Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a married segment?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Is this a married segment?

I am on DL 1185 from DCA-LAX. It is a direct flight with a stop in SLC. I am concerned that one of the segments won't clear and since it is a "direct" flight neither will clear. I have called and they tell me that since it is a direct flight with no change in equipment, I can not separate the segments and allow them to clear individually. Is this how it works or am I just asking for the wrong thing? I was under the impression that if it was a married segment you could "divorce" them and they would clear irrespective of each other.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:30 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by El Boocho
I am on DL 1185 from DCA-LAX. It is a direct flight with a stop in SLC. I am concerned that one of the segments won't clear and since it is a "direct" flight neither will clear. I have called and they tell me that since it is a direct flight with no change in equipment, I can not separate the segments and allow them to clear individually. Is this how it works or am I just asking for the wrong thing? I was under the impression that if it was a married segment you could "divorce" them and they would clear irrespective of each other.
"Married segments" are different from a direct flight. Sometimes airlines can "divorce" married segments. But I have never heard of them being able to separate a direct flight into two segments.

Married segments - giving different availability for two separate flights than for each flight individually. Example - LAX-ATL-CAE might be available in T class for all segments but LAX-ATL and ATL-CAE both show T as being sold out when looked at individually.

Direct flight - this is just one segment. If you really wanted to break out the two portions of the flight, when you booked it, you should have booked two segments - DCA-SLC and SLC-LAX. You would have paid more in taxes - an extra $2.50 in AY security fee for the extra flight segment.

John
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti
"Married segments" are different from a direct flight. Sometimes airlines can "divorce" married segments. But I have never heard of them being able to separate a direct flight into two segments.

Married segments - giving different availability for two separate flights than for each flight individually. Example - LAX-ATL-CAE might be available in T class for all segments but LAX-ATL and ATL-CAE both show T as being sold out when looked at individually.

Direct flight - this is just one segment. If you really wanted to break out the two portions of the flight, when you booked it, you should have booked two segments - DCA-SLC and SLC-LAX. You would have paid more in taxes - an extra $2.50 in AY security fee for the extra flight segment.

John
I looked at doing it that way. It was $300 more. Maybe I'll try to change it to SNA instead. I am still inside my 24hr cancellation period. Thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Just another reason direct flights should not exist. Horrible idea from the FFer standpoint (less miles, harder to upgrade, and odds are you'll still have to change planes).
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

I just cancelled the orginal and am flying into SNA now. Actually was a couple of dollars cheaper. Had to talk to an agent due an oddity in the booking. She could not have been sweeter or more helpful. It's not like she was doing me any favors, but great customer service. I kept waiting for their to be a problem, but nothing but smooth sailing.^
Old Nov 18, 2008, 6:07 pm

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by mersk862
Just another reason direct flights should not exist. Horrible idea from the FFer standpoint (less miles, harder to upgrade, and odds are you'll still have to change planes).
They also stink on airlines that allow you to qualify on segments. A direct flight counts as one segment, not the usual two.

I know NW allows you to qualify on segments, and the rumor is DL may add this to the SM program. If they do, it will be another reason to avoid direct flights.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:20 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by El Boocho
I looked at doing it that way. It was $300 more. Maybe I'll try to change it to SNA instead. I am still inside my 24hr cancellation period. Thanks for the advice.
That can happen - if they show lower fare classes DCA-LAX on the non stop but only higher fare classes on DCA-SLC and/or SLC-LAX.

Glad that it worked out for you in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.