Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA 🔹Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
What are AAdvantage Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it?

Platinum status requirements*: in one calendar year, earn 50,000 EQ Miles or fly 60 EQ Segments (in 2017, AND earn $6,000 EQDs)

C/Y Platinum status requirements: $6,000 EQD*, PLUS 60 segments or 50,000 EQ Miles

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Members no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American during the qualifying year to receive elite status; this requirement was eliminated in 2017.

Status will last that status year and the following status year - status earned in 2018 will last through 31 Jan 2020.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (as of 1 August 2016, only applies to EQM)
  • 60% elite mileage bonus NOTE: (8 miles per "fare dollar" (base fare + carrier imposed fees, not taxes) as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld benefits (see below)
  • Alaska Airlines benefits (see below)
Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • NOTE: Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines NOT available
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 48-hour upgrade window (changed from 72 hours in 2017)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Use earned or purchased 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours (48 in 2017)
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Gold and Platinum members will get four 500-mile upgrades for every 12,500 elite-qualifying miles you earn during the membership year after you achieve status.
Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers
Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • NOTE: Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit
oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges
*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to AA Platinum Member's Guide in PDF form (2013).

Link to Archive of older posts from this thread.

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Subject is kind of worded funny but here is my dilemma. I usually fly UA from out of a regional airport & came close to hitting Mileage plus silver (aa gold equivelant) last year. It would have been purely on segments, not even close with miles.

In March I am going to be flying to Europe & back. AA has the cheapest fare and I figured it might be a good time to do a challenge. At .5 point earning I pretty much will fly enough to earn 5000 points. If I pay the extra $120 and an extra $350 for the higher class I can get 1 point per mile and hit platinum. My question would be is it worth paying the extra? Is there that much of a benefit?

For the most part I only fly domestically about 5-6 times a year (but will probably fly to S America later this year) and as I said, usually only United & to be honest I would probably use a United challenge after I get status on AA. If I had platinum I might use AA more though. Is there any real benefit of platinum besides the extra mileage earning? Its my understanding that unlike United you have to buy your upgrades, they aren't just given out based on availability. Thanks!
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 25, 2018 at 10:59 am Reason: Add status chart
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Platinum would give you lounge access on international itineraries (Europe, S America, Mexico City and Asia). You'd also have a much better chance of upgrades clearing compared to being Gold.

AA gives Golds and Platinums four 500 mile e-upgrades (fka "stickers") for every 10k miles flown, so that's equal to at least 20% of your domestic flying. You earn them on AA/Oneworld miles flown and you can only use them on domestic flights (50 states, Canada, Mexico, Central America and Caribbean). Is platinum worth the extra money? Only you can answer that one.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:21 pm

Keep in mind that with a March challenge you will have your status until February 2014, NOT February 2015 (per the wiki, anyway).

Challenges starting (or maybe completing?) in July or later will give status through February 2015.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by djibouti
Keep in mind that with a March challenge you will have your status until February 2014, NOT February 2015 (per the wiki, anyway).

Challenges starting (or maybe completing?) in July or later will give status through February 2015.
Starting June 16 or later.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
if you cant even qualify for status on your primary airline not very likely you fly enough to worry about the status.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Once you achieve PLAT status, you will receive 100% bonus of miles flown, versus 25% for GLD. At $0.02 per mile, flying at least 30k miles as PLAT could be considered a break-even proposition.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
OK, just to hijack the thread slightly, can anyone explain what the point of a status challenge is?! As in, why would I pay money to do one?

If I'm going to be flying to China in April, Australia in May, and New Zealand (via Oz in August & Fiji in Dec) plus half a dozen US flights then I'll rack up the miles for PLT after the first Oz trip in May: wouldn't I get PLT status at that point anyway? Surely I'm missing something here, but I've read through the various stickies and nowhere does it say why anyone would pay money to do this challenge.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL
You only need to fly 10k EQP to hit PLT when doing a challenge. For those who don't have time/money to fly 50k EQM to qualify, they can just fly 10k miles at whatever fare that offers full EQP per mile and pay the fee which would still be cheaper and quicker than qualifying the normal way.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Platinum status takes 50k eqm, 50k eqp or 60 segments. Paid challenges get you to that status very quickly. One long-haul trip in premium (1.5 eqp per mile) or discount economy (1.0 eqp per mile) and you can be mid-level elite. That way, you can earn 100% bonus miles, enjoy lounge access and better upgrade odds on the rest of your flights that year. Qualifying the hard way means you don't enjoy those benefits until you've flown 50k eqm or 50k eqp or 60 segments.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
OK, just to hijack the thread slightly, can anyone explain what the point of a status challenge is?! As in, why would I pay money to do one?

If I'm going to be flying to China in April, Australia in May, and New Zealand (via Oz in August & Fiji in Dec) plus half a dozen US flights then I'll rack up the miles for PLT after the first Oz trip in May: wouldn't I get PLT status at that point anyway? Surely I'm missing something here, but I've read through the various stickies and nowhere does it say why anyone would pay money to do this challenge.
I did it last year for the 100% bonus miles. Got about an extra 20,000 miles after a TPAC earlier. This allowed me to book an upcoming TATL vacation for my wife and I on miles. I wouldn't have had enough in time without the challenge. Saved me more money than I spent.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:16 pm

Let's get back to the original point. paying for status from the OP's situation does not seem to make sense. Doesn't even fly enough on UA to get status. The OP is probably hopping for that uppgrade is the reason for the post. reality is unlikely to happen.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Given your flying habits, I'm not sure its worth the $$, but there is an add'l thing to consider: AA's traditional "soft landing" policy for elites. which means that if you fail to requalify for PLT, you will drop down to Gold, so via the PLT challenge you could end up w/AA status for 2+ years.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Given your flying habits, I'm not sure its worth the $$, but there is an add'l thing to consider: AA's traditional "soft landing" policy for elites. which means that if you fail to requalify for PLT, you will drop down to Gold, so via the PLT challenge you could end up w/AA status for 2+ years.
let's get serious cant even hit low class silver on on UA so it's not the issue. trying to score that uprade on transatlantic is what's going on.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your comments, especially bdemaria who brings up an interesting point. I realize I don't fly that often compared to most people on here. I guess my question came down to whether the benefits of Platinum are that much better than gold. Yes there is double miles but if I fly 10,000 miles this year at a valuation of .02 that is still only $200. As far as the lounges go on international flights I'm sure I can buy passes online (if its anything like United). I still think I will do the Gold challenge but probably will not do the platinum.

Also this is one of the reasons I love flyertalk, unlike other forums I know I will get multiple answers, with multiple opinions, in a short amount of time
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by DevilsX
You only need to fly 10k EQP to hit PLT when doing a challenge. For those who don't have time/money to fly 50k EQM to qualify, they can just fly 10k miles at whatever fare that offers full EQP per mile and pay the fee which would still be cheaper and quicker than qualifying the normal way.

Ah. That is clear then. Well, colour me Missing The Obvious now that you've pointed it out.

Thank you to all who answered!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.