Search

Heathrow T5 to JFK on British Airways – Seat 64A Upper Deck - Club World

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Heathrow T5 to JFK on British Airways – Seat 64A Upper Deck - Club World

Hi all,

This is my first TR so any comments or feedback is very welcome.

Note that there are quite a few pics. For best viewing be sure to enable to the 'in line' viewing option in your options menu under 'My FlyerTalk'.
Clicking on an image opens a window with an enlarged version.

I’ve been lucky enough to land a 6 month role on a project in New York (I live near London normally) so I’ve got about 4-5 return trips planned over the coming months. Each time I’ve used my points to upgrade from World Traveller Plus (premium economy) to Club World (business). At 25,000 miles I believe this to be a bit of a bargain. The lowest WT+ fare at the moment is about £650, the lowest club fare is about £1800, so that’s £1150 worth of value. To put this in context, 50,000 miles (double!) would buy me a free economy return ticket, but I’d still have to pay the taxes. Using my points for an upgrade also means that I get miles back, and tier points, for booking a premium economy fare. Each upgrade to New York and back costs 25,000 but earns approx 9000 miles and 150 tier points.
For me, this is the best way to use my miles and I also like the fact that I can convert my many Marriott points into BA miles as well.

Booking
Booking award fares is always a hassle I find. Unless you book many months in advance you’ll always need to compromise in some way. Luckily, the LHR-NYC route is one of the most available for award travel so there are often a large number of flights available to choose from at the time of booking. I booked these flights about 3 weeks in advance of my outbound flight. At the time of booking only a couple of outbound flights were available and only morning flights were available inbound.

I booked Tuesday departure as I needed to spend Monday packing etc Incidentally, Tuesday was also my birthday, so I knew it would be a nice treat.
I booked the outbound leg on BA115 leaving LHR at 17:00 and my inbound leg on the 23rd of October. Both 747 operated services. This is important to me as I like to fly upstairs if I can. The privacy and extra space is preferable to the larger cabins downstairs. In addition, all of the 747’s have the Next Generation Club World (NGCW) seat. Not all of the 777’s have this available yet. (I’ll be comparing the two when I complete my flights in Nov and Dec of this year).

Online Check In
OLCI opened at 5pm on Monday the 15th. I always find this stressful as I like to book the best seat I possibly can. At 4.58 I was at my computer clicking on the ‘check in online’ button on BA.com. After a couple of tries I got through. I’d already worked out a preference order for my seat choice. It went something like this (1 is better):
  1. 64 A or K (upper deck)
  2. 62 A or K (upper deck)
  3. Any upper deck window seat
  4. Any lower deck window seat in the forward cabin (rows 12-14)
  5. Any lower deck window seat in the rear cabin

I’ve previously flown in 62A before and found it very private (with the privacy screen up), apart from being able to see the person in 63B from my seat. I’d also flown in 60A and I must say that I found this to be almost as good if not better for privacy due to having no line of sight to anyone in front. The window bins were smaller in size however.

I had www.seatguru.com open on my computer with both the seat maps for High J (70 business class seats) and Mid J (52 business class seats) configurations displayed to refer to quickly once the available seats were displayed.
I was glad to see that I’d be flying on a high J configuration. I must admit (call me a snob) but I don’t like having the WT+ between first and club, it just doesn’t seem right.

The system had assigned me 17K which isn’t a bad seat but is low on my preference list. I quickly switched to the upper deck, not much availability but surprisingly, 64A was available so I quickly snatched this. However, in my mind, I was concerned about getting bumped out of this seat should it be required for someone with a child. I thought it was worth the risk, given that it is one of the top rated (if not the top rated seat) on the upper deck.

I chose not to print my boarding pass, I didn’t see the point as I have to go to the check in desks anyway to drop of my bags.

Day of the Flight - Tuesday 16th of Sept (my birthday)

Getting to the airport
I’d booked a taxi to pick me up at 12pm. It takes just over an hour to get to Heathrow from my house giving me loads of time in the Galleries lounge(s). I also wanted the extra time to explore T5 a little bit more. Last time I pretty much just stayed in the lounge until my flight was called and felt as though I missed out on appreciating T5 fully.

