around on a MR in Feb 2007.

They would not issue me a BP at ORD for the return, but you can always ask. Who knows. I was forced out of the sterile area in FRA because the transfer center was not open (it was a Sunday morning).

Immigration took all of 5 minutes, checkin took another 5, security took another 5, and exit immigration took another couple of minutes. Even with walking time I was out and back in in half an hour.

Interestingly, the exit immigration agent found the entry stamp and put the exit stamp neatly next to it (very German). He did not question the fact that my entry stamp said 2/4/07, and it was just 7AM on the same day and I was already leaving the country.

I proceeded to the dump referred to as the FRA RCC and drank steadily until the flight was called. Showers in the RCC, I believe, are for F only. And I can't remember seeing showers even in the FRA SEN lounge. Then I slept all the way home (IFE was busted and UA didn't give me squat for it).

You can't miss the plane out because it's the same plane you'll take in.

My advice is to stay up all night on the outbound flight and sleep all the way home (you'll get in arounf 10:30 AM). No jetlag!

Enjoy.
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
1. No immigration needed. Europe does international transfers all airside unlike the U.S.
4 & 5. 145 minutes is a lot of time assuming no delays/long line at the transit counter. I would think you'd have an extra 20 minutes to spare to jump into a lounge.

Happy MRing,

Chris
Thanks. Keeping transfers airside will help tremendously. I remember my surprise the first time I transferred through LHR and got off the bus to find myself outside security with barely 70 minutes to go before the next flight...

Well the alternative was a turn and burn to Dubai with 30 hours on the ground. This is cheaper, gets me just the miles I need, and saves a lot of weekend time in comparison. Not saying it won't take a toll, though.

I am booked in W (for a $120 RT premium), and my SWUs did not confirm at booking, but there are >20 C seats available, so I guess I am holding my breath that at least one of the int'l legs will clear.

plenoach

Originally Posted by gre
I did that very turn around on a MR in Feb 2007.

... I was forced out of the sterile area in FRA because the transfer center was not open (it was a Sunday morning).
Alas, my arrival is Sunday morning...

Originally Posted by gre
You can't miss the plane out because it's the same plane you'll take in.
Roger that. It was one of the reasons I chose this combo. Good risk-reduction!

Originally Posted by gre
My advice is to stay up all night on the outbound flight and sleep all the way home (you'll get in arounf 10:30 AM). No jetlag!
That occurred to me as I was entering the flight legs in Outlook last night. Sounds great in theory......hopefully I am man enough to stay awake.

plenoach

It's really not that bad. I did LHR runs on back to back weekends these past few weeks. Bring a good book and have a couple drinks and it's just like having an idle weekend at home.

Chris
Chris- did you have any legs in Economy?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 20, 2008 at 11:30 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Numerous times I could not get my UA BPs, when my first leg was an intra-EU connecting flight into FRA, at check-in at the originating airport. I always was able to get the my BPs at the RCC, never been any questions asked. Often I also get my new BP at RCC, when an upgrade clears.

I would imagine it to be no problem for the OP, saving him a trip thru immigration & down to the departure hall. Security check will be in the gate area.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:23 am

Chris- did you have any legs in Economy?
All of 'em except one ORD-IAD which I e-500'ed to sit in business on the 3-class 777 (something I hadn't done before).

Chris
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:28 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Unless the OP does not check any luggage no immigration is required. There will be another security check as you arrive semi-sterile (with US security, you are not sterile enough for the EU to let you aboard a US plane ...).

But it's no biggie - no shoe carnival but lots of explosive sniffing of computers and harddisks and cameras .
Originally Posted by jef7
Actually no. As I remember you could head directly to RCC without hitting any other security check. There, you could obtain your boarding pass where you might raise an eyebrow or two, but who cares? Showers will only be available to paid/award F/C though. You could head towards LH lounge but you will have to cross security. Worth it if you really need that shower and could not access them at RCC.
No longer. For most of my US departures this year, I had to use the LH lounge .. which is great as it means food (especially past the inedible UA breakfast) and showers.
Honestly, I am not a big fan of FRA. It's just dreary/drab and the fact that RCC is very poor only adds to its unattractiveness. Good luck and have fun!
The RCC is crap but quite likely the OP will have access to a real lounge and even the chance to do some duty free shopping!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Originally Posted by weero
The RCC is crap but quite likely the OP will have access to a real lounge and even the chance to do some duty free shopping!
Yeah, you're right. On a second thought, I really shouldn't say dreary since FRA isn't all that bad if you're sticking with LH lounges. I just remember the LH lounge by gate C16 I used recently, which was absolutely wonderful.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Was just about to say, what are you all about the RCC ?

The OP is 1K/*G so he can use the LH lounges. There is one right next to the transfer desk in Central Transit Area B.

If UA departs from the C gates there are the great new lounges.

The LAX flight at least had A58 in the recent months so the OP might have to change concourses.

I see much more time here than "20 minutes for the lounge" as 2.5 hours is more than enough time for a turnaround in FRA, if the incoming flight is on time !

The OP might consider a buy-up on the return flight to make it not all that painful if he is booked in coach. However I did a LAX-JFK-FRA-LAX turnaround and yes I was pretty tired afterwards but I survived. E+ isnt that bad after all.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:45 am
Original Poster

All of 'em except one ORD-IAD which I e-500'ed to sit in business on the 3-class 777 (something I hadn't done before).

Chris
That is pretty good dedication knowing you'll be in Economy the entire time...maybe my hope of getting the upgrade to clear is helping my morale...
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
The LAX flight at least had A58 in the recent months so the OP might have to change concourses.
Yeah, that Sen Lounge in the A concourse at p.m. was always quiet and uncrowded.
Unfortunately FRA-LAX is gone. I hope we'll see it back soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.