Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: Sir Michael Bishop sells bmi to Lufthansa !!!

Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Guten Morgan my friends !!!

29.10.2008 09:11
Lufthansa spricht mit Bishop über künftige Struktur bei bmi
FRANKFURT (Dow Jones)--Die Deutsche Lufthansa AG, Frankfurt, spricht derzeit mit der britischen Airline British Midland plc (bmi) und ihrem Hauptaktionär Michael Bishop über die künftige Struktur der Airline. Michael Bishop habe am 10. Oktober 2008 eine Option ausgeübt, die Lufthansa dazu verpflichte, 50% plus einer Aktie an bmi zu erwerben, teilte Lufthansa am Mittwoch mit. Diese Option sei Teil eines Shareholder Agreement.

Lufthansa geht davon aus, dass diese Option nicht vor dem 12. Januar 2009 wirksam werde, hieß es weiter.

Webseite: http://www.lufthansa-financials.com

-Von Kirsten Bienk, Dow Jones Newswires, +49 (0)40 3574 3116, [email protected] DJG/kib/nas
(END) Dow Jones Newswires

http://www.faz.net/d/invest/meldung.aspx?id=87819047
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Anyone speak German?!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Let the speculations begin

Who will be SEN next year ?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
That doesnt automatically say that LH will actually buy or am I wrong !?

Bishop put the option that LH has to purchase 50% plus a single share. This option is part of the shareholder agreement. LH doesnt expect it to become valid before JAN12 2009.

So if LH doesnt purchase these shares they are out ?

Cant really say anything about this topic as I have not the slightest clue about investment etc !
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Never mind your status - thinking about the future of routes and staff...

Confirmed by bmi, statements to follow.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
That doesnt automatically say that LH will actually buy or am I wrong !?

Bishop put the option that LH has to purchase 50% plus a single share. This option is part of the shareholder agreement. LH doesnt expect it to become valid before JAN12 2009.

Cant really say anything about this topic as I have not the slightest clue about investment etc !
Its a done deal . LH will most certainly sign on the dotted line.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
LH would have no choice: they would have to buy (unless SMB and LH come to another agreement, of course).
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by o0herbie
Anyone speak German?!
Windows Live Translator does (almost) :

" 29.10.2008 09:11
Lufthansa speaks with Bishop on future structure BMI
Frankfurt (Dow Jones) -- big Deutsche Lufthansa AG, Frankfurt, speaks currently with the British airline British Midland plc (BMI) and your main shareholder Michael Bishop on the future structure of the airline. Michael Bishop have 10. October 2008 An option exercised Lufthansa obligation, 50% plus a share to BMI to acquire, Lufthansa on Wednesday. This option is part of a shareholder agreement.

Lufthansa assumes that this option is not before 12. January 2009 will take effect, next.

Web page:. Lufthansa financials.

-Von Kirsten Bienk, Dow Jones Newswires, +49 (0)40 3574 3116, [email protected] DJG/kib/nas
(END) Dow Jones Newswires

October 29, 2008 04:11 ET (08:11 GMT)

© 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
"
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Lufthansa: Talks On Future BMI Structure,Put Option Exercised
29 October 2008
Dow Jones International News
(c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

FRANKFURT (Dow Jones)--German flag carrier Deutsche Lufthansa AG (LHA.XE) Wednesday said it is in talks with Michael Bishop, founder of British Midland Airways Ltd., or BMI, over the future structure of the U.K. airline.

In its third-quarter report, Lufthansa said Bishop has exercised a put option, which requires Lufthansa to purchase his 50% plus one share stake in BMI.

The completion of the BMI put option exercise isn't expected to occur before Jan. 12, Lufthansa said.

Lufthansa already owns a 30% stake in BMI. The remaining 20% are owned by SAS AB (SAS.SK).

BMI is a small airline by global standards but has a valuable asset. It controls 11% of the takeoff and landing slots at London's popular Heathrow Airport, the world's busiest international airport, placing it second after British Airways PLC (BAY.LN), which controls more than 40% of the slots this summer. Lufthansa and its subsidiary Swiss International Air Lines together have 5%. Lufthansa bought Swiss in 2005.

Lufthansa further said it will acquire the remaining shares in its regional air carrier Eurowings from AK Industriebeteiligung GmbH. The shares will be transferred as of Dec. 31, the company said without providing further details.

Lufthansa's comments are the latest sign that the European airline sector continues to consolidate and the German airline remains one of the main mergers and acquisitions engines.

Lufthansa has placed an offer for Austrian Airlines AG (AUA.VI) and has stated interest in Alitalia SpA (AZA.MI). Media reports have also mentioned its interest in SAS AB (SAS.SK).

Company Web site: www.lufthansa-financials.com
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
It is an "irrevocable process" says bmi...but of course it needs regulatory and shareholder approval. 12 Jan is the earliest that the ownership would change, it says.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Never mind your status - thinking about the future of routes and staff...

Confirmed by bmi, statements to follow.
Well even if, they will give away status away only for a year like with the Varig match. So I better requalify instead waiting for a possible match.

And should it come opening another account and getting another 2 e-vouchers
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
Presumably doesn't necessarily mean Lufthansa has to KEEP its share in bmi - I guess it could immediately sell the holding on again to another interested party, if it so wanted (and if such another party existed)...

A
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:40 am
Original Poster

I dont think the EU will stand in their way either. Especially not when they have given other carriers the go ahead.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It's game over for Diamond Club. Time to work out exactly how many miles you can earn between now and a) Jan 12th for 100% certainty and b) the end of 2009 if you're willing to take a risk, and get those redemptions booked.

I assume - and this is a separate thread, I suppose - that the logical thing to do would be to book for the ROUTE you want, even if the dates are useless, and then pay the rebooking fee to move the date backwards. So, for instance, if we were planning to go to BKK in Feb 2010, I should book flights for, say, Nov 2009 (because that is the best I will get if I have to book before Jan 12th) and then simply change the date later to Feb 2010.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:43 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I bet the lines to the ICC are going to be jammed for the next few days

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.