The taxi was right on time and to my surprise it was a nice silver E-Class Mercedes. Can’t complain about that. It took about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to T5, no traffic issues on the M25.

Checking In/Bag Drop/Security
I thought that I would try out the ‘Club’ check in at zone H. It wasn’t anything special. You’d easily walk past it without noticing.

As I’ve found when I’ve travelled mid-week before, there was no queue for check-in. The friendly agent checked me in about a minute or so.
Walked to security south, again very quick. No celebrities this time. Last time I managed to hit Vinnie Jones in the arm with one of the security trays.

T5 Check-in

I noticed the door to the Concorde room which was very well policed. Maybe one day I'll be able to step inside.

Entrance to the Concorde Room

I had a wander around T5, it is quite impressive, but actually smaller than I remember from my travel a few weeks ago. Maybe it is due to the fact that it is split into two distinct areas, north and south.

T5A Departure Lounge

Lounges – T5A South Galleries

After taking a few snaps I went up to the lounge. I don’t know what the silver ‘thing’ is attached to the ceiling as you go up to the escalators but it’s pretty cool. I like the way it changes, very innovative, as is the massive clock at the lounge entrance.

Escalators to the lounges

BA's world clock

I went to the Elemis Spa reception to book my massage. I’m of the opinion that this service isn’t as good as when Molton Brown offered the treatments, although the spa area itself is better. I remember getting a full back massage with oils in T4. Here you get a 15 minute clothed session, which is definitely worth doing if you have the time but not to be cried over if you don’t.

After booking I headed up to the Galleries Lounge (South) at the top of T5. The lady at the desk scanned my boarding pass and I was in. It was fairly busy today. I sought out my usual spot in the far left corner, near the windows overlooking the runway. There was a very loud self-important business man on his mobile who was incredibly annoying. I don’t understand why people think it is acceptable to talk SO loudly on their phones. I do use my mobile in the lounge but keep it to a whisper because I know how annoying it is. Anyway, after about 20 mins he buggered off, presumably to take care of some ‘important’ business. I hoped that he wasn’t on my flight.

T5A Galleries Lounge - View from my seat

I went up to the food bar in the middle of the lounge. Nothing too exciting to be honest, some hot sauces with rice or pasta, hot rolls and the salad bar with cold sandwiches. The cereal station was also still out. I can’t decide whether this is weird or funky. I have been known to have cereal in the evening but not sure I’d do it in a public lounge! Unfortunately, there was nothing telling you what anything was though. I took a risk with a hot roll but it turned out to be tuna. I’m not a fan.

I got my laptop out and got connected to the Wifi. I noticed that there are a couple of Wifi connections available in the lounge. Having read some threads on this on FT I made sure that I connected to the right one ‘BALoungeWifi’, rather than the BT Openzone connection or ‘The Cloud’. I went to a webpage and got the splash page, entered my email address and was connected. I was even able to use my VPN to check my work email and the speed was excellent. Very happy with this.

After checking over a few threads on FT and taking a few (discrete) snaps it was time for my massage appointment.

I went downstairs to the spa and sat down to fill out the paperwork. My masseur was a French guy who was very pleasant throughout, however, his technique was rather harsh and I’m not sure that I enjoyed the experience. I also don’t like the way that the staff try to sell you their products almost relentlessly. I don’t remember Molton Brown doing this. For me it tarnishes the experience.

Back to the lounge and time for a bit of exploring. This lounge is much bigger than I first thought, with lots of secluded nooks and crannies. I found that people tended to congregate around the windows to the left of the lounge (as you enter). However, there were less crowded and just as pleasant spots to the right.

Some general views of the lounge:

Empty coffee area to the right of the entrance

Wine bar

Knowing that I could (thanks FT again), I ordered a glass of champagne from one of the waitresses. Well why not, it was my birthday after all!

My massive glass of champagne plus FlyerTalk!

Soon after I received it I saw on the board that my flight was going from satellite B. Good news as I wanted to try out the new lounge there. With only an hour and 15 to go before push back I had to drink up quickly and head for T5B.

I went downstairs to take the transit to T5B, luckily a train was already waiting so I quickly hopped on-board to take the very quick journey.
On arrival I headed straight for the T5B Galleries lounge which had only opened the day before.

Very cool view coming up the escalator at T5B

T5B Galleries Lounge

Entrance to the T5B Galleries Lounge

First impressions were very good. The lounge is deceptively big as it is oblong, rather than square with long sections dividing the lounge into different functional areas. As you’d expect there are relaxation, dining and work areas. There is also an Elemis Spa area, although I did not have time to check this out. I probably wouldn’t be allowed anyway as I had already had one treatment in the main terminal.

T5B Seating Area

T5B Main Bar

View from T5B lounge

The lounge is to the same standard as the main galleries south lounge with the furnishings being the same. It was very quiet as you may expect. The lounge offers everything that the T5A South Lounge offers and I don’t see any reason not to make the trip here directly after passing through security, so long as you can guarantee that your flight leaves from T5B. If anything, it is likely to be quieter at the moment, but time will tell.

Boarding

I only had about 15-20 minutes in the lounge before the screen showed that my flight was boarding. It did say ‘Gate Open’ before that but I wasn’t sure exactly what that meant. I arrived at the gate (B38) to find hardly any queues. Either most people were on-board or this flight was due to have a light load today. No ‘beep’ when I presented my boarding card so no op-up but luckily, no seat change either. So I was happy.

My plane

The Flight

Flight Number: BA115
Route: LHR – JFK
Date: 16th September 2008
Scheduled Push Back: 17:00
Actual Push Back: 17:20 (take off 17.40)
Scheduled Flight Time: 7h 35m
Airline: British Airways
Equipment: Boeing 747-400, Reg: G-BNLE
Seat: 64A Upper Deck (Club World/Business)

Upon boarding (through door 2L) I was met by the CSD who greeted me by name and directed me upstairs. She also told me that I had “two gems up there today” which put a smile on my face. Fantastic, I was really looking forward to the service.

I made my way upstairs, found my seat, 64A and was welcomed by a lovely French female crew member (named ‘V’). She seemed very genuine and friendly. Great stuff so far. We also had an Irish female FA who was also very good.

There was hardly anybody upstairs when I boarded so time for a few snaps.
I unpacked my bags, laptop, cables, magazines, iPod etc into the four window side bins that I had available to me. 64A really does well for storage space.

Upper Deck Club World Cabin

My seat, 64A

I was offered the usual champagne, orange juice or water and took the champagne and the OJ, mixing them. I decided that I’d already had enough champagne in the lounge so didn’t want to go overboard. I did this a few years back on a flight to Chicago and felt absolutely ill on arrival, lesson learned.

My seat mate boarded and seemed rather grumpy. I overheard the crew saying that he was not able to sit together with his wife. Uh-oh, thoughts of me having to change seat came to mind. I was asked, but politely declined, V seemed perfectly ok with this. I wasn’t about to give up one of the best seats on the upper deck so that grumpy chops and his wife (who boarded with sun glasses) could sit together.
Eventually, they were offered seats together downstairs in the forward cabin but after all that fuss, they declined.

The captain informed us that there were currently 15 minute or so delays for departures and that he had decided to sit on the stand, given that we were so close to the runway anyway.

We pushed back at about 17.20 and took off at about 17.40. The take off was very smooth. We departed from the runway closest to T4 (south runway?), and immediately turned right. A few minutes later I was enjoying some sunshine out of no less than four upper windows next to me. Almost immediately, my seat mate stuck the privacy screen up, which was fine by me.

Service started about fifteen minutes after take off. The crew had already prepared the drinks trolleys so it was just a case of rolling them out. The choices were good, three whites and two reds plus champagne and spirits. I chose the Hahn Estates Chardonnay and some water. I hadn’t seen this chardonnay on-board before. It was lovely, certainly medium, rather than dry and quite fruity as the blurb in the menu suggested.

Food orders were taken, again, by name, with V making her way round and sitting on the window bins to take my order. I ordered the cheese mousse and the lamb. She informed me that they might run out of the lamb and asked me to make a second choice in case no spares were available downstairs. Great service again.
At this point, no less than an hour into the flight I’d already decided to write a letter of praise to BA. There was simply no comparison to the service on this flight than the one I had a few weeks ago.

Just under an hour after take off the dinner service began. Like the order taking, service was from the front of the cabin, row 60 > row 64.

Starter - Salad plus cheese mousse

Starter - Asian spiced lamb with vegetables

Dinner was ok, I have had better in club before. I found the cheese mousse a bit heavy but ok, the salad dressing as always was quite spicy! V had managed to find me a spare lamb dish which was good if not a bit fatty.

Drinks were kept well topped up throughout dinner, I had my glass refilled about four or five times, with water I might add, I’d had enough alcohol at this point. For desert I had the cheesecake (no photo sorry) which was excellent. I was then offered tea and coffee. As I had the noise cancelling headphones in V used some sign language to ask me if I wanted ‘T’ or ‘C’, all very good natured.

The dinner service ended about 2 hours after takeoff whereby I was handed a bottle of water and the CSD came around with the usual landing forms etc.

Despite it only being 8pm UK time I was starting to feel quite tired already, so I thought that it might be worth watching a film. Full AVOD was available on board with about 30 or so films in the ‘new releases’ category. I chose to watch Prince Caspian (of the Narnia series) and reclined my seat into a comfortable position.

Stupid amounts of leg room and storage space!

Once the film had finished I decided to take a wander downstairs to check out the other cabins. Peeking first into the forward Club World cabin, I noted that it seemed fairly full. Working my way to the back of the plane, the rear Club World cabin also seemed full, World Traveller Plus was almost empty with only about 5 or 6 seats occupied. In the daylight, the WT+ cabin seemed very welcoming and quite cosy, probably due to the small number of seats. Moving again the first World Traveller cabin seemed full as did the rear cabin. I don’t know if this is a deliberate feature but I always find the cabins on the BA 747’s very well segregated into smaller cabins. Compare this to other airlines that I have flown own, say Qantas, with seats stretching for seemingly miles towards the front of the plane. I much prefer the BA set up.

On my return to the upper deck I saw that the CSD was sitting at her work station (under the stairs) so I asked her if she had a feedback form so that I could put my compliments about V in writing. She gave me a form and we had a quick chat about my previous experience only a few weeks ago where the crew upstairs were far from friendly. She asked if I spoke to the CSD at the time, I said that I didn’t and she urged me to do so in the future if a problem like that occurs again. She said that it is better for her to know so that it could be dealt with at the time.

The remainder of the flight was uneventful, hardly any turbulence at all.
I didn’t manage to get any sleep, I wasn’t that tired in the end and a lot of people still had their blinds open so the cabin was not particularly dark.

About two hours from landing the crew came around with hot towels and then about 20 minutes later the sandwich service started. These were ok, not particular favourite fillings of mine but suitable. To be honest, I wasn’t that hungry.

The captain came over about 40 minutes to landing and informed everyone that there was 20 minutes left before the seat belt sign would be switched on. At this point, the light outside was fantastic so I took a few trips up and down the stairs to get the best views of the sunset. V and her crew mate noticed this and took an interest, suggesting that I go over to the one of the windows by the upper deck doors to get a better view. V even joked with me about getting a photo from the cockpit!

Sunset

Sunset as we get close to JFK

We landed at about 7.40, only 5 minutes behind schedule. One thing I noticed about the landing is that it took a very long time to come to a halt. When we turned off the runway we were actually right at the end, about 50 metres or so from ending up in a ditch.

We taxied for about 15 minutes or so before getting on stand. Disembarking was very quick. The CSD was at the door (1L) and she thanked me again for the feedback on V.

Arrival

I, like my fellow passengers, pretty much legged it to immigration, knowing what the queues could be like. Luckily, it wasn’t too bad and I only waited about 20 minutes or so. Once through, I had to wait about half an hour for a taxi, but at least I was on my way to Manhattan.

Verdict

I was so impressed with the service on board my flight. The two ladies upstairs looking after me did a fantastic job and the CSD seemed genuinely friendly. They really set the standard today in my opinion. I only wish that all my flight were like that.

I enjoyed 64A and can definitely see it’s appeal. The amount of room around the seat is ridiculous, throw in the fact that you have four windows plus four window bins to yourself, you can get out of your seat without disturbing anyone and you can be first off the upper deck I can’t fault 64A at all!

I hope you enjoyed my first trip report. I certainly enjoyed writing it. Any comments are more than welcome.

Last edited by matthandy; Jan 10, 2016 at 9:45 am Reason: Replacing the image links to move them to my new server
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:33 pm

well done on your first trip report! Very comprehensive and nice pics as well.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Great report! thanks a lot
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:53 am

Great Report. I loved the pictures. It seems that you are the first to post pictures of the new lounge in T-5B. The lounge looks very inviting. Enjoy your time in NYC!!! Please give us more Trip Reports on your upcoming flights.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 1:16 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Absolutely smashing report! I loved the pictures and descriptions of T-5 and I'm glad to see BA still has some great cabin crews. Hope to read more of your reports in the future. ^
Old Sep 17, 2008, 1:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Nice trip report. I enjoyed the part about the grumpy seat mate and you not swapping - good for you ^

The pictures are very good and the T5B lounge looks nice ,but not nice enough for me to leave the CCR and go across there, as all my long haul is in F

The only time I could possibly see me using it, is on a CE flight departing from T5B but then I suspect it will get a lot busier and wouldn't be as pleasant as when you visited, so it's probably best to stay in Galleries First in T5A.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 2:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by matthandy
Hi all,

This is my first TR so any comments or feedback is very welcome.

Note that there are quite a few pics. For best viewing be sure to enable to the 'in line' viewing option in your options menu under 'My FlyerTalk'.
Clicking on an image opens a window with an enlarged version.
Thanks for that tip - very useful ^

After taking a few snaps I went up to the lounge. I don’t know what the silver ‘thing’ is attached to the ceiling as you go up to the escalators but it’s pretty cool. I like the way it changes, very innovative, as is the massive clock at the lounge entrance.
It's called The Cloud by Troika. A couple of YouTube videos of it:

In action

Installation

Nice TR, thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Great Trip Report!

Oh I need to go book a ticket now as haven't flown in, err, weeks!

You mention them trying to sell you the Elemis Products? I have never had them do that to me but would love to get some of the Pappya Enzyme Peel! Great stuff!
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:17 am

Great report
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Very impressive report! ^
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: BA GGL
Thanks for the report, really enjoyed reading it. And good on you for giving the feedback to the crew.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:02 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Since nobody said "Happy Birthday", I am -belatedly -saying it now.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Irish lad
Thanks for the report, really enjoyed reading it. And good on you for giving the feedback to the crew.
Thanks! I've had a couple of bad crews before so when I get a good one I think it is worth giving them appropriate feedback. V really did an excellent job. Both of the FA's upstairs seemed to get on really well, maybe that helped. I know that giving feedback helps with their annual performance reviews etc, so it is always worth doing if they have been exceptional.

Originally Posted by Vaclav
Since nobody said "Happy Birthday", I am -belatedly -saying it now.
Thank you, it was a good way to spend a birthday. Must admit though it would have been more fun travelling with someone. At least the food and alcohol were free!
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Matt,

An absolutely splendid report.

Happy Belated Birthday to you as well!

Hope you fancy the idea of writing up your return as well!

zz
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Hope you fancy the idea of writing up your return as well!
I plan to, as it is a morning flight, I've not done one of those from the US before. I'm interested to see how it compares and how tired I am afterwards.
It won't be for a few weeks yet though, I travel on the 23rd of Oct.

Thanks for your comments!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